[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to squat with good form in the Smith Machine?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Is it possible to squat with good form in the Smith Machine?
>>
>>35496874

Rich "Supernatural" Piana uses the Smith Machine for BP and says its superior
>>
>>35496874
this looks terrible, let's say you smith-squat heavier weights like lmao2pl8+ with this form, wouldn't your feet in pic B just slip forward?
>>
>>35496874
No.
>>
>>35497128
Honestly on BP I alternate DB bench and Smith bench

No spotter feels
>>
>>35496874

Yes, but there's three issues with a smith machine.

The first is that you miss out on all the extra stabilizers being exercised from a normal squat

The second is that you'll be stuck with the machine, for #1, and be forced to rebuild if you decide to switch to freeweight squats.

The third is that you'll look like a faggot.
>>
>>35496874
Yes. Putting your feet forward like that turns it into a hack squat, really stresses the knees and uses pretty much nothing but the quads. Thats not how you should do it (other than maybe as a quad excercise for BBing.. But i think theres safer things to do for the knees). If you want to squat in the smith machine, you want the bar balanced over the midfoot like a regular squat.

But I think the idea that smith machines suck still holds true.

>>35497184
Wrong.
>>
>>35496874
May as well just use the leg press, better in every way
>>
>>35497221
>Wrong.
Luckily the world fitness industry (low-tier PTs aside) doesn't hold your same (retarded) beliefs.
>>
I wondered this as well, my "fitness center" only has a smith machine much to the embarrassment of the staff.
I really dont want to use it but what exactly is the alternative, i do squats and then leg press for strength ton hypertrophy days i do belgium split squats and RDL's - can someone give me a good honest answer ? Ditch the smith squat and just do leg press and split squats ?

Before saying go find a real gym - have you been to the valleys ?
>>
>>35497383
>Ditch the smith squat and just do leg press and split squats
yes do this.
You can do calves on the smith though, but again, the leg press would be better even for that
>>
Legitimate use for SM is bench press throw- do an explosive press and throw the bar up then catch it. Much safer to do the Smithie.
>>
>>35497464
Awesome thank you
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.