[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it absolutely necessary to count and keep track of daily calories?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 346x425) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 346x425
Every article or comment I read about losing weight always mentioned tracking calories as the most important part.

I'm trying to knock off some fat myself and I find it hard tracking the exact number of calories because of the different homemade recipes of chicken or vegetables I consume of whose macros are always inconsistent .

I'm 23, 6', 85kg and some 22% bf. How about I just eat healthy, roughly around my TDEE?
>>
it's not necessary, but if you're fat you're probably not good at estimating calories
>>
It was necessary for me. I didn't look at it like counting cals. Instead, it was more like a budget of how much food I can eat each day. I could enter in the food and see how many cals/macros I had remaining in the day. This also allows me to have sweets here and there if my remaining cals/fat/sugar/carbs allowed. You end up guessing a lot but after a while you get better at estimating.
>>
>>35480539
How will you know if you are eating at roughly your TDEE?

The numbers don;t need to be exact, it isn't difficult to measure the individual ingredients of a recipe then add them to a calorie tracker like myfitnesspal or cron-o-meter.
>>
>>35480539
6 foot at 85 kg is not bad, I would argue that you don't need to diet.
Eat well, get a lot of protein and carbs in to fuel your muscle growth and training energy respectively.
Train for a year or 2 like this then concern yourself about cutting.
>>
Its really not hard. Use smaller amounts when making the food or divide the finished product evenly so you can easily divide the amount.

Cmon /fit/, basic math.
>>
It really depends.

Counting calories for me makes me think about food all day long and I tend to over-eat.

When Im just eyeballing it and focusing on eating high protein meals and not eating junk I notice I eat far less food and find getting leaner easier.

It's a mental thing really. Just do whatever works for you. Losing fat is literally about not eating, maintaining muscle while doing that is maintaining your strength in the gym and eating a decent amount of protein.

For me as well when Im tracking calories I would tend to fail more in the gym because I'd end up thinking "im not eating enough, I cant do this" but when im not tracking calories and just not eating like a fat fuck I dont have that mental block in my mind.
>>
>>35480588
Thanks man. Pic related is what I look like right now (ignore the Lack of grooming) and I'm trying to get rid of my love handles.

I used to be 107kg and I've come down to 85. My side and lower back fat is the only thing that plagues me and comes in the way of me looking have decent in a slim fitted t shirt.
>>
Been counting calories for the past week to shave that fatto off
It's been surprisingly easy to count calories, man
Just google average calories of your ingrediants and work from there
>>
File: image.jpg (491 KB, 1459x1759) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
491 KB, 1459x1759
>>35480650
>>
>>35480661
If you cut all you will be doing is looking more scrawny and start off at a lower base strength level.
Just eat and train for now, and I would go as far as to say watch out that you aren't losing weight while you train.
>>
>>35480539
when recently doing a cut I measured what I ate and searched calories for them all once and just let that be good enough..

a handful of nuts is about an ounce and avocado is whatever etc.. had a small digital scale for weighing powders..... supps ..
>>
>>35480661
>iphone 6
4'3.125" at best
>pushing it
>>
>>35480548
This. The bigger the meal, the shittier the guess of calorific contents are. People sometimes guess wrong with 50%.
>>
>>35480661
You're DYEL as fuck man. I'd recommend just eating at maintenance and training to exit skinnyfat mode for now. You'll probably end up hungry skeleton if you cut.
>>
>Every article or comment I read about losing weight always mentioned tracking calories as the most important part.
It's shit, but the only thing we have. Good shit would be calculating how many calories your body actually digests/takes in. But that's not possible yet.
>>
>>35480539
It certainly won't hurt anon, you'll amost certainly hit your goals faster.

Having said that there are cunts like CVM who don't track anything and are utterly yolked so there you go. It's just another factor you can swing in your favour among the other hundreds, just like genetics, routine, willpower etc.
>>
File: 1444680683065.jpg (128 KB, 390x642) Image search: [Google]
1444680683065.jpg
128 KB, 390x642
myfitnesspal

Best shit ever for counting calories and searching for foods (get the phone app and scan barcodes).

I'm 81kg 5'9" trying to get down to about 75ish, im eating 2210 calories a day which should see slow weight loss so it doesn't fuck with making gains too much at the gym.

Before this I must have been eating like 3500 calories a day because I always feel like I am fucking starving.
>>
>>35480539
Homemade meals are actually easier for counting calories. Buy a kitchen scale. Weigh everything. Its not rocker science.
>>
>>35481054
You're pretty much exactly me, bro
Im eating 2000 aswell desu
>>
>>35480962
That's an Ipad
>>
>>35480539
Nope. I do IF. Big lunch, big diner, few apples and black coffee a day. Only thing I really track is protein, make sure I get a big serve I each meal that's it.
>>
>>35480588
He said 22% bf
>>
>>35481930
Welcome to /fit/
>>
File: Screenshot_26_44.png (405 KB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_26_44.png
405 KB, 1440x2560
>>
>>35480539
if you've never dieted before, absolutely undeniably crucial to and ounce of success you wish to receive.

if you HAVE dieted and counted calories before, nah its easy to estimate and know portions and just generally how much of what you can eat and how much you should eat a day. im 13 lbs down currently from a rebound and i havent counted a single calorie.
>>
>>35480539
Of course its necessary. If your brain don´t know the exact number of cals (at least 1 digit) you won´t lose weight even if you eat nothing. Sigh...
>>
>>35482724
loooooooool troooooooooooooool
>>
>>35480539
Who is she?
>>
>>35481054
i like cronometer
>>
File: Dennis Confused Face.jpg (902 KB, 1300x1733) Image search: [Google]
Dennis Confused Face.jpg
902 KB, 1300x1733
>>35483252
Learn how to do a reverse image search dumbass, it's McKaya Maroney, gymnast
>>
>>35483310
It didnt give me any results for reverse image search m8
>>
Asian
At 20%+ bf
>ate a fuck ton of rice
>threw away veggies
>hate seafood
Dropped to 15% bf in 6 months(4 upper abs are visible)
>consume less than half of what I used to eat in rice
>more meat, started taking in veggies
>still hate seafood
This is coupled with a 3 day routine. So in my case, I didn't count shit, I just reduced the amount of rice I ate. The rest stayed the same.
My dislike for chocolates, or just sweets in general including soda is also a plus. No alcohol also.
>>
>>35483325
well it does you fuckwit.
gg for making me reply
>>
>>35480578
The real problem is that calorie content of food changes as it is cooked. Few people understand this.
>>
>>35480539
Yes you faggot
Aim for at least 90% accuracy
>>
>>35480568
That is exactly what counting calories is. What else would it mean?
>>
>>35480539
Some people never count any calories and are in pretty decent shape. It really depends on you, I know I can't cut without counting unless i'm busy all day.
>>
Count calories properly for about 3 months. It can be surprising how calorie dense/light some foods are. I always thought rice and oats would be low in calories, and I was blown away by how much broccoli you could eat for 200 calories.

After you learn about the calories in foods you really can just eyeball meals and still do fine. Just eat more calorie dense foods if bulking, less if cutting, and keep am eye on the scale. Calorie counting is inaccurate as fuck anyways and daily fluctuations make such a little difference in the long run, especially as a natty not planning to compete
>>
>>35483786
Also, fucking nuts. When I first started loosing weight I didn't think about calories, I just eat less food and made better choices. Sometimes I would replace lunch with mixed nuts, and it turned out I was eating 900 calories in a sitting
>>
>>35480588
>no need to diet
nigga you crazy, he isn't 85kg of pure muscle, looking at >>35480661 you can see he has 18 to 20%bf, which means he needs to lift while cutting to 12 and then clean bulk while keeping fat gains at a minimum. Sure 85kg is great if you had only 12%bf but you wont drop that excess fat while staying in the same weight range.
>>
If you are a normie beginner who is incapable of being honest with yourself yes. If you have bulked and cut before than then its not, you should know without counting
>>
Here's how to lose weight without counting calories...

Eat 50-60% of usual portion size.
Introduce a daily 17 hour fast after your last meal in the evening.
20-30mins cardio 2/3 x per week (run, swim, jump rope.
Lift 3 x per week. Alternate the following -- Bench Press/Overhead Press - Pull Ups/Chin Ups - Deadlift/Squat. Add 2 more lifts you like - curls, lat raise, abs whatever. Workout should take less than hour in total.

In 2 months, you'll notice a massive difference. In 4-6 months, you'll be where you wanna be!
>>
>>35484042
>Lift 3 x per week. Alternate the following -- Bench Press/Overhead Press - Pull Ups/Chin Ups - Deadlift/Squat. Add 2 more lifts you like - curls, lat raise, abs whatever. Workout should take less than hour in total.

This actually sounds awesome. I'm moving off SS and will try this. Fucking hated squatting every day.
>>
>>35480539

I never counted calories, but I have a good idea of what I eat and how much. When I wanna cut a bit, I tone it down a few hundred kcal per day, all there is to it.
>>
>>35480655
Dubs of truth
>>
>>35481054
Good news is that your stomach will eventually shrink.
Stick with it bro. We're all gun makit.
>>
>>35484042
OP here.

Thank you anon for reaffirming my belief in IF.

I'm training fed, my last meal is at 9pm right after my workout.

Is that okay or do I have to train fasted in the mornings for better?
>>
>>35483361
They don't change much fagit
>>
File: image.jpg (15 KB, 224x248) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
15 KB, 224x248
>>35485555
>>
If you want to lose weight you have to eat UNDER your TDEE. Everything else is irrelevant. You don't have to count your calories to do this, you can just change your portions and eat less fatty shit but it will help a lot. If you struggle to stick to a specific number, set a range. So if you want to eat roughly 1600 calories, allow yourself anything between 1400 and 2000 and just aim for the lower end.
>>
>>35483361
Hahahaha not enough to matter.
>>
>>35485995
Dont you boil out your calories first?
>>
>>35484062
I'm on SL and I too find the squatting every day a bit tiresome.
>>
>>35480539
>absolutely necessary?
no
>much much more reliable and effective
yes
>>
>>35488724
it's every day until you reach a respectable weight. it's better that way since you'll skyrocket to ~200lbs squat because it's mostly learning the movement and muscle activation.
>>
you can lose weight without doing it but you can't alter science. if you choose not to count calories when trying to lose weight, for whatever the fuck strange reason, you introduce unnecessary doubt into your method.

basically, unless you count calories, you make gaining muscle and losing fat harder than it needs to be.
>>
>>35488779
so now doing 110kg squat I can now leave it for 1 workout day? which one? A or B?
>>
>>35484042
can anyone elaborate further about this workout?
>>
File: no.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
no.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>35483361
>>
Having MFP and a food scale, you have no excuse to not count calories. However, it gives me anxiety when I am forced to eat out at a restaurant that give no nutrition facts so idk what to do then
>>
Wolfram alpha is the best calorie estimator
Then google search
Then nutritiondata.self.com
>>
>>35480539
If you're too lazy to keep track of what you put in your body then you're never gonna make it.

I can tell you everything I've eaten for the past year.
>>
What's the best TDEE calculator? I use exrx w/ bodyfat% estimate, pic related. It gives values lower than other places that use height.
>>
>>35480539
It is when you're first starting out and really don't know shit about calories or macros. Eventually it'll come second nature and you can ballpark pretty close to what you actually had. That being said, it's also necessary if you're on a cut, doubly so if you're doing keto.
>>
File: exrx.png (90 KB, 1001x1349) Image search: [Google]
exrx.png
90 KB, 1001x1349
>>35491138
>>
So of course you're gonna lose weight if you eat under your TDEE, however what happens if you eat under your BMR?
>>
File: 1450236959299.jpg (2 MB, 2544x1696) Image search: [Google]
1450236959299.jpg
2 MB, 2544x1696
should i even bother to count veggies like kale and spinach?? seems like a fucking pain, and not worth it...

long as i count main contribute fat/pro/carb, am i good?
>>
>>35491208
Kale is 50kcal/100g, not low enough to ignore imo.
>>
File: 1449245596658.jpg (89 KB, 720x576) Image search: [Google]
1449245596658.jpg
89 KB, 720x576
>>35491574
fuk. im gonna ignore it man. ill make sure i stay an extra hundo under of my daily goal just in case,
>>
>>35491119
What have you eaten enough for the past yea?
>>
>>35491058
I just suggest to my family/friends to go to one of the more popular food chains because they will usually either have a bellow 500 calorie menu or have their shit online.
>>
>>35491675
Is there a video for this chick?
>>
>>35480539

I don't calculate exactly but the best way I found to do it is to figure out the exact macros of certain things like your shake: a few snacks and a few regular meals you throw into your mix. The rest is just making your you eat full balanced meals that are centered around protein.

It's not an exact science but if you keep a baseline of protein and calorie intake pretty high and make sure you are eating a lot outside of that you will always hit that surplus and will keep getting gains.
>>
>>35489655

It sounds like he's describing Stronglifts 5x5 and Squats are a big part of that program.
>>
Speaking of intermittent fasting, should I fast on the days that I go to the gym or go in between?
>>
>>35491552
I'm gonna go ahead and guess this isn't Boston's professional ice hockey swim team
>>
>>35491675
pls name oh please god please
>>
>>35480548
This is indeed what it all boils down to.
>>
>>35493596
>899
>File: 1449245596658.jpg (89 KB, 720x576)
>>35493899

Erica Campbell

You can thank me later anons
>>
>>35480539
>Is it absolutely necessary to count and keep track of daily calories?
Yes. /thread
>>
>>35494599
>no hardcore

what an absolute fucking waste
>>
>>35485555

Studies suggest the difference between fed/fasted training are minimal. If that is the case, then train whichever way you feel gives you a better training session.

If you don't like training fasted for whatever reason, and wish not to introduce a 17 hour fasted window, then you could also try fasting on non-workout days.
>>
>>35489655
It's based around the main compound lifts, tried and tested to produce results if done correctly with good progression. Having two lifts of your own choosing help mentally, as you won't get bored doing the same routine over and over.
>>
>>35491187
>climbing
>heavy

what the fuck, unless you're an absolute beginner, climbing is moderate at most

also, only granddads and fat bankers play tennis so that it's only a moderate excercise, this is like saying that badminton is light excercise, like have they even seen people seriously play these sports
>>
>>35484042
>reduce calories by ~40%
>Fast for 17 hours everyday
>lifting 3x per week
>cardio 3x per week
have you actually been able to do this consistently or are you just sharing it as some ideal fanatic weightloss program? First of all, just lifting 3x a week while eating at maintenance is pretty fucking tiring, throw in cardio and you'll be beat but adding in fasting AND calorie deficit? nigga I'd die, seems like you're trying to force it way too much. Why not just either fast or eat at deficit and keep the cardio to once a week? Do you have a timeline or something??
>SHIT GOTTA GO FROM 25% BF TO A 6PACK BEFORE SUMMER

you might be able to keep it up for a few weaks but it'll end in failure and a big backlash of binge eating and sedentary life, for me anyway, maybe you've got the will of a titan
>>
>>35480539
Yes, at the end of the day losing weight is all about math as long as you can follow your diet. My advice is to take a week at maintenance when you start cheating/binge eating too much. If you don't have this kind of problems just be patient and abs will come
>>
I just DLed a calorie counter yesterday and wanted a couple of opinions from /fit/ as well.

I'm 5'10" manlet, probably weight about 157 skinny but with a little belly mostly from my love of craft beer.

figuring working out harder and eating better will help with the gut (it's not huge) so I put in my app that i am looking to gain weight and it's estimating near 3000cal a day. I feel like I can't eat anywhere near that.

from what I've stated, what does /fit/ think is my best approach at getting a lean, fit looking body, like spartacus or a little bigger than fight club brad pitt?
>>
>>35498358
your body is fucking weak, I lift 6 times a week, swim 2 times, badminton 2 times, and climb 2 times a week, I'm on a 500 kcal deficit and I feel fine

you just gotta sleep a lot
>>
>>35498440
probably should add, relatively new to lifting (2 months but had to take a couple of long breaks) and am currently doing reg park's 5x5.
>>
>>35498358
50%-60% of usual portion size isn't the same as a 40% calorie deficit, especially if the subject already overeats to begin with. It's an overall reduction, but not a total deficit.

Many people fast and lift successfully. Margin for death is slim.

Cardio x3 per week doesn't have to be strenuous. You will survive doing LISS or even playing sports as hobbies.
>>
>>35498358
I'm on over 1000 kcal deficit daily, I lift 6 times a week, HIIT three times a week, I wake up every fucking morning at 430am and hit the gym. I don't eat any added sugar what so ever and I eat 100% clean. Been doing this for months, never been a fat fuck so this isn't some miracle diet. I'm just being efficient and practising some discipline like a grown person should.

You are a pussy. And never going to make it.
>>
>>35484042
Thanks anon
Thread replies: 93
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.