[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Let me ask you about bench-pressing, /fit/ Do you bench-press
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1
File: BENCH.jpg (18 KB, 450x250) Image search: [Google]
BENCH.jpg
18 KB, 450x250
Let me ask you about bench-pressing, /fit/

Do you bench-press by yourself?

I used to go to the gym with a mate and we always spotted each other on the bench. I have no problem deadlifting or squatting big weight by myself - it's only with bench that I always fear dropping the fucking thing on me.

Should I just man up or should I ask someone to spot me? Or save the spotting for when it's a lot of weight?
>>
I always bench alone, because I'm mostly in the 8-10 reps range, and I know my limits.
>>
Just ask a random person in the gym to spot, or learn the roll of shame if you're autist.
>>
>>35554952
Ask for a spot if you know you are gonna go to failure or if you know you might get to.
I personally prefer to bench press at home in my squat rack with the safety bars than i do at the gym.
It's not like you need to go to failure anyways.
>>
Bench in a power rack with the safety bars at your chest
>>
>>35554952
I do. Only once have I had to roll out up my chest and sit up with the bar. It ain't even that bad
>>
Worst case scenario you can't push it up and it rests on your chest/body. Learn the roll of shame
If it were to "drop" completely, its way too fucking heavy for you anyway
know your limits
>>
My main gym has a safety bar if you fail a rep, my school doesn't. School gym is always busy so theres always someone to ask. If you tell people to not touch the fucking bar until you say help, they are usually a good spotter.
>>
Going to failure isn't really very dangerous, even alone. You'll slowly lower it down afrer you reached your sticking point and have to roll it off your body.

Racking/re-racking haphazardly is most dangerous, because then you'll actually drop it on your face/neck instead of lower it slowly.

Basically, just ask a random guy for a spot and be smart about it.
>>
I always bench by myself, even when i one rep. im not pushing anything crazy so if 245 comes down on my chest i know i can roll it off. its not a big deal.
>>
My gym has 2 racks and 3 or 4 benches. There's one particular combination that I always pick because I can set the safety rails to the perfect height that gives me about 2 or 3 inches of buffer room after I arch. In the case that I fail, all I have to do is relax and let the bar down onto the rails.
>>
I bench alone and use safety bars so I can roll out.

It's just a shame that it's so awkward to roll out.
>>
>>35554977
>>>35554952 (OP)
>It's not like you need to go to failure anyways.

Some people like to test their limits m8
>>
>>35555033
If that's the case, then ask for a spot. You dont have to go to failure everytime, and if it bothers having to ask for help everytime you might just follow a routing that doesnt include sets to failure or 1 rep max tests.

Which are useless anyway, unless you are a REAL powerlifter.
>>
>>35554970
>>35554986
>>35554991
>>35554994

Thanks anons. Yes I have always used a rack with safety bars, but you have taught me about the roll of shame - great idea. Might have done it once actually, just didn't know the name for it.

I have also used the Smith machine in the past because I'm a faggot, is this just a waste of time? People say the Smith machine makes it too easy because you're not having to stabilise the weight yourself, and I think that's probably right
>>
>>35555102
Fuck smith machines in every way
why would you want to move weight on a set track, rather than how your body naturally/most efficiently wants to?
>>
>>35555137

True true. Fair enough. Roll of shame it is then.

I also do dumbbell chest presses to get dat chest but I always think bench press is better, feels like a better workout, so yeah I guess I just need to just work on an easy manageable weight and then roll that bitch out if I fail.
>>
>>35554952
I used to bench alone until I convinced my mother to powerlift with me.

What you wanna do is find a powerrack, and set the safety bars slightly above your chest. Do a practice run with the bar only and test to see if the safety bar is at a good depth. You should set the bar on the safety rack and test rolling it down the safety bar and seeing if you have enough space to leave the rack. If so; you're ready to go.

>tfw gym fucks didnt know this and every time i failed a lift, some fuck runs over and tries to "help" me despite having a powerrack spotting for me
>>
>>35554952
Yes I always train without a partner. I even do one rep max. Secret is just to not push your limits. If I'm not absolutely sure I can get it up I don't do it.
>>
>>35555168
dumbbell and barbell bench are two different exercises due to different range of motion. one isn't "more of a workout", it's just different
>>
>>35555033
>Some people like to test their limits m8
Going to failure is just an excuse to do less work
>hurr durr squeezing out the last bit
How about you do 30 extra reps on another day instead of doing two extra reps right now?
>>
>>35555244
Excatly
i switch between the two every 4-6 weeks, great way to increase max
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.