[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sodium Intake
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (158 KB, 1315x1698) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
158 KB, 1315x1698
I keep my diet as essentially pristine as possible, mostly out of enjoyment and health benefits, however there is one stain that I've had trouble shaking, and that is salt.
I feel like there might be some genuine addiction for me in this matter. I often try new spices, sauces, hell I even tried lemon juice last night, and to be honest all of these alternatives are indeed tasty.
My issue though they never reach the same level of enjoyment I have with adding salt instead, I feel as if my brain and tastebuds are so accustomed to it that I find it really difficult at times to stay between 1250-1500 mg a day, though doable (ends up being roughly half a tsp. of added salt a day for my routine.)
As with all dietary plateaus I'm hoping that this too shall pass, and simply be another welcomed norm for myself, but I was wondering for those who actually track and/or know of their daily sodium intake how they manage, or lack thereof.
Do you stay within 1250-1500 my per day?
Do you track it at all?
What are some things you've done to keep it in check?
>>
The only salt I eat is my own jizz you faggot
>>
>>35595707
>I keep my diet as essentially pristine as possible

*tips fedora*
>>
>>35595720
>>35595794
C'mon really? Surely there are at least a handful of people who give a shit on /fit/ right now?
(That aren't fapping in "high test" threads)
>>
>>35595826
I do but nope. I too, love salt. It's the only negative thing on an average day in my diet but I easily go through 5 grams a day of ADDED salt, nevermind the actual sodium contents of the food I eat. I've grown up tossing salt on shit and at my worst I'd go through a 32 oz. container of it in a week and a half.
I'm not competing; I don't give a shit about any bloat. My blood pressure is surprisingly on the low side at 25 so I don't see anything wrong with it.
Anyone prove me wrong? I'm pretty sure bloat and general heart health/BP are the only things salt really affects, right?
>>
>>35595707
Just keep going through with your diet goals. Always look at the nutritional labels when you buy stuff, don't buy salt, stay away from restaurants, and only eat food you've prepared.

I know the struggle because I used to eat shittily as well.
>>
>>35595707
Active individuals can lose up to 3 grams of sodium per hour of intensive physical activity.

Personally I've been eating about 10g a day and have never felt better.
>>
>>35596126
To cause high blood pressure in rats and chimps they had to give the human equivalent of 15-20g of sodium a day for 6 months. And these were lab chimps, so air conditioned buildings and no exercise spaces, so they couldn't sweat it out.
>>
>>35595707
That tiny salt intake might be fine for a small sedentary woman.
>>
>>35595707
Going from a high sodium diet to a negligible sodium diet nets someone who is hypertensive a 3mm Hg improvement in BP or someone who is superhypertensive about 6mm Hg. That amounts to about two extra weeks of life if you're in the worst catagory. Per the Cochrane Collaboration review of sodium-related hypertension studies.

Also, high demand for sodium is indicative of Addison's disease, among other things. Up your salt intake to normal human levels, and if that doesn't help, see an MD.
>>
>>35596391
please note that you can lower bp by 10mmhg by standing up.

Increasing caffeine intake can lower bp by 5mmhg

low carbs 5-20
dark chocolate 4
take a taxi instead of driving 5
Get a raise at work 10
etc

oh yeah, breathing deeply for 30 seconds before testing 5-10
>>
>>35596391
I have no deficiencies, diseases, or major health risks other than elevated sodium levels every time I get a check up.
I had worried that I wasn't getting enough calcium as that is an indicative sign but again my calcium levels are actually great.

>>35596334
1250-1500 would be adequate for both male and female, but you are right about a sedentary state. I wonder just how much leeway there is for atheletes then?

>>35596230
For sure, I eat the same thing every day, never eat out, and make meals from whole foods every day.
>>
>>35596557
Elevated sodium has nothing to do with consumed sodium. It is a symptom of something else. If your doc is telling you to cut down, tell him he needs to go back to medical school.
>>
>>35596557
You sweat 1-3.7l per hour of exercise.

A litre of sweat contains about 1-1.4g of sodium. So an athlete needs up to 5g of sodium for each hour of exercise
>>
Learn to like foods that taste good without a bunch of salt on them

Also a reminder that hypertension and stroke aren't your only problems with salt. High sodium diets also increase your risk of developing stomach cancer, which is not the kind of cancer you want.
>>
You should try using MSG as a salt replacement
>>
>>35595707
1500mg is the normal daily intake, and i'm not entirely sure if that assumes a proper water intake to go along with it.

You can lose a huge amount of sodium as you sweat: so only operating on 1500mg a day is probably gonna be real hard for you.

Stop being anxious about your salt anon, get informed.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Training/General_Physiology/The_Math_of_salt_loss_1093.html
>>
>2016
>people still following the Kayla Itsines-esque salt and fat are bad for you fad
>>
>>35596666
>Learn to like foods that taste good without a bunch of salt on them
So none of them?
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.