[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want a program based on squats and deadlifts + calisthenics.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
I want a program based on squats and deadlifts + calisthenics. What would you recommend?
>>
anal sex
>>
>calisthenics

I recommend not doing meme exercises
>>
Any help? I love doing squats and deads, but I don't like upper body lifts and I think they take too much of my time. I also like the idea of mastering my own body.
>>
>>35702151
Ive got the perfect workout for you

>Monday - Squats ATG 20x5
>Wednesday - Deadlifts with a slow lower 30x3
>Friday - Calisthenics 20x20 of all of them

for further reading checkout the book "OP is a faggot and sage"
>>
>>35702204
Just do OHP, bench, pullups and rows and you are basically done, Jesus.
>>
>>35702151
Ido portal method. I've been doing it with a powerlifting modification for about 2 years now. Amazing results.
>>
>>35702671
How is your routine brother?
>>
>>35702168

>meme
>a form of exercise that was around before homo sapiens even existed
>meme

Sometimes this place makes me want to kill myself
>>
Hey OP, let me give you a legitimate and well-informed answer. I'll be brief.

You need to start doing gymnastics. Torrent "Overcoming Gravity" by Steven Low. There are a few template programs in the book but after skimming it you should be able to make your own.

A good gymnastics program will contain 3 main elements: static holds (examples: planche, front lever, manna, iron cross, handstands, ), dynamic movements (examples: transition from L-sit to handstand, front lever to back lever, etc), and calisthenics (pullups, pushups, etc).

Many of these feats require incredible strength and balance and you will not be able to do them right away, the same way you will not be able to deadlift 600lb right away. The key is consistency and progressive overload.

How do you overload without weights? Increasing leverage. Slowly progressing from easier activities to harder ones. The book outlines good progressions ("Building The Gymnastic Body" by coach Somner does too but it's not as good).

The only equipment you really need is a pullup bar, although dip bars and gymnastics rings help.

You can do these before squats and deadlifts or on a separate day. Train 2-4x a week.

As far as squats and deadlifts go... I'm a big fan of the GZCL program. Since gymnastics involve a lot of core and pulling, you could nix the deadlifts and just squat if you like, and that way you just have one leg day per week to focus on. If you wanted to incorporate conditioning, you could do the Westside For Skinny Bastards 3 speed & conditioning template replacing the upper body days with gymnastics.
>>
>>35702822
That was very thorough and clear, thanks man
>>
>>35702151
I would recommend you READ THE FUCKING STICKY. Now sit your five-dollar ass down, before I decide to make *change*.
>>
>>35702777

the thing is the homo sapiens invented barbells and weights to train himself more effectively

going back to calisthenics is a big waste of time but everyones goals a different

this "place" is more geared towards effective bodybuilding with weights than bodyweight fitness

maybe check out reddit .. they have BWF and Calisthenics communities haha
>>
A: sq 5x5, dips 5x5 & chins 5x5
B: sq 5x5, hspu 5x5 & dl 5x5
>>
>>35702204
Why not do a normal fucking program and just add on calisthentics or whatever monkey shit you want to do? I hate my 330 5x5 volume day squats but doesn't me i'll skip them and same for you and upper body exercises.
>>
I started by doing bodyweight stuff.
Ive made more progress using weights, but I use bodyweight stuff as asseccories, I do skill work at the end of every workout
>>
>>35703077
For upper body, I wouldn't say weights are necessarily more effective. Certainly easier to program. You can show a novice the big three, tell them to do 3x5 and add 10 lb per week and they should hit 225/315/405 in a year. Gymnastics training is complicated. You're not doing the same exact movement and progressing weight, you're doing different movements and progressing leverage. To accomplish a planche, you typically need to master 4 intermediate movements and do at least 2 accessory movements. That's definitely harder than adding 10 lb to your bench per week.

>>35703574
You can definitely progress relatively faster using weights (get bigger and hit "advanced" levels of performance faster).

Also, while it's hard to find good bodyweight exercises for the lower body (besides glute ham raises, back extensions, sprinting, and step-ups; pistols are alright but can irritate the lumbar), they can be incredibly effective for the lower back and hips.

Example: for a male 5'10" and 170 lb, holding a back lever for 6 seconds puts the equivalent load on the lower back and hips as does deadlifting 315 lb for 3 reps. Obviously that is not tremendous, but is strong relative to the general population and noteworthy when considering that force is generated by bodyweight alone and can be SIGNIFICANTLY increased by adding angle weights.

Personally, I rock climb 2x/week, gymnastics 2x/week, yoga 2x/week, and run 2x/week. I used to lift a lot (225 OHP, 405 front squat, 495 sumo DL) but stopped after some lumbar injuries set me back. I'm a lot more athletic now.
>>
>>35702822
BtGB is the old one, Sommer's newer program is Foundation, replaces a lot of the older BtGB information that was less useful to adult practitioners, just fyi. Personally I find it to be extraordinarily slow and if you're intuitive enough with your own body, a different program is better for your goals.

Also: pullups and pushups etc all count as 'dynamic' movements by definition, as they are in motion.

Nitpicky but you decrease leverage. not increase it. Increased leverage makes something easier, you have a greater mechanical advantage against the resistance.

>>35702151
If I were you OP, I'd just throw in some calisthenics stuff based on the SS/SL sort of routine, or I'd do the reddit routine with their pistol squat progression swapped for squat/DL.

That way you get your barbell leg training, which is superior for raw strength than bodyweight training, and then do bodyweight progressions for your vertical/horizontal push/pull exercises.

You'll have to fiddle around with frequency: 3 day fullbody routines may not be enough when you want to do statics as well as dynamics, you may need to switch to four or five days, but early on, three fullbody should be fine.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.