[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mental health general
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8
File: goal body.jpg (99 KB, 610x430) Image search: [Google]
goal body.jpg
99 KB, 610x430
Do anti depressants, including SSRI's affect your gains? Do they effect test levels at all?

What about ADHD medications?
>>
How do they change how you feel on a day to day?
>>
bumping, I take antipsychotics. I start hearing voices and come up with delusions if I don't take them.
>>
>>35518361
Whats the science behind this?
>>
>>35518454
He has schizophrenia
>>
>>35518512
Ye, but what kind of chemical imbalance is it?
>>
>>35517793

Most anti-depressant medications and anti-anxiety medications will cause weight gain. But drugs and people are unpredictable, and rarely the opposite occurs and a person's appetite will decrease while on anti-depressant meds. But 90% of the time weight gain, and probably 100% of the time when it comes to anti-anxiety meds.

For people that use adderall, appetite is usually supressed. Depending on the user and dosage, many adderal users lose weight. However, for some people, as the adderal wears off later in the day, the user's appetite rebounds and they end up pigging out and even eating more calories than the initial fast, thus causing weight gain.

No idea about test.
>>
I take antidepressants and I can tell the difference between my workouts before the depression and after.
Before I would be in pain for days because I worked so hard but now the depression makes me take it a lot easier, free weights usually bring on obsessive thoughts so I use machines when im not feeling great.
Overall I dont think the antidepressants affect your gains I think it is more the depression.
>>
>>35518534
When you start investigating mental illness such as depression it becomes a much more complicated concept than "anon here is lacking serotonin" in reality nobody really has a fucking idea of what schizophrenia is.
>>
>>35518454
>>35518812
It is schizophrenia. I think my doctor said it had to do with dopamine and too much of it.
>>
>>35518586
>Overall I dont think the antidepressants affect your gains I think it is more the depression.

This. Depression kills your motivation, stops you sleeping, makes you sleep too much,etc, etc. But some anti-depressants do cause weight gain yes.
>>
File: 1446604055319.jpg (105 KB, 742x688) Image search: [Google]
1446604055319.jpg
105 KB, 742x688
>>35518551

Pharmacy Fag here. This is a good answer.

As for test, I have never read anything significant on it affecting nor lowering testosterone.

Keep on lifting bro's
>>
>>35517793
Most common side effects of SSRIs are weight gain and sexual difficulties. The sexual difficulties either clear up in a few months, or linger after you stop taking them. Luckily there's an NDRI called Wellbutrin that causes weight loss and increases sexual performance, and you can easily take both. SNRIs cause less weight gain and sexual problems but are sometimes harder to withdraw from. None of them affect gains or testosterone as far as anyone can tell, except to the extent that you'll be hungrier or less hungry, which could be good or bad depending on if you're cutting or bulking. That said, if you're depressed, the extra motivation and focus you get from taking them far outweighs whatever the other chemical effects are.

>>35519657
Most things that show mental illnesses as chemical imbalance are the result of lazy marketers not fully understanding what they're selling. SSRIs should increase the amount of serotonin in the brain, yet people with untreated depression have more serotonin than the general population. Science hasn't gotten much further than a suspicion that depression is connected to serotonin somehow, and that schizophrenia is connected to dopamine somehow. The drugs do work, it's just that no one is really sure how.
>>
>>35517793
Is this possible natty?

All I want is the thick, singular vein from delt to hand look. I wouldn't even need other people at that point, just the mirror.
>>
>>35517793
ADHD medications shits on your apetite, I stopped taking it cause I could barely eat when I took it. I guess they could make wonders if you wanna starve yourself.
>>
>>35521139
That's not very comforting to hear. Especially knowing that they do not know a whole lot about it, which means any chance of being normal without meds anymore will be a ways off. I don't even know if they're are any studies to try and cure schizophrenia, if you even would be able to.
>>
>>35517793
>SSRI's
they did nothing for me
meditate
http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=107

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7O8eKQqcOkw
>>
File: 1369939105166.jpg (127 KB, 908x618) Image search: [Google]
1369939105166.jpg
127 KB, 908x618
>>35521375
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8oKWQiEWYs

uh , wrong one
>>
>>35521352
Scizophrenia cannot be cured at this time, for many people the disorder can be managed with medication
>>
I was on prozac for a while and it made me completely lose my appetite.
>>
Can someone school me on taking adhd meds while having depression and social anxiety. People keep telling me ill go psychotic if i take it too long.
>>
>>35521406
I figured, and I did a little research after I posted that, too. I get by on medicine, I just don't want to have to depend on it to be sane.
>>
>>35517793
Yes. If you kill motivation, you will kill gains.

Stay of drugs
>>
File: Joe Rogan.jpg (17 KB, 446x456) Image search: [Google]
Joe Rogan.jpg
17 KB, 446x456
>>35521439
>telling somebody with adhd to stay of meds for motivation
get out
>>
>>35521427
Sucks, my mom had scizophrenia, she was able to function and be productive as well as most other people on meds. Most of the current research suggest that schizophrenia isn't caused by one disorder but many disorders. Like all mental disorders its difficult to research. Everyone is made differently and has their own unique reactions to things. Nature is far from perfect, so don't worry about not being perfect yourself
>>
>>35521509
Thanks Anon! Sorry to hear about your mom, but it sounds like she is doing okay. The medicine does help. I'll just have to take them and suck it up for now.
>>
>>35521537
Hows your personal life? Do you tell people you have it?
>>
I take welbutrin twice a day, depokote, and strattera. If anyone wants to know anything about my experiences ask away.
>>
>>35521572
How do you like wellbutrin? How has it affected your libido? Have you had experience with SSRIs such as paroxitne too, if so how do they compare.
>>
>>35517793
My mate has just started taking sertraline, how do I help him deal with this? I tried convincing him to join a gym, saying how having a goal to work towards and a regular routine will help him feel better, but he said 'I'll pass'. He pisses me the fuck off most the time, he just seems like he's his own worst enemy. He's a snob sometimes and maybe likes to he think he's really clever - so he won't do things that would challenge this view of himself, like do quizzes in front of other people and that stuff.
I even told him to maybe consider getting tested for low test, since I've read how most people with depression tend to have low testosterone, and he was like 'my testosterone levels are fine, I don't have manboobs and I can fuck just great'.
I know he has anxiety, and idk... he's one of those people who are just their own worst enemy.
>>
>>35521835
Also does sertraline kill motivation? Because he's already low motivated ffs
>>
Welbutrin has helped me a lot in all aspects. I basically went from a suicidal alcoholic to a successful college student with a 3.5 after having to withdrawl from my previous semester. It keeps me level headed and combined with strattera i get similar effects of adderall without the desire to play video games all day lol.

Sexually i dont last as long but other than that ive had no problems. Havent really done much sexually since i started taking it though because a month after i broke up with my crazy cunt gf and have been focusing on myself sonce.

I havent tried any other ssris other than depokote but it has helped tremendously with bipolar and kept my mood stable. Havent had any weight gain.

Forgetting to take either one has shitty side effects, welbutrin makes your entire body sore as fuck and depokote will make you shake like you have parkinsons.

On Depokote it is also REALLY important to take it around the same time at night. You can get really sick if you dont. And if you dont take it for multiple days youll end up getting poisoned.
>>
>>35521955

Is for

>>35521693
>>
>>35521955
Thanks for the feedback.

A psych persribed me paroxitien after a 20 minute visit that should have taken an hour, he was being shitty. I'm getting a second opinion but I want other people experiences too, I'm very concerned about side effects. I don't want to be a zombie and I also don't want to have a limp dick. I'm also doubting I need it, I'm not suicidal, I think I may have mild dysthmia but I want to make sure theres not something physiologically wrong with me.

I haven't tried staterra, I just got back on ritilan after not taking it for 10 years. I don't feel like it helps very much. How does strattera and adderal differ in the way you felt over all and how it affected your focus?
>>
File: images.jpg (7 KB, 259x195) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7 KB, 259x195
>>35517793
Is therapy helpful at all? I don't mean for schizophrenia, but for general depression or whatever? Or is it just the memes everyone says they are.
>>
>>35522087
This is just me but I talked with a therapist at my school. It was nice having someone to lend a different perspective and the confidentiality that comes with it.
>>
File: 1450636502191.jpg (35 KB, 508x472) Image search: [Google]
1450636502191.jpg
35 KB, 508x472
>>35522146
Yeah but I'm a semi-adult so I'd have to pay for it. I'm just wondering if cognitive therapy and behavioral patterns are an actual science that'll help more or will I just confide in someone for like $150/hour?
>>
>>35522073

Strattera isnt a controlled substance. It allows me to focus on my assignments but at the same time im not a zombie and feel like i am myself. Its just not focused to the point where i lock myself in a room and jerk it for 3 hours. Strattera also doesnt give you dry mouth, a shriveled dick from recirculation, or make you take a power shit within 30 minutes of taking it. (Only benefit of adderall) I took adderall for 15 years and all the other stimulants under the sun so i know my stuff haha.

Welbutrin has some add and anxiety benefits but in no way will put you in zombie mode even combined with something like strattera.

I honestly dont have any real side effects from any of my medication, the problem i feel a lot of people have with the stimulants like adderall and ritalin is they can focus, but they focus on the wrong things. I used to be able to play league for 20 hours straight and wouldnt sleep at all. Id sit and eat nothing and want to drink beer all day too.

This is all combined with seeing a councilor every 2-3 weeks and it all really has helped me overall.
>>
>>35522146
Depression starts in the head.. kinda like thoughts that have gotten tied up together. Outside activities, cute animals sunlight exersize anything that majes you happy helps. But those are only treating the symptoms not the problem, only you can change your thoughts!
t: depressed but coping
>>
>>35522183
If you go to university most have a psychological services office or if you have medical insurance they might cover it but I see your point.
>>
>>35522183
I don't consider anything in psychology to be actual science. It's all social science, pseudo science, corrupt studies and corrupt people who want to make money off your suffering. I mean, think about it, it's an industry where no one would have a job if people weren't mentally unstable and miserable. They directly profit off their patient's unhappiness.

CBT has some okay concepts IMO but it only works well if you're depressed or anxious for a logical reason. If you can identify the event that caused you to feel distressed, then analyze the emotion, the idea is that you can consciously interpret the event in a different way and feel a different emotion. If you just *are* depressed or anxious and it has no "trigger event", CBT does fuck-all. It's all about analyzing your behavior, memories, and how you feel. It doesn't account for people just sometimes feeling shit for no "logical" reason.

DBT is retarded. Literally designed to play mindgames with stupid BPD-diagnosed females. It centers around endless irrelevant acronyms that you're supposed to use as a checklist of the sorts in certain situations. The main idea is that when you're distressed, you just stop paying attention to it, pretend it isn't a problem, tell yourself it isn't a problem, then focus on one object and block all other thoughts out. If you have half a brain and like to solve your problems, DBT fucking sucks.

Therapy is just talking to the therapist for a lot of money tbqh. I promise you they won't have anything constructive or helpful to say. Meds are shill imo too. The mental health care industry can't help you.
>>
>>35522359
So if you can't solve your own depression just kill yourself right?
>>
>>35522359
>I mean, think about it, it's an industry where no one would have a job if people weren't mentally unstable and miserable

>medicine
>it's an industry where no one would have a job if people weren't physically sick and injured.

I'm not trying to argue that psychology is good, stuffing people with drugs but what you say is bullshit. We do not live in a perfect world.
>>
File: imgpsh_fullsize.jpg (49 KB, 540x720) Image search: [Google]
imgpsh_fullsize.jpg
49 KB, 540x720
>>35518361
I had an psychotic episode triggered by excessive weed consumption. Never went to hallucinations though, but had intense paranoia and a really strong mind fog.
I had taken LSD some days before aswell, which might have affected.
Talked to my doctor, he saw that i wasn't fully psychotic, but that weed usually pumps out dopamine, and smoking the right amount of quantities. He said to basically wait it out, and gave me Zyprexa if it was too much to handle.

Never took the antipsyches in reading what they do to people, and luckily it went away.

Basically; OP. Meds are shit. Let food be thy medicine. If you're not having any psychotic illness, pills are literally going to kill your human spirit and make your psyche rekt.

>pic related, bitch that takes SSRI and has a bf. "accidently" sent this pic to me yday.

>>35520113
This guy is out to take your money. Trust a psychologist, not meds. CBT has proven to be extremly succesfull in handling neuroses, whereas taking meds for handling neuroses will prolly just fuck you up more.
>>
>>35522762
Also, developing on this.

Why would you trust pharms? They are literally the cancer of the earth, nutritionists fucking recommend drinking milk.

Milk, as we all know, is HITLER and AIDS combined when it comes to overall health. Drains your bone health, lowers your calcium in the body and just fucks you up. Mate, don't trust industry-funded educations.
>>
Why has no one mentioned this guy's body?
>>
So I ate pot brownies for the first time (in fact first time trying weed altogether) like 2 days ago and I got so fucking high I felt like my mind shattered. I still feel kinda numb and disconnected, is this normal? If so, when will it go away?
>>
>>35517793
If you feel you need both an antidepressant and an adhd medication, try wellbutrin xl. I'm on it to fix mental fog and fatigue brought on by an illness and it has been a lifesaver. I focus and feel so much better now, and it's one of the few antidepressants that won't make you crave food and junk all day.
>>
>>35521139
apparently I had low levels of natty seratonin so they dumped me on some shitty pills which turned me into a literal zombie
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.