[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Today I maxed out on bench press for the first time , I was able
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
Today I maxed out on bench press for the first time , I was able to bench 205 twice , and then 210 once , My question is do you actually build muscle only doing one or two reps at your max ability , thx
>>
You only build muscle if you use steroids

Anyone who says any different is on steroids
>>
File: 1451100339627.jpg (64 KB, 609x960) Image search: [Google]
1451100339627.jpg
64 KB, 609x960
>>35712434
I guess I should also add that I worked up to this , I didnt just jump straight into the max weights , do you guys when you do bench press work up to a max weight every time or do you guys just go for higher rep with lower weight.
>>
>>35712511
Long term its best to go for volume, in the 5-8 rep range x 3 to 5 sets.

Building muscle is all about volume, which you don't get with one or two reps.

But if you are trying to be a fat powerlifter then yes 1 rep maxes are how you increase overall strength, at the sacrifice of aesthetics.
>>
I don't know what it is about your post, but I get the impression that you're really fucking dumb
>>
you'll bulk up fat if you just do 1 rep maxes, keep it 3-5 for strength and strong aesthetics
>>
>>35712906
>>35712955

Shut the fuck up you underaged retards

God damn I hate this site sometimes
>>
>>35712434

Some, but not a huge amount. Total volume is (mostly) how you build muscle and its hard to get a lot of that if you're constantly maxing out.

How you get that total volume is up to you. 10x3, 3x10, 5x6, etc will all work about the same in terms of muscle mass.
>>
>>35712993
someones pissy, how about you actually contribute faggot?
>>
>>35713019
elaboration: total volume is how you build metabolic substrate. metabolic substrate is serum. the water it is stored in is non compressible. More metabolic substrate in the muscles means bigger, firmer muscles.
>>
>>35712993
spotted the fat powerlifter
>>
>>35712434

1-3 rep sets are fine so long as you do a lot of sets of it. You need a certain amount of total reps at least 60% of your max. Depending on your training age you'll need more or less reps. So say you're an intermediate doing bench, you want at least ~30 reps TOTAL at 60% of your 1RM over all your sets. You can still get equally big doing very low rep sets but it's not as efficient time wise as you need more rest time and a lot more sets.

>>35712906
>But if you are trying to be a fat powerlifter then yes 1 rep maxes are how you increase overall strength, at the sacrifice of aesthetics.

You were nearly right until your started with that utter horse shit. A powerlifter trains in the lower rep ranges because it's more specific to meets and they need to get used to maximal loading. They still do the requisite amount of volume, which is absolutely required for strength AND hypertrophy. Strength =/= aesthetics is a meme that needs to die.
>>
you can definitely build strength but very low rep work isn't good for building mass. if you disagree ask eugene sandow, it's what he did to build his extremely dense muscle without acquiring too much size. it also depends on your calorie intake a lot.
>>
>>35713135
this.

very low rep sets are fine. its the total volume of the workout that determines the size gains you make. if you are interested in only strength and do not want to pursue size at all, do like 5 sets of 2 reps with like 10-15 minute rest times, every day with the occasional off day. it will give insane strength gains but who has the time for that? its not very practical.

for mass, the same story applies. but since you need to hammer your muscles with more volume in order to challenge them in such a way that your body responds with adding mass to them, you rack up quite a volume with something closer to 15-20 sets, which is even less practical, but this means you cannot do it every day, 3-4 days a week is more appropriate. either way, doing very low reps for size isn't a good idea if size is your only goal, but if you aren't bothered by the amount of time you have to spend on this and you are interested in both size and strength, very low rep work is absolutely god tier.

most people do sets of 5 or something because it means less total sets, which means more efficient workout times so thye can work around a job and shit.
>>
>>35713542

Also because, once you're strong, constant heavy work beats the everliving crap out of you.
>>
>>35713564
yeah. i'd prattle on about periodization if i had the time but i've got to shoot off and get to the paki shop before it shuts.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.