[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So /fit/ on Saturday I start a paid, full salary, with benefits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Fire-Department-Logo-588x593.jpg (98 KB, 588x593) Image search: [Google]
Fire-Department-Logo-588x593.jpg
98 KB, 588x593
So /fit/ on Saturday I start a paid, full salary, with benefits career in a major city fire department. I've worked hard to get here, and I'm so close to making it. I have to go through an academy the first 6 months, so I was hoping someone here wouldn't mind throwing me some tips and motivation my way.

I'm excited, nervous, and all around gitty at the prospect of this thing. I've never been to a bootcamp before, but I have an idea of the discipline, yelling, and what is generally expected.
>>
>>35519474
What steps did you take to get hired? This is my goal after a get a degree and finish school. From what I've heard the physical requirements are retardedly easy and are kind of a joke, as for the boot camp aspect you just have to accept it. You're gonna be treated like shit, just value the experience and know you're gonna have a great job. I'm jealous though, good job dude
>>
>>35519510
So I'll be honest: Your degree doesn't mean shit. And your right on the physical requirements. My department doesn't even have a physical test, just a physical/medical.

The way I got hired was I got my state EMT and kept my nose clean. I volunteered as a firefighter for 8 years prior, but they didn't give 2 shits about that. My EMT though got me 3 extra points on the civil service test so I scored a 103, ranking me ridiculously high out of the 10,000 that took it.
>>
It's really not that bad. It's not military style boot camp and if you can climb stairs you'll be fine.
>>
>>35519546
I've been climbing bleachers the past 6 months with a backpack of books on my back. I think I'll be good. I'm just nervous/excited for the change from civilian life to really joining something.
>>
Most academies are a fuckin' joke. Unless you're the state police I wouldn't even worry about it. It's just a hazing. I haven't seen suffering like watching the NJ state police train every day. I thought 1000 jumping jacks 5 miles and 250 burpees in a day was bad. One day we did 560 pushups in one sitting. Just accept the hazing and it'll be a breeze. I'm guessing you can go home? I couldn't and just had to suffer through their shit 24/7.
>>
>>35519735
Yeah, It's a 4 day on 4 day off schedule, go home every night. Like I said, I'm mostly worried about the culture shock. Saturday it's supposed to be cold as fuck and raining. I'm actually excited to see what these instructors can pull. I just really want to fight fire and be apart of a good crew.
>>
>>35519474
Why would anyone want to be a fire fighter?
>>
>>35519817
Because it's fun. You get paid to break shit essentially. Also, who doesn't love a firefighter?
>>
>>35519474
Start my city's police academy in 2 weeks myself. I know how you feel bruh. Just keep doing what you've been doing. It got you where you are now. Anything extra your superiors will inform you.
>>
>>35519834
Workplace hazards up the ass. Slightly above aberahe pay. Sure, I guess.
>>
>>35519862
Fuck yeah, can I ask where? I only ask because the police academy in my city is right next to my fire academy and both classes usually go around the same time.
>>
>>35519871

The same could be said about many jobs...but you NEED them
>>
Career FF here.

Went through my academy back in 2013. For me, it was approx 50/50 mix of classroom learning shit and busting ass on the fire ground. After my class they made the entire academy 100% hands-on though.

My practical days went like this: wake up, pound food and water, train, pound food and water, train, leave, shower, pound food, attempt to study, fall asleep.

I recommend hot baths (or hot tubs) to rest your body and muscles. Also, knee pads. You'll get made fun of the first day or two but trust me you'll be glad you have them the rest of the time.
>>
>>35520002
Thanks man, thats what I needed to hear.
>>
File: 1368016027465 sloth bitch.gif (2 MB, 344x224) Image search: [Google]
1368016027465 sloth bitch.gif
2 MB, 344x224
>>35519542
Congrats bro hope to get into the service as well someday.

Did you get your paramedic too? I just have my EMT license and was thinking to get at least a year experience first then try to either get into a department part time while still an EMT or go into paramedic school.
>>
>>35520137
Thanks homie, just my EMT-B. A local municipality will care about your experience. A major city however will most likely NOT care about it. As long as you have your certification, they don't give 2 shits.
>>
File: 1368158899523 sloth dreams.gif (653 KB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
1368158899523 sloth dreams.gif
653 KB, 260x146
>>35520154
I see, appreciate the info bro. It took me forever to figure out what I want to do but Fire is definitely where I want to be.
>>
>>35519474
I'm jealous senpai, I just got my medic cert and started my departments academy to get my FF1.

Remember when you look good, your instructor looks good and they love that shit
>>
>>35519878
Philly. I know there's a fire academy starting on the same date
>>
>>35520799
Fuck yeah, looks like we'll be dealing with the same shit.
>>
>>35520799
Don't let me down amigo. Were both going through the same shit.
>>
>>35520815
>>35520964
Phillyfags?
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.