[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Evil Sat Fats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: faturatedsats.jpg (40 KB, 660x371) Image search: [Google]
faturatedsats.jpg
40 KB, 660x371
So how bad are saturated fats? The sticky is very vague about this.

I ask because It's hard to get enough non-saturated fats a day without hitting 20g of sat fat, so is this healthy in the long run? Is there a difference between people who work out/bulking and sedentary schmucks?
>>
How clueless can one person be?
>>
>>35714278

>I ask because It's hard to get enough non-saturated fats a day without hitting 20g of sat fat,

What do you consider enough unsaturated fats and what are you eating to get them?
>>
>>35714291
~30% of my total calories, and I get it mostly from peanut butter, some sort of meat (fish or chicken), 2% milk, nuts, avocado oil
>>
vegetable oil shills recommend less than 10% if daily calories a day, so for 2000 cals a day that's about 20g of sat fat

recent studies show that sat fats have zero effect on cardiovascular health, but poly and mono unsaturated are still superior anyway so a larger percentage should come from them
>>
>>35714314

Possible moves: cut back on total fat, switch to skim milk, eat leaner meat, substitute some meat for legumes
>>
>>35714330

>recommend less than 10% if daily calories a day, so for 2000 cals a day that's about 20g of sat fat

Some recommend <10%, others recommend <7%, and some simply say to eat as little as possible. Really, the less you eat, the better.

>recent studies show that sat fats have zero effect on cardiovascular health

Post what you're referring to and I can set you straight.
>>
Saturated fat is not unhealthy.

/thread
>>
>>35714364
>>35714357
This is where the conflict is: Are they good or bad for you?
>>
>>35714374
They're neither
>>
>>35714374

There's no conflict. Everyone who understands the science is in agreement that saturated fats are bad for human health. There's just a handful of crazy people who refuse to accept that fact.
>>
>>35714278
900ng/dl and 66mg/dl LDLD 61mg/dl HDL 49mg/dl TG master race here;
Daily reminder that I eat 40-50 grams of saturated fat and at least 500mg cholesterol daily

Fucking try whatever diet you like and get your bloods tested and more importantly perhaps, how you feel on the diet. Jesus how hard is it to understand that dietary needs are somewhat relative and depend somewhat on lifestyle and genetics.
>>
File: 1452339153676.jpg (46 KB, 700x348) Image search: [Google]
1452339153676.jpg
46 KB, 700x348
they're not evil at all

if your genetics are complete dogshit you may need to avoid them later in life, but for a healthy young adult who has his overall calories in check it's not a problem at all.
>>
>>35714403

>get laughed out of one thread
>find another to say your bullshit in
>>
>>35714389
Then what about testosterone production?
>>
>>35714389
>muh lipid hypothesis

Saturated fats are fine and almost a necessity if doing keto.
>>
>>35714389
fuck off back to the 1980's you clown
>>
>>35714457

What about it?

>>35714461

>muh denialism

Keto is stupid too
>>
File: undue skepticism.png (910 KB, 1015x698) Image search: [Google]
undue skepticism.png
910 KB, 1015x698
>>35714477

Yes, every group of nutrition experts in the world is stuck decades in the past and it's just you and a handful of fringe bloggers who are current enough in your extensive knowledge of the science to know that grease is perfectly healthy to consume. Do vaccines cause autism too?
>>
OP here. I'm still very confused. Just like the google results I'm pulling up, I see shit going both ways.
>>
>>35714278
Buy leaner meats

>>35714457
Low fat diets do confer a slight reduction in test, but not enough to make any sort of impact on your gains. Generally speaking unless it knocks you out of range, it's irrelevant. There is a reason why pro's pin and not gorge on lard.
>>
>>35714501
OP, you're not going to find a good answer. Nutritional studies are extremely prone to bias, usually correlational, and enormously expensive to conduct definitively, so there's always doubt. Most of the science says saturated fats in excess are harmful. Given that, just don't go overboard and you will be okay. Things will be okay.
Don't stress out so much. Just do your best. Even if you have the best diet in the world, as a person in a first-world country, odds are pretty good you'll die from heart disease or cancer (if you're lucky).
>>
>>35714501

>Just like the google results I'm pulling up, I see shit going both ways

Okay, well compare who is saying what.

On the side of "avoid saturated fats," you have literally every group of scientists and esteemed medical professionals who specialize in this sort of thing, and on the side of "eat all the saturated fat you want" you have paleo websites, people selling diet books and supplements, and random blogs looking for attention

As the American Heart Association says in its FAQ on saturated fats, "when you hear about the latest 'diet of the day' or a new or odd-sounding theory about food, consider the source. "

http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/HealthyEating/Nutrition/Frequently-Asked-Questions-About-Saturated-Fats_UCM_463756_Article.jsp#.VqHVlpRrVEI
>>
>>35714498
where did you learn to argue, you fucking brainwashed mental midget?

> Do vaccines cause autism too?
so you think fat is evil, do you also believe 9/11 was an inside job?

morons like you cannot even begin to comprehend the damage those assholes did to public health with their bad science. the number of people they killed with their propaganda for trans fats instead of animal fats warrants rounding them up and publicly executing.
>>
>>35714278
listen you f****** retard are you going to spend your whole life counting your saturated fats just eat them in moderation f****** idiot
>>
>>35714546

Wipe the tears away

>so you think fat is evil

No, I just agree with the rest of the world that saturated fats aren't a healthy type of fat. It sounds like you're very emotionally invested in this
>>
>>35714537
>As the American Heart Association
Is that like the American Rifle Association which insists on granting people on no fly lists untraceable guns ?

you understand that your country is so fucking corrupt that no one will trust any organization of shills in it, right?
>>
File: patrick.png (231 KB, 471x354) Image search: [Google]
patrick.png
231 KB, 471x354
>>35714580

wut
>>
>>35714364
>>35714421

This.

And as always, everything in moderation etc.

Just avoid eating a bunch of transfat, and you're fine.
>>
>>35714580
Man there are some stupid people on /fit/ but you're something else kid
>>
>>35714422
I can find studies showing athletes improve their bloodwork, strength, endurance, serum testosterone due to eating a higher fat diet.
I can find studies that oppose the findings of the studies you cite.

The people who push your low fat diet range from vegans to bodybuilders injecting hormones and guys who work on bodybuilding.com and put up articles on eating clean and buying supplements from their website.

The people who advocate and follow my type of diet include 95% of professional athletes from track athletes and swimmers to old school bodybuilders and power lifters, many of whom this board idolizes.

If you're so concerned with eating low fat all the time then God help you, because you probably have shit genetics or have been deluded by VG and Michael Greger et al.
>>
>>35714580
holy shit guiz u r all duped by the doctor sheeple, they all lie and its a conspiracy - but my doctor isnt in on it hes cool adn i have some websites that back me up you idiots
>>
Monitor your own fucking health. Get lipid panels. If you're eating whatever you think is a moderate amount of saturated fat, and your LDL and blood pressure are in check, then whatever.
>>
>>35714580
The no fly list - guns thing is more about violation of 4th amendment rights, your 2nd amentment right can only be taken away by due process of law. Being put on a list which has in the past included notorious terrorists like Cat Stevens is not due process of law.

The no fly list itself has only gotten by because there is no bill of rights amendment for getting on an airplane.
>>
Many pediatricians claim that breastmilk is the ultimate food for babies. About 40-50% of the calories in breastmilk come from saturated fat.
>>
>>35714389
I bet he thinks dietary cholesterol is bad too. I'm laffin.
>>
I am 52, eat sat fats all the time; Macadamia Nuts, Avocados, Coconut Oil, Butter, Cheeses, Full fat yogurt.

I am about to do an hour of fasted cardio with 20 mg Yohimbine HCL and a cup of strong black coffee.
>>
>>35714314
peanut butter is a nice protein source
>>
>"""healthy"""
kek you morons, as long as it isn't outright poison you can eat whatever the fuck you want in moderation and in accordance to your goals, as some anon(s) has already pointed out

>hurr is X healthy
>durr is Y unhealthy
Just stop. Having to ask what is """""""""healthy""""""""" is on the same plane as having fat logic.
>>
>>35717617
still not dead halfway into my cardio workout
>>
>>35717617
>52
>Still on 4chan
I really hope I can get out of this shithole within the next couple years.
>>
File: hell_forever_and_ever.jpg (118 KB, 413x310) Image search: [Google]
hell_forever_and_ever.jpg
118 KB, 413x310
>>35718346
Give up.. no hope.. this is your destiny.
>>
http://nutritionfacts.org/2013/02/12/less-cancer-in-vegan-men-despite-more-testosterone/
>>
>>35714278
Find me a single study that shows sat fats are dangerous, which controls for weight, exercise, and caloric intake.
>>
>>35714278
canola oil, fatty fish like salmon, most nuts... plenty of sources of monos / polys.

ur high saturated is coming from the peanut butter (most likely common brands with added fats to keep them solid at room temp) milk and avocados

RULE OF THUMB

liquid fats are optimal (canola/olive pil, fish, nuts, white meat poultry, etc)
solid fats are suboptimal (lard/crisco, red meat, pork, dark meat from poultry, avocado, etc)

TIPS
grass feed beef has a better omega6/3 profile, too high omega 6 is inflammatory and contributes to heart disease
canola oil actually has a better lipid profile than olive oil and its cheaper
100g of almonds has more potassium than 100g of banana while also being higher calorie, mostly healthy fats and a small amount of carb mostly fiber

also make ur carbs as low as possible while maintaining micros
>>
>>35719703

Virtually every nutrition study in existence does that, regardless of what's being studied.
>>
>>35719909

Grass fed is a meme. It barely has any omega-3 anyway and red meat is always going to be inflammatory partly because it has so much of the molecule neu5gc

http://health.ucsd.edu/news/releases/Pages/2014-12-29-sugar-molecule-in-red-meat-linked-to-cancer.aspx
>>
File: iu[1].jpg (83 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
iu[1].jpg
83 KB, 600x800
>>35714278
do you by any chance live in a cave?
>2016
>(saturated) fat is bad meme
YOU
ARE
NEVER
GONNA
MAKE
IT
fagot
>>
>>35720011

>journalists are scientists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIZaZq5lUew
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ftoy6jqxm8
>>
>>35719951
i said better not good or optimal so thanks for backin me up
>>
>>35719909
>too high omega 6 is inflammatory and contributes to heart disease
Fuck man there goes bulking on pecans and peanut butter. Also, what's worse with solid fats as opposed to liquid fats? For example, take an avocado - is avocado oil better than just eating an avocado outright?
>>
>>35716823
>I have never published and have no formal education on lipid biology
>i have no idea how to read science, look at the totality of evidence, or do a lit review
>my armchair pseudo-intellectual broscience opinion is fact and anyone who disagrees with me is a shill or a vegan with bad genes
the crackpot index is off the charts and i don't even know what other thread the person you're replying to is talking about
>>
>>35719684
>but this was offset by higher sex hormone binding globulin
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.