[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Deadlift Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14
File: deadlift.jpg (193 KB, 900x593) Image search: [Google]
deadlift.jpg
193 KB, 900x593
Here, we discuss all things related to the deadlift.

>Cues you follow?
>Hook grip, mixed, standard?
>Frequency you deadlift?
>What has helped you the most?
>Ever had the misfortune to deadlift with Hex plates?
>Conventional, sumo, semi-sumo?
>>
i deadlift with ezcurl bar, about 100lb counting bar, is this good enough
>>
File: thats bait.gif (1 MB, 400x254) Image search: [Google]
thats bait.gif
1 MB, 400x254
>>35660094
>>
>>35660084
Just posting to say that anybody who advocates
>double overhand exclusively
>conventional as "better" than sumo
>no chalk/belt
is a complete memer and guaranteed 100% dyel
>>
>>35660154
>no belt

But why? It's know that a belt reinforces the core, not weakens it.
>>
>>35660084
Two things, My gym only has hex plates which makes putting the weight on the floor between reps fucking annoying so I pretty much only do singles now without dropping the weight on the negative.

And next, I've been experimenting with a wider grip for two things, lower starting position akin to a deficit deadlift, and upper back utilization. It burns my back like mad, and hits my hamstrings harder than traditional diddlys.

>>35660154
>double overhand exclusively
Using double overhand until it affects diddly performance is beneficial for grip strength. Once the weight surpasses your gripping capabilities over/under or straps should be used.

>no belt
No belt for the exact same reasons as above. Using a belt from the beginning will result in a weaker back than someone who did not use a belt as much as possible.
>>
>>35660181
I'm attacking anyone who would argue against belts lad.
>>
I pulled 5 plate for 8 reps yesterday lads, just a belt and chalk. Pretty rekt today tho

Thanks for reading my blog
>>
>>35660215
Boris Sheiko, who has trained a few dozen more world champions than you or me, has his students belt up for anything over 60kg
>>
>>35660248
fuggin joocy. How long lifting? How often do you DL?
>>
File: kkv.jpg (59 KB, 777x723) Image search: [Google]
kkv.jpg
59 KB, 777x723
>>35660250

You don't need belts to succeed, and not everyone benefits from them. Klokov is a major example.

But yeah belts aren't a bad thing.

>>35660248

Wow, 8 reps! Great job bby
>>
>>35660250
Because back development is the limiting factor in diddly gains. By utilizing a belt, it allows for these lifters to become stronger. It is a tool, and I'm not saying it should not be utilized, I'm just saying that it comes with a set of cons, primarily lesser back development
>>
>>35660279
Competing in Pl for tree years, doing deadlift six days a week. One primary day and then five variations like deficit, different stances, speed work, pauses, etc. Normally stick to one work set and one drop set, at around 70%. Bulgarian method is hard and it's boring but it gets results.

>>35660299
Thx bby
>>
>>35660330
I don't think that's actually true though. Why would your back be less developed? All the belt does is remind you to stay properly braced.
>>
use mixed grip/alternative grip whatever you call it. Makes you look more beast i think. watch elliot's video on how to DL. Lift as heavy as you can without breaking form. simple
>>
>>35660299
id do steroids for this physique
>>
Newfag doing SS here, my hands are so small the fingers and thumb don't even touch when wrapped around the barbell. I feel like my grip is giving out before I reach max lift potential. Tried wrist straps, was even harder to grip.

Any suggestions? Was considering buying chalk since the gym I use doesn't have any. Or do I have to suffer the grip growing pains and stunted DL progress while my squat keeps going up?

Also, tried a belt the gym had but didn't seem to help with core support - likely not tight enough at the last notch. How much of a difference does it really make, and should I even worry about investing in one yet?

Many thanks in advance, I've been hoping for a thread like this.
>>
Am I supposed to feel it most in my glutes when deadlifting heavy? Because that's where I feel it, and it feels great!
>>
File: deadlift grip SS.png (296 KB, 1181x705) Image search: [Google]
deadlift grip SS.png
296 KB, 1181x705
>>35660387

>pic related

Also, if you buy chalk, buy the powder and mix it with alcohol (not all at once of course). Then you get liquid chalk for pretty cheap, and it lasts for a looong time.

You don't need a belt at all, don't worry. The difference isn't that big for people who are not trained to use a belt.

>>35660397

Yes, deadlifts are mainly a hamstrings/glutes exercise.
>>
>>35660368
[spoiler]you'd have to desu[/spoiler]

Check out the pics from when he did the bodybuilding comp, about as natural as a twinkie.
>>
File: 1452912066573.gif (914 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
1452912066573.gif
914 KB, 400x300
>>35660084

honest question: how don't your arms get ripped right off when dead lifting. Especially power lifters who lift crazy weight. they're arms should rip right off or their bones should dislocate or something should tear but nothing happens. they used to rip people apart by horses back in the day. how?
>>
File: 405338_604_403.jpg (13 KB, 604x403) Image search: [Google]
405338_604_403.jpg
13 KB, 604x403
>>35660414
>>
>>35660387
>fingers and thumb don't even touch

...on 1.1 inch bar, you'd have a diameter of 3.46 inches to cover. Are you telling me the distance from the tip of your thumb, down your thumb, up the inside edge of your hand, up your pointer finger, and to the tip of your pointer finger, is somehow less than that?
>>
>>35660414

The strongest humans in the world could only barely deadlift a grand. One horse can exert a hell of a lot more force than that and they used a lot of horses.
>>
>>35660387
I'm small handed old fag w/ a bad wrist so grip is also my limiting factor. I train with dowel wrist straps: http://www.schiek.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=61&product_id=204
and I use a hook grip for competition. If you are never going to compete, just use the straps, fuck w/ others think.
>>
>>35660413
how many mgs before i can clean and press two qt3.14's on a beach?
>>
>>35660440
Achievable natty if they are high test enough. And I think it was a squat-to-press.
>>
File: fit.gif (2 MB, 226x200) Image search: [Google]
fit.gif
2 MB, 226x200
>>35660440
Nattys can do one.
>>
Just started at the gym a couple of months ago, have a question.

When do i do deadlifts i'll generally do 5x5 starting at a lower weight and then going for higher than my PB on the last set. Is this bad or good?

Plz no bully
>>
>>35660460
>> holding clean a little too long

is this the seat sniffer from earlier today?
>>
>>35660478

As a beginner you should warm up instead of doing ramping sets. The difference basically is that warmups are not supposed to tire you.

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program#How_do_I_warm_up_properly_for_my_training_sessions.3F
>>
>>35660478
It's literally linear progression, it's fine. Won't last for too long though.
>>
>Cues you follow?
If you can get the bar past your knee, you've won the lift. Don't give up. Sometimes what feels too heavy will be fine if you just keep pushing.

Its a push, not a pull. If you're pulling the bar you're going to pull a muscle. You should be pushing the bar with your legs; your back only works to keep itself straight. You're not pulling it with your back, you're pushing with your legs while keeping your back straight.

I usually mix grip on the heavier loads. Standard when its not too heavy, to work on grip strength. I switch my mix grip every few reps.

>Frequency you deadlift?

I deadlift pretty much every day... I'd say on average 5 days a week.

Consistency. When your back hurts too much, take it easy. Every day isn't max day. I went from 225 to 385 in 5 months.

>>35660387

grill?

>>35660431

Horses weigh 1000-3000 lbs. I'm pretty sure they can pull way more than their body weight.
>>
>>35660517

>If you can get the bar past your knee, you've won the lift.

Not true tho
>>
>>35660404

T-thanks trappy-chan!

Is there anything else I should do with my thumb though? It doesn't reach the index to overlap at all to close the grip and support the fingers. I squeeze tightly against the meaty part of the palm and do the best I can, but the fingers carry the entire weight.

My fingers give out long before my back. ;_;
>>
>>35660503
Will it still be beneficial to do ramping sets? Or would i get more progression from warming up and then doing 1x5 of diddy lifts?
>>
>>35660521

No, its true. Its a deadlift. The hardest part of the lift is overcoming the initial intertia. If you just keep moving, you've got it. Now if you're a pussy who stops when things get hard, you lose momentum. And then you might fail. but don't be a pussy.
>>
>>35660517
>Deadlifting every day
Wanna know how I know you're not going heavy enough?
>>
>>35660521
It's true unless you seriously let yourself round to break the floor, which is a bad idea.
>>
>>35660517
>Its a push, not a pull. If you're pulling the bar you're going to pull a muscle. You should be pushing the bar with your legs; your back only works to keep itself straight. You're not pulling it with your back, you're pushing with your legs while keeping your back straight.

But I think you've overstated your claim here. It's absolutely a pull, even the most flat-backed ultrawide sumo is still a pull, and yes you're still pulling with your back.
>>
>>35660537

That's only true of sumo. A lot of conventional pulls diet at or above the knees because of positioning issues.
>>
>>35660517

Poster of >>35660387

Yes, 5'4" 150lbs from 240. Cut with just diet/cardio until stalled at 160.

Finally got babby's first lmao1pl8 deadlift for reps last week!
>>
>>35660577
>It's absolutely a pull, even the most flat-backed ultrawide sumo is still a pull, and yes you're still pulling with your back.

Your back is definitely pulling, just to keep itself straight against the weight. But you can't think of it as a pull. People who think of the lift as a pull are on a trap to backsnap city. Your legs are doing the heavy lifting. Your back is just pulling hard enough to prevent spinal curvature. Its a secondary isometric aspect of the lift (although a very intense one.)
>>
File: 1450849643940.jpg (51 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1450849643940.jpg
51 KB, 700x700
>>35660084
whats going to happen to me if i used mixed grip but never swap hands? been doing this for over a year and i dont notice any asymmetries. am i going to fuck my shit up?
>>
>>35660627
There is ***some*** risk of a biceps tear and ***some*** risk of slight upper back imbalances but mostly no, no real issue as long as you're adequately tightening your back before you lift. Wouldn't hurt to do some of your sets with the opposite setup though.
>>
>>35660603
See, I don't think of hinge (i.e. legs doing the pulling) as 'not a pull.' Hams, glutes, erectors, those are the biggies. And then obviously every other muscle in your body pretty much.
>>
>>35660526

The fingers are supposed to carry the entire weight. Don't worry about your thumb, it's just there to help prevent the bar from slipping.

>>35660537
>>35660567

No it's not. Once you start lifting heavy weights you will see that failing the lockout is pretty common.
>>
>>35660649
For conventional lifters pulling max weights who compromised their position at the start of the lift in order to get the bar moving off the floor, yes. You also have no idea what my lifts are or how long I've been lifting.
>>
Hook grip/Double Overhand up to 4 plates, then mixed grip.
I am strongest with sumo, despite being 6'. Probably due to scoliosis in my mid/upper spine, so sumo is better, but I still train conventional, especially when doing deficit.
Deadlift every 3 days, always heavy. Straps for volume or deficit days, only to conserve grip/calluses for the "from the floor" days.

I've played around with "semi-sumo", and had decent results, but I still have to go full sumo anytime I go above 405. Current max is 565, hoping for 605 by the Intramural meet in March at my uni so I can set a record for my weight class (205 or 215).

Belt for anything over 495.

Most help? Deadlift often, and heavy. I didn't deadlift for the first 6 or 8 months (been lifting for 2 years now), I would probably be pulling 6 plates by now if I had started right away.
>>
>>35660646
>See, I don't think of hinge (i.e. legs doing the pulling) as 'not a pull.' Hams, glutes, erectors, those are the biggies. And then obviously every other muscle in your body pretty much.

I usually think of my quads as actually lifting the bar by pushing off the ground. My back has the hardest job in keeping my back straight and erecting itself, but there is no way in hell I could lift that weight with my back alone, whereas I could easily lift it with my quads.

I don't mean to say that there isn't a lot of pulling in the back and hamstrings, and the back really bears the brunt as a limiting lifter, but the point is that you're PUSHING the bar off the ground with your legs while keeping your back straight, taking care not go get ahead of yourself by trying to lift the weight with your back and then straighten your legs after
>>
>>35660299
trappy pics when?
>>
>>35660387

I call bullshit. I have small as fuck hands and have no problem gripping the bar.

If you can't propery grip a 1.2 Inch barbell your either a fucking liar, don't know how to hold a bar properly, or your 4 years old.
>>
>>35660646

Basically if you can't deadlift the bar with straight legs then its not a pull. Its a push.
>>
>>35660725
I do barbell rows with slightly bent legs, is that a push?

>>35660707
This t.b.h., if you can get your hand around your boyfriend's cock, you can get it around a bahbill.
>>
>>35660084
I just tried changing my deadlift set up after watching this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeNKfG7fpmA

It feels weird, I'm not sure if I'm gonna go with this or not. I feel like I can get my core tighter but I feel like it makes my hamstrings less tight. I'll give it 4 more weeks before making my decision.
>>
>>35660733
>I do barbell rows with slightly bent legs, is that a push?

Man you aren't deadlifting right. Its basically a modified squat. You and I are doing completely different lifts.

Go deadlift with STRAIGHT legs. You will feel a PULL in your hams and back, and you will PULL the weight up.

Now go do a proper deadlift. You will PUSH up with your legs and your back will follow

What do you max then buddy
>>
>>35660753
>modified squat.
AAAAAbsolutely not. If you think this, you are just wrong, sorry. A squat is a primary knee bend, a hinge is a primary hip bend. It's is arguably a push (ish) until around knee height and that's all I'll give you.
>>
File: wakarimasenllol.jpg (102 KB, 808x540) Image search: [Google]
wakarimasenllol.jpg
102 KB, 808x540
>>35660084
I use hook and mixed grip, conventional 415 max. DL once a week. Thinking about upping the frequency.

I've also found putting fitness tape on the bar helps with my grip better than using chalk.
>>
>>35660404
>tfw I'm that guy picking off dead skin on his hand between deadlift sets
>tfw people freak about my hands because I don't use lotion
>>
File: 84_1[1].jpg (111 KB, 275x275) Image search: [Google]
84_1[1].jpg
111 KB, 275x275
>>35660753
You are so wrong famillia, unless you're talking about deadlifts retarded cousin the hack squat, pic related, in which case yes it is a modified squat. However, having the weight in front of your legs is primarily a hamstring movement, which are pull muscles -- they pull your knees in line with your upper body.

Long story short "push" and "pull" are arbitrary labels and really who gives a fuck
>>
>>35660084
I'm just going to follow the format that OP has for ?'s cause I'm not creative.
>Cues
Pull the slack out of the bar, push with your legs, chest up
>grip
mixed for a long time, now exclusively hook
>frequency
1x/wk
>what has helped
squat more often and DL shoots up too
>hex plates
fuck nah brah, but my old gym had 45s that were a smaller diameter so it was like pulling at a constant deficit
>stance
conventional for life

Pulled 345x5 last wed this week going for 355x5
>>
>>35660661

I know you haven't been lifting for long or have a heavy DL since you don't realise how hard the lockout is.
>>
>>35660084
>>Cues you follow?
"Abs, lats. Grip, sit, pull"
>>Hook grip, mixed, standard?
Mixed mah nigga
>>Frequency you deadlift?
Usually twice a week
>>What has helped you the most?
Lots of work in the 75-85% range, paused deadlifts right off the floor, RDLs.
>>Ever had the misfortune to deadlift with Hex plates?
Yes, fuck. My last gym had fucking everything you could want except round plates, it was a tragedy.
>>Conventional, sumo, semi-sumo?
Full on sumo, but not that wide. Depends on you/your build, but most people will be stronger sumo.
>>
>>35660330
Well folks. This is bullshit.
>>
>>35660909
It's amazing, he's capable of typing whole sentences but he doesn't seem to be able to read them.
>>
>>35660951

I read it and you are completely wrong.
Just take a look at any PL competition. People almost never fail to get the bar off the floor, but people fail lockouts all the time.
>>
>>35660960
Ohhh he almost finished the whole sentence this time folks!

Also, sumo dudes do NOT fail lockout.
>>
http://www.strengtheory.com/masters-world-champion-improved-total-40-kg-3-months/

wew laddie
>>
>>35660992
What the fuck is Streng Theory? Or is that Strength Oery?
>>
>>35660084
>Line up the bar parallel to the wooden planks that make up the centre of the platform, focus on one stationary point directly in front of me at roughly head height
>over-under grip for working sets, double overhand for warm-up sets
>2x week frequency
>Learning from experienced lifters from the very beginning; being told to make it feel like "you're pushing through the floor rather than pulling the weight up"; using chalk
>never even seen hex plates irl
>conventional
>>
>>35660223
They're pretty unnecessary until you're well up into the 300s, unless you're a female or have back issues.
>>
>>35661015
It's supposed to be strength theory. The TH is shared between strength and theory.

Kinda dumb but the site is legit. Greg Nuckols knows his stuff.
>>
>>35661300
Kek I know, I was pulling your leg
>>
>>35661311
Okay, I'm a different person anyway.
>>
>>35661192
when do you think the ideal time to start using a belt? will they help break plateaus? my 1rm is stuck at 415 and i never used a belt in my life
>>
>>35660154
Some people are stronger not doing sumo, which is why I don't.
>>
>tfw skip deadlift to highbar squat
>get highbar squat to 4 pl8s atg
>tried deadlifting today and could hardly deadlift 2 pl8s when I used to deadlift 3 pl8s

back to skipping dead memes
>>
File: 1447885428265.jpg (12 KB, 290x218) Image search: [Google]
1447885428265.jpg
12 KB, 290x218
>>35660084
>>Cues you follow?
m8 nothing works under heavy loads, I just clench my teeth and pull. I forget all cues as soon as I pull the slack. Thankfully my form is OK, I've checked my videos.
>>Hook grip, mixed, standard?
Double overhand in light days and warmups, mixed in heavy worksets because I am too much of a faggot for hook.
>>Frequency you deadlift?
Light snatch grip on Monday, heavy conventional on Friday.
>>What has helped you the most?
Food and sleep. Seriously.
>>Ever had the misfortune to deadlift with Hex plates?
No
>>Conventional, sumo, semi-sumo?
Conventional (very narrow), sumo is gay and cheating. With sumo the more you open legs the less ROM you do, and then there's deadlift bars etc. Might as well do a split in front of the bar and count it as a lockout.
>mfw people say "bro just leg press the ground away from the bar"
Also, conventional means hands outside shins and sumo means hands inside shins. What the fuck is a semi sumo?
>>
Sup guys, dyel here. At what weight should I start using a belt? I've been repping 205 and will be moving up to 2 pl8 soon.
>>
>>35661749
>m8 nothing works under heavy loads, I just clench my teeth and pull. I forget all cues as soon as I pull the slack. Thankfully my form is OK, I've checked my videos.
I'm happy you point that out because I've been stressing over that way too much.
I suppose correct form it's something that happens if you DL a lot and develop more kinesthetic awareness.

I imagine it's similar to driving manual. I set next to a mate, we were standing at red lights and he said "I forgot for a moment what I have to do with my feet." but then stopped thinking about it and it was fine.
>>
>>35661300

>Greg Cuckols knows his stuff

No he doesn't. He wrote an article about how hamstrings make squatting harder. He should off himself.
>>
>>35662685
Just make sure you receive feedback one way or another, like with videos, a spotter, something.
Good luck.
>>
>>35660084
what kind of physique would i get from doing only deadlifts lads. they're the only exercise i actually like and i need to stay motivated
>>
>tfw so close to lmao4pl8 I can almost smell it

On another note I wish the >sumo is a meme memers to fuck off already. It's even spreading to the normies.
>>
>>35660084
>Cues you follow?
Shins to the bar, squeeze the everloving fuck out of the bar, don't overextend at the top
Standard for warmups, mixed for work sets
>Frequency you deadlift?
Once or twice a week
Focusing on squeezing the bar, doing doubles instead of singles for max
>Ever had the misfortune to deadlift with Hex plates?
Yes, shit blows
>Conventional, sumo, semi-sumo?
Conventional, SLDL for a warmup to fire up the hammies
>>
>>35660250
Porbably for legal reasons lel
>>
>>35660330
Nigga do you even know how a belt works?
>>
>>35661396
Use a belt and see, cause it probably will help, and if you aren't using chalk start using chalk
>>
gripping the bar as tight as possible pre pull is so effective, it's ridiculous.
completely rid me of my grip strength problems.
>>
>>35664082
>gripping the bar as tight as possible pre pull is so effective, it's ridiculous.
This, fucking this. Almost every grip problem is because of technique rather then strength.
>>
>>35664082
elaborate please
I have those gripping problems
@ 150 kg on the second or the third rep the fingers of my left hand just unfold and I must mix grip... what should I do
>>
>>35664610

Mix grip
>>
>>35664610
To be able to double overhand 150kg is still pretty impressive tbqhwyf
>>
>>35664638
I do but it seems that strong man can do more overhead?
>>35664645
10x, that brings som reference i have set my goal to 240kg 1RM, and currently am @ 180kg... Obviously, I will have to use gripping aids. Up until now I assumed that its just my left hand which is weak and should do something to make it stronger...
>>
>>35664695
overhead = double overhand
>>
>>35660084

just started using a shrug bar, initial impressions are good.
>>
>>35664695
They're either hookgripping or using straps, which are often allowed in strongman. Nobody is DOH massive weights.
>>
Mixed grip, 1 day a week, pulled 201kg a year ago, now stuck at 183 since I dropped 10lbs because I'm retarded. I don't wear a belt because it makes me feel too uncomfortable, but I feel like I need to start sometime soon. Also, my shoes are shit and I need recommendations.
>>
>>35664898
Wrestling shoes are cheap and work well
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.