[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My deadlifts today felt particularly shit. Lower back ached
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: dodlift.png (1 MB, 722x1018) Image search: [Google]
dodlift.png
1 MB, 722x1018
My deadlifts today felt particularly shit. Lower back ached quite a bit during and after. But I think it was mostly muscular so I'm not too worried. So I decided might aswell ask for advice on my form.

Apologizing for the vertical camera. First vid is of 95kg, last warmup set. And second is 110kg, working set.

https://youtu.be/AFOC-B_o8Sk?t=26

https://youtu.be/DZbRSdbKxew?t=63

I've put both links around the time I start the lift.

I notice the neck bending shit, so no need to consider that. I don't feel any, but it looks like some lower back curving on some reps. Is this within the acceptable area? How should I fix, otherwise?

Also I'd appreciate advice on lowering the bar. It felt especially awkward today for some reason. Doesn't feel like it's traveling straight.

Bonus question; is it normal to sometimes get light friction burns on your forearms when deadlifting in sweat pants? Arms make contact with legs during some ascents and some descents.
>>
>>35601732
You have really long legs, so of course your form isn't going to be textbook.
The thing about any compound movement is that not everyone is built equally. In your case, it's impossible to keep your shins vertical and prevent your back from being at a low angle to the ground.
You can't do anything about that. Your pulls will never be strong unless you pull sumo or allow your back to round. Pick your poison.
>>
>>35601776
Can't he do deficit deadlifts?
>>
File: IMG_20160113_192742.jpg (121 KB, 608x832) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160113_192742.jpg
121 KB, 608x832
>>35601776
Do I? As a 170cm manlet body part proportions are something I've never thought about.
>>
Not too bad.
No need to lower your hips as much as you do before you lift.
Walk up to the bar and place the middle of your foot directly under it(should place the bar an inch or 2 away from your shins). Grab the bar and bend your knees until your shins touch the bar. Then just set your back in extension, the same way you already do, but without lowering the hips.

Just watch this, really:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToXDFLXL1uo

When lowering the bar, just bend at the hips first, and only bend the knees once the bar has passed them
>>
File: IMG_20160113_192721.jpg (116 KB, 608x832) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160113_192721.jpg
116 KB, 608x832
>>35601864
>>35601776
Side pic
>>
File: Lamar Grant Deadlift.jpg (18 KB, 248x417) Image search: [Google]
Lamar Grant Deadlift.jpg
18 KB, 248x417
>>35601831
He can do anything to strengthen his posterior chain that he damn well chooses, but because of the way he is built, his deadlifts will either be weak or look like shit.

People who are good deadlifters have shitty form- they rely on their lumbar to muscle the weight up.

Pic related; Lamar Gant. Also look at Konstantin Konstantinovs, George Leeman or Pete Rubish.

Good deadlifter = shitty form (or sumo)

And I know there are exceptions to the rule, but when I say 'Good deadlifter', I'm referring to lifters whose deadlift is by far better than their squat and bench press.
>>
File: eww.jpg (36 KB, 600x360) Image search: [Google]
eww.jpg
36 KB, 600x360
>>35601864

them face genetics
>>
>>35601864
>>35601873

No, you have much better squat proportions than deadlift. Long torso and short femurs. Deadlift likely won't be your best lift if you train both adequately.
>>
>>35601915
Ironically my squat was at 80kg before I injured my knee recently. Whereas DL PB is at 120.

Worst case I've got weighted pullups.
>>
>>35601864
nice dick OP
>>
>>35601905
I'm sorry to say that the picture in question even hides several other shortcomings.
>>
>>35601942
ignore this >>35601915
I didn't realize you were also OP at first. You appear to have pretty long femurs and short shins. You're certainly more built for deadlift, and like I said, your form will probably break down when you work with maximal weight.

You should focus on strengthening your hamstrings and glutes to combat this.

>>35601831
As he says, deficit deadlifts will work. So will pulling with proper form that engages the hamstrings and glutes through the whole movement. Keep your hips low and activate the posterior chain
>>
>>35602001
Any particular exercises other than squats recommended for this?
>>
>>35601732
damn thats like Geo's deadlift form from barbell brigade, how come you didnt visited snap city yet? deload to bar dude
>>
>>35602028
Lunges, glute ham raise, hip thrust, romanian or stiff-leg deadlift, low bar squats, box squats

Anything that puts an emphasis on your glutes and hamstrings
>>
>>35602044
Can't snap babbyweights m8.
>>
File: 1451066463769.png (284 KB, 736x736) Image search: [Google]
1451066463769.png
284 KB, 736x736
Yea, like other anons said, your form isn't terrible, but work on hamstrings and glutes. Also, don't know what program you're doing, but I'd recommend to try 5/3/1 Boring But Big variation for a while in which you do 5x10 deads with lighter weight after your woking sets on squat/dead day, that will help to strengthen everything you need for deadlifting and make deadlifting a bit more pleasant
>>
>>35602139
>5/3/1 BBB
>the slowest program possible
back to plebbit with you
SS+gomad is what i recommend, also deload to the bar and make sure to fix your form
>>
>>35602182
That's what I came here asking. How do I fix it? What are the problems? Just telling me to deload and fix isn't very helpful.
>>
>>35602236
Your hips rise too fast because your glutes and hamstrings aren't strong enough to pull them down.

To elaborate on your body morphology: your hips rise fast- your knees lock out before your hips- your torso is not upright enough- your shins are past 90 degrees at the start of the pull

All of those phrases address one issue, one issue which revolves around your weak hamstrings
>>
>>35601732
Sup op. If you allow me to interject, the back ache might be because you hyper extend at the top and you do it explosively, putting strain on lumbar area. Try to be more gentle. No need to lean back
>>
>>35601732

Your form is absolutely fine srs
>>
>>35602344
>>35601732
also what other said you lock your knees first (hips shooting up). Practice form by shoving but forward (like thrusting into a pussy)
>>
>>35602354
It's not though. Look how much his hips rise before the weight comes off the ground.
>>
>>35602378
not him but that would be fine if it happens to load the glutes and hamstrings but the problem is that his hips strike up without rising at the hinge at the same time. He is not doing 1 motion. This indicates weaker glutes or hamstrings. One thing I would suggest that helped me was paused deadlifts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfGrmv-NkI4

These are good for feeling the tension in your ass and hamstrings and learning to use that tension.
>>
>>35602422
i feel it only in my hams but no glutes, how come?
>>
>>35602461
soreness isn't an indicator of correct form or good lift. That being said try to think as thrusting your butt forward (not up) like here >>35602372 and flex your butt as you go
>>
>>35602317
>>35602001
>>35601865
Just wanna clarify on this;

Are my hips too high or too low, generally? Do I want my torso angle to be lower or higher?
>>
>>35602584
Not those guys but let me give some input

You dont want your hips so high that bad mobility keeps you from keeping a straight back, tight hamstrings more specifically. Otherwise it looks good, if you feel strong in that position keep doing it. As you get stronger hamstrings, ass or quads your form will change naturally. Dont stress it.
>>
>>35602584
It's not that they are too high or too low. They look fine in the starting position. It's that they shoot up before the rest of your body. Candito has good videos about this and his stance is pretty horizontal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3EMnj-9Ky0
>>
>>35602612
Yeah, understood that, just wanted to know that detail. Hips shooting up is the primary issue and I'll look into that. Thanks a lot so far guys.
>>
>>35602584
>>35602669
torso angle is more a matter of proportions

For hips aim them to not be too high that they prevent your back from staying straight and not too low that you lose tension in hamstrings
>>
>>35602669
Its one of three things causing it.

1) Weak quads causing you to rely more on your posterior chain
2) Weak posterior chain not being able to hold back when pushing with quads, doubt this is the case though because your back doesnt round
3) Technique
>>
>>35601865
You got me watching form videos for the past 3 hours, thanks
>>
>>35604014
you can never work too little on your form
>>
>>35601732
>not deadlifting 3 plates
>posting on this board

get off please
>>
>>35604654
No
>>
>>35604654
>not deadlifting atleast 200kg
>posting on this board
>>
>>35604654
>Not deadlifting at least 7 plates
>posting on this board
>>
>>35604654
>being an idiot
>posting on the internet
Suicide please.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.