[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What feats of strength/endurance do I need to achieve to be considered
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: michael-phelps_2293977b.jpg (79 KB, 620x387) Image search: [Google]
michael-phelps_2293977b.jpg
79 KB, 620x387
I can do 18 pull ups, bench 3 plates and I can run one mile in 5:38 minutes. And without good technique I can swim 100 meters in 2:30 minutes. Am I and amateur athlete?
>>
Anyhow, I don't call myself an athlete, I think is very pretentious.
>>
Guys?
>>
>>35698717
I just came to say that 100m in 2:30 is absolutely terrible so if you're trying to brag I would omit that next time
>>
You have to compete in a sport unprofessionally (unpaid) that's not a college sport. None of your shitty stats matter so go look into your local USA wrestling tournaments and compete there and you will be an amateur athlete
>>
>>35698717
Do you compete at high level in a competitive sport and obtain no remuneration for doing so? If no then you're not.
>>
>>35698717
>I can swim 100 meters in 2:30 minutes
hahahaha
>>
Maybe if you develop a jump shot.
>>
>>35699531
fucking 0.66m/s good job OP
>>
>>35698717
>100m in 2:30
Back when I played waterpolo I was doing 50m in 33 seconds and I was nowhere near the fastest. And I was 14 at the time.
>>
>>35699477
I'm not bragging, I'm just saying what I am capable of. But I did that time using zero technique, I was just kicking my legs and swinging my arms.
>>
>>35698727
>>35699301

To be considered an amateur athlete maybe, I dunno, play a sport at an amateur level?

> I don't call myself an athlete because it's pretentious

Literally imagine the conversation senpai

> Oh yeah, I'm an athlete

> Really? What sport do you play?

> Oh, I um, I bench pl8s

> Ummmm, but what sport do you play

> Uh, eigh-eigh-eighteen pullups....
>>
>>35700120
>>35700120
Hannibal for king don't play any sport and I think he is an athlete. I think the requirement to be an athlete is more about being VERY fit.

I know guys that are very good at jiu jitsu and can't do 12 pull ups or run 10 miles. They are athletes? I don't think so.
>>
>>35700234
>doesn't play

auto fix'd.
>>
>>35698717

>100 meters
>2:30 minutes

Dis nigga serious?
>>
>>35700234

Yes they are, and OP isn't.

You can't be an athlete at "fit"

You can only be an athlete at a sport.

Look at the fat fucks in the NFL

Or Big Country (Roy Nelson)

Dudes are fucking fat and are top level athletes competing at the highest level of their sports.

I bet Roy couldn't even do one pullup but for sure he would kick everyone in this threads ass
>>
>>35700234

>I think people who can reach an arbitrary benchmark for physical fitness I make up on the spot count as athletes, but people who can't but who train and participate in the kind of sports which aspects of physical fitness are applied to don't.

That's literally the exact opposite of how it works, you dingus. And Hannibal is in a gray area, along with parkour guys and skaters and shit.
>>
>>35700274
>>35700849
>not knowing the difference between being a professional "athlete" and being athletic
An athlete in the physiological sense means you have a high level of strength/endurance, or some combo of those two. A fourth dan black belt in BJJ isn't an athlete just because he has ridiculous skill.
>>
being an athlete means playing a sport you fucking prick
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De7rbB2bteE
thread made me automatically think of this
>>
>>35698717
100 meters should be >1minute for a half trained highschool sophomore
>>
5:38 mile is slow as fuck nigga
5:10-5:15 is entry level high school varsity
to be "decent" you have to break 4:30 at least
>>
Who was a jumper for track in high school?

I jumped 45ft 6inches for triple jump and 20ft 3 inches for long jump. Now that's amateur athlete status there desu
>>
>>35701051
For the average fit person who doesn't know much about swimming I'd say 1:30 is half decent. 2:30? lel
>>
>>35698717
Athlete requires competition.

What races/competitions have you done?
>>
>>35701977
I did 6m for long jump. Not sure how many claps that equates to. I was a hurdler though. Also did 1.84m for high jump but I dropped that as it was wrecking my back
>>
>>35700071

I am 120kg and I can do 100m in just under 2 minutes. You are a disgrace.
>>
>>35698717
The term 'athlete' implies participating in a competitive sport mate.
You cant just lift weights, run by yourself think you're an athlete people will think youre an idiot lol..
So to answer your question: you need to compete and either win or atleast achieve some high placement.
Your runtime is decent try finding a run to join.
>>
>>35700914
>not knowing the difference between being an athletic human being and being an amateur athlete
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.