[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
QTDDTOT
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37
File: 1410681057055[1].jpg (100 KB, 999x624) Image search: [Google]
1410681057055[1].jpg
100 KB, 999x624
Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Thread
Last one reached bump limit
OLD: >>35463138

Starting with my question:
I'm looking for bent over rows alternatives. Are cable rows good choice for this?
>>
repost from last thread

two things, /fit/

1) What is the best way to get a good strength/endurance combo? I want to pursue a military carreer and I'm currently doing weighted calisthenics, as in pushups (+30lbs), situps (+10lbs, very careful to form to avoid back problems), pullups (no added weight) and running (I used to be potato, currently on a 5k/24min routine). Can/would weightlifting help me better?

2) I practice HEMA, and my club goes pretty heavy. How can I manage not to destroy my recovery from the day before? Should I just treat our training session as a workout day and skip lift day?
>>
My foam roller arrived today

How am is supposed to know if its working?

I followed a couple of the instructions on the leaflet and didn't really feel anything.

Did my quads and felt some pain but how long are you supposed to do it for?
>>
I throw up almost every time I train core , abs especially. How can I prevent this? It happens even if I only eat a very small meal, and I can't work out on an empty stomach.

Also, is it very bad if this happens? I have no idea why I get it. Anyone with similar experiences and cures?
>>
yo fit

got this problem with deadlifts that i can only get my back straight when i squat down pretty deep

and its not even about the weight. even without weight i cant get my back straight when im in the starting position of the deadlift.

why is that? how can i fix that. you cant even force me into it. i just cant do it.

and since im getting into 140kg+ now i feel i should really get my form right before adding more weight
>>
When doing IF with yohimbine hcl + cardio, is it reasonable to lose more than a pound a week (maybe 1.5-2) or will losing more than a pound a week result in too much muscle loss?
>>
If you lift and don't feel sore the next day, should you just train the same area again the next day?
Or rest regardless of that?
>>
Is running in sub-zero temperatures bad for your lungs? (I'm obviously talking degrees Celsius).
>>
>>35475024
That's odd. Start stretching more in your off time. You shouldn't have to squat down much for deadlift though your legs shouldn't be straight unless you're wanting to do an SLDL
>>
>>35475061
soreness should not affect your shedule at all
you rest anyways

if you are sore and not supposed to rest you train anyways. while training the soreness will go away even if you think you die from the pain... continue

and after some time you wont even get sore anymore

soreness in the end (atleast for strength training) is just an indicator of how you arent used to what you did lately
>>
>>35475061
Rest. Doms are not a good measurement of training success
>>
>>35475068
No, not unless it's below -40 C
>>
>>35475069
>Start stretching more in your off time
i suppose strentching hammies?
how far? i can reach the floor with my fingers atm

>ou shouldn't have to squat down much for deadlift
i pretty much almost need to go to parallel so i get my back straight. above no chance.
many people come up to me in the gym and tell me my form is whack but i just cant get my back straight. no matter what weight.

and when i squat down so far i cant lift as much and fck up my shins too

im really thinking bbout kicking dls out of my routine and just do hyperextensions and farmers walk instead
>>
>>35475116
Stretch everything. You have some strange shit going on.
>>
>>35475100
Thanks
>below -40 C
Why is that? Or are you just speaking figuratively?
>>
>>35475124
Speaking from the advice I got in Northen Scandinavia
>>
>>35474958
1) 2 days lifting, two days cardio. ABxABxx
2) Treat it as a cardio day

>>35475014
Try compounds that involve core instead, like weighted decline situps/crossups, front squats, and etc.

>>35475024
Stretch. You might just have small arms or long legs though. Try sumo.

>>35475053
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15615615

>>35475068
No, but likely bad for your skin. Likely wearing loads of clothing with sweat seeping in, or drying out.
>>
>>35475123
also i dont have any problems at all with squats... quite the opposite. i can squat down very far with good form. you would call it atg i guess

should i stop deadlifting until i get this right?
>>
>>35475147
>Try compounds that involve core instead, like weighted decline situps/crossups, front squats, and etc.
I already do this
>>
How important is it to get plenty of BCAA's content in your powder?
>>
Assholes, I haven't put effort to make this thread just for you all ignoring my question in OP.
>>
>>35474940
pullups
>>
>>35475215
Depends on your diet. If you're already eating plenty of meat or whey, chances are supplementing with BCAAs is unnecessary.

>>35475053
Not unreasonable, especially taking into account water/glycogen loss at the beginning of a deficit.

>>35475024
Post a video in /plg/ for more help. It's hard to yell what's throwing your form off without a visual aid.
>>
>>35475280
might do that. thanks anyways guys
>>
How good are those super resistance bands that supposedly offer 100, 200 pounds of resistance?
>>
>>35474940
Are the 1/2/3/4 lifts one rep max, and how long should it take to achieve them?
>>
>>35475147
thanks, I'm the HEMA guy, should I keep going with weighted calisthenics or should I start with barbell?
>>
Is there anything wrong with consuming 60+ grams of sugar daily, if I'm still hitting my macros and getting plenty of fiber?
>>
File: e6a63lD.gif (3 MB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
e6a63lD.gif
3 MB, 480x360
what is the easiest way to increase agility and flexibility? and how effective is this?
>>
>>35475466
Diabetes, dude
>>
>>35475014
halp
>>
>>35475609
Ballet. Not even joking.
>>
Belt for OHP, yes or no?

I feel like I'm leaning back alot, and could be hurting my lower back
>>
Whats the name of the exercise where you are standing ,holding a plate between your two hands at chest level and then push straight out?
>>
What's a good all dumbbell and bench routine I can use for either bulking or cutting? Dumbbells and a bench are all I have right now. Should I just make a version of stronglifts with dumbbells? Any suggestions much appreciated
>>
Should I use a buttplug for a better OHP?
>>
I get a red line from the side of my wrist to about the side of mid forearm whenever I deadlift heavy. Why is that happening? it doesn't really happen on the other arm
>>
>>35474940
cable rows are okay, you could also do 1 arm rows on a bench. Either slow and controlled or 'Kroc' style will probably be closer to bent over rows but with a little less strain on the lower back. Also t-bar rows if you have that machine at your gym
>>
I'm working out a new diet plan to start bulking with a general 40/30/30% split on Carbs/Fat/Protein.

However I'm finding it difficult to get the meals to fit the ratios, mostly around fat. Does it massively effect gains to not have a strict and optimal diet - or will I just see other effects like putting on more fat?
>>
>>35474958
make sure to split your strength work from your endurance work. Have some dedicated heavy stuff and some dedicated endurance work but don't go for medium heavy stuff. Consider it as two different attributes you are working on and do your best to avoid pushing one so hard it starts to impact the other
>>
>>35475996
You don't need to be meticulous about your macros. Just count calories and protein. Eat at a very slight surplus (like 200-300 calories) and you will gain lbm without much fat, even less fat if you do cardio (refer to Lyle mcdonald for the receptor specifics)
>>
>>35476015

I currently weigh 112lbs, the plan has me eating around 2000 calories a day with around 130+ protein a day
>>
>>35474988
The goal of the foam roller is to find spots of tightness and then use your breathing and the pressure to get them to relax. You'll know its working when you can slowly roll over a spot and the acute point of the 'knot' feels less painful than it used to.

5-10 minutes is more than enough, just try to focus on finding the tightest spots and focusing on one each session. You want to chip away at areas that are chronically tight not just rub the whole body all over the place.
>>
>>35475014
what types of exercises are you doing? maybe more static stuff like planks/woodchops etc might be better for you if crunches and stuff are what makes you get sick
>>
>>35475024
make sure your butt is getting backwards enough, if you are leaning way out over the bar it can be hard to get in the right position. Try doing some goblet squats to warm up and prepare your hips to flex enough. liek other people said it's hard to say without seeing where everything is going wrong though
>>
>>35475053
weightloss is rarely linear, you will probably lose a bit more than you think in spurts and then plateau. There's no hard and fast rule.
>>
>>35475763
Not unless you're hurt or lifting competitively.

http://www.backfitpro.com/pdf/weight_belts.pdf
>>
If I can do some excercises fine with a set of dumbbells but some I can't properly perform, should I use different weight ones for the harder excercises or just stick it out?
>>
>>35475061
As long as you are making improvements in the number of reps you do or the weights you are using there is no reason to worry about soreness. Just stick to your plan and if you have an unusually easy day take it as a sign that you can move up in weight or reps the next time you hit that same workout.
>>
>>35475985
Because supinating one hand for the alternating grip changes how the arm hangs and it's rubbing on your thigh.
>>
>>35475116
try pulling from blocks or from the pins in a squat rack. Find a bar height where your back is in the right position and start from there. It's better to pull correctly from a higher position than keep reinforcing back positioning. As you get more comfortable with it you can lower the pins or remove the mats/blocks until you are pulling from the floor. Especially if you have long legs or short arms your proportions might just be working against you
>>
>>35476083
Use weight appropriate for the exercise. If you can squat 200 lbs and overhead press 75 lbs, squat 200 lbs and overhead press 75 lbs. Don't just squat 75 lbs because it's convenient.
>>
>>35475313
Good if you need to work specific movements all the time. Powerlifters like them because they can 'change exercises' by using bands in addition to plates but still keep the same general movement. There's nothing magic about them though.
>>
>>35475344
you should aim to go heavier and heavier to increase strength. You can stick with weighted moves or move over to barbells, depending on the equipment you have available
>>
fem, 4 foot eleven, 110

Looking for some advice on routines I could do at home for now. I'm tight on cash and can't afford a gym membership just yet. A lot of the bodyweight exercises I see don't target all the areas you can do in a gym.

I'm also still trying to lose some more weight.
>>
>>35475609
check your Pavel's book 'relax into stretch'. The general idea is that a lot of flexibility problems are due to your nervous system trying to protect the muscles more than the muscles being too long. He's got some good drills in there that can show really rapid flexibility gains for some people.
>>
>>35475339
Yes. A year of serious training from noob for an average-sized man gaining weight while training. At minimum.
>>
>>35476159
London?
>>
>>35475763
the belt won't fix your form just protect you a little bit. Drop the weight and learn to lock your ribs to your hips as you lift. You need to keep the abs AND glutes tight. It will feel more tiring but once you can get stable that way you will get stronger and your back won't hurt nearly as much. I stalled out at 135lbs OHP for the longest time because my back was arching. Had to back it down to working with 95lbs until I fixed my form and now I can put up 155 about as easily as 135 was before. Took ~2 months and it wasn't my main focus at the time.
>>
>>35475861
how heavy do the dumbells go?
>>
>>35476159
push ups, pull ups, run stairs/hills

google "<exercise> regression" for easier versions if necessary
>>
>>35475996
Depends on your metabolism, how you train and how active you are when not exercising. Do the best you can and keep careful track of how you look/weigh and how you are eating. If things aren't working you can get stricter and see if it helps. Usually being with in 90% of ideal is just as good as being perfect.
>>
>>35476209
all the way

the ones in the pic are 210 lbs a piece
>>
>>35476027
at that weight just focus on keeping regular with your eating. It's better to consistently hit your calories for weeks at a time then to have 2 perfect days and one day where you don't eat anything and then doing over again. Long term consistency is the first step to gaining weight when you are naturally on the small side
>>
>>35476209
25kg
That's all the weight I can fit onto the little DB bar. Can I get by with just adding sets/reps to achieve progression? What routine would you do in my situation anon?
>>
>>35476083
exercises will improve at different weights. Use the weight that lets you work out with correct form for each exercise and feel free to let some exercises improve faster than others
>>
Is it better to have your most protein in the morning, afternoon, evening, or evenly spaced throughout the day?

As a followup, Why?
>>
>>35476159
if you're willing to spend a little time learning then pick up a 16lbs kettlebell. You can use that for a lot of the stuff that is hard to do with bodyweight stuff alone, like hamstring and upper back work. Bodyweight moves should get you the rest of the way as long as you choose good progressions and keep at it.
>>
>>35476270
It doesn't matter. Your body will slow digestion to fully absorb whatever protein you eat.
>>
I am trying to loose some fat, but more or less preserve my gains. Do I keep using whey protein and creatine monohydrate or no?
>>
>>35474940
Any tips on improving long distance running or is it just "run up until a certain threshold, run at that limit for a week, up it the next week, rinse, repeat"?
>>
>>35476296
Steroids.

Next time don't get fat.
>>
>>35476293
There's a study (it's on my old phone you'll have to take my word for it unless you can find it) that shows protein synthesis almost doubles when (in this, it was 16g) protein is taken BEFORE your workout. Protein synthesis change was negligible for post workout protein. It basically showed that when you have proteins available right away, your body can get started on the process immediately vs. Waiting until after

Tl;dr have some protein before your workout when possible. If not, no big deal.
>>
>>35476187
?

No, I'm from America.

>>35476214
Yeah, I run about an hour outside every night. I've just been doing the whole pull-ups/push-ups/etc. for awhile now and haven't been satisfied with my progress.

>>35476278
Oh, good suggestion. Thank you, very much,
>>
>>35476293

So needing to consume most protein 30 minutes after your workout is a myth?
>>
>>35476308
regular long, slow runs + occasional interval training + heavy, low-rep strength training = performance endurance
>>
>>35476340
> implying protein synthesis is the same as muscle building
> implying there aren't dozens of studies showing that nutrient timing matters little to not at all
>>
>>35476353

running an hour outside is not the same as doing sprint repeats on steep hills/stairs

do one arm push ups and one arm pull ups
>>
>>35476357
sweet, bar strength training I've been doing just that for a while now

Now I just gotta find a way to run in the snow/ice without killing myself and I'm good
>>
File: tumblr_nvtq1lzgLH1t16klto1_1280.png (575 KB, 1090x1274) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvtq1lzgLH1t16klto1_1280.png
575 KB, 1090x1274
>>35476368
"Tipton et al.12 found a larger anabolic response when a carbohydrate and protein drink was consumed prior to exercise than if it were consumed immediately after exercise. In this experiment, 6gm of essential amino acids were consumed by both groups either before or after resistance training. They theorized that larger blood flow and amino acid delivery to the muscle during exercise was the reason for the observed increased protein synthesis."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2732256/

I don't know why I don't research this shit for myself desu sempai
>>
>>35476391
Ah, guess you're right. I'll try it on my stairs.
>>
>>35476410
consider cross country skiing as cross training in the winter?
>>
>>35476264
2 day split working out 3 days a week. Hit legs both days and split the upper body into pushing and pulling. Alternate between upper body and lower body exercises to keep rest times down.
3 sets of everything:
Day 1
Goblet squats and Pushups to warm up ~10-15 reps
Lunges, 1 side at a time weighted for 6-10 reps. Once you can do 10 for all 3 sets move up in weight
DB overhead press 6-10 reps
curls 10-15 reps
Side raises 10-15 reps
Farmer walks for time

Day 2)
Lunges and inverted rows (done on the bench or some chairs) to warm up 10-15 reps unweighted.
Step ups with DBs same weighting scheme as lunges
1 arm-rows - warm up (5 reps per weight) to a single heavy set and try to set rep records ~25 reps in the final set. Once you hit your heaviest DBS just keep setting rep records
Suitcase deadlifts until those are easy for 10 reps then move to 1 leg deadlifts
Skull crushers with DBs
Leg raises progressing towards dragon flags and 'reverse flyes' with light dumbells for your upper back/rear delts

alternate 3 days a week and this should be good for ~3 months. Then you'll probably need to get creative or find heavier stuff to lift.
>>
>>35476416
> no actual measurement of muscle growth

nice job

the reason you don't research this shit yourself is because you're a retard who doesn't know how to read a study, or, really, even how science is done.

how about you be a good boy and google things like "nutrient timing irrelevant" and look at the other side
>>
>>35476296
Lift low reps for strength each workout day before you do your more metabolically demanding stuff. Keep protein and creatine high but slowly drop carbs whenever you stop losing weight. Be slow about dropping carbs because you want to keep it gradual so the body adapts and muscles continue to be refueled between workouts.

Keep your carbs post workout or right when you wake up.
>>
>>35476443
that's not a bad idea, but don't you need to have like a dedicated place to do that?

I didn't think cross country skiing was as easy as find a road, throw some CC ski on and go
>>
>>35476353
check out either simple and sinister or Russian Kettlebell challenge by Pavel. He has some good routines in there and nice exercise breakdowns. You can probably find a torrent for both of them floating around.
>>
>>35476354
Yeah, it seems like consistently getting enough protein is all that really matters.
>>
>>35476416
protein synthesis immediately post workout has not been proven to translate into long term hypertrophy. Just like burning fat while running doesn't always translate into long term fat loss.
>>
im a chubby faggot who bought a jumping rope a week ago, are there any useful routines for beginners? im just getting the hang of it and fucking up my jumps less and less.
1,84m - 80kg/160lbs, i usually get exhausted after 2 minutes of skipping kinda fast
>>
>>35476517
just stay consistent with it. Once you can hit 100 jumps consistently start throwing in double unders every 10 or so and work down that number until you can hit double unders consistently.

Keep the intensity high and the sets short and just add sets as you get into better shape. Take care of your calves, you don't want to get too sore at the begining just stick with it for a while.

Eventually when you can hit like 20 double unders for sets you'll be damn agile and probably a lot leaner.
>>
>>35476545
thanks! the only thing is that my foot arch(arches?) hurt after roughly 3 minutes skipping, im assuming this is normal and maybe it'll go away after i get used to it?
>>
>>35476047
That makes sense, but I was hoping that I could fix the vomit-comet thing. It can't be fucking normal to do this. If I could find a way not to throw up there would be no problem right.
>>
File: 1448512471727.jpg (38 KB, 1223x1240) Image search: [Google]
1448512471727.jpg
38 KB, 1223x1240
>>35475654
>>
Currently I am cutting and doing SS (started 2 months ago with lifting). My lifts stalled now. Is it because I am cutting? What do now? Bulk or maintaining strength and keep cutting? Help me senpaitachi
>>
Is it actually possible to make progress on SS while eating at maintenance? I've been told you are supposed to eat like a mad man while on this routine
>>
File: 1451852579496.jpg (43 KB, 547x465) Image search: [Google]
1451852579496.jpg
43 KB, 547x465
Serious noob question

What does it mean by alternating in greyskull?

Like literally doing OHP BP OHP BP etc until 5 sets of each are done in one day? or every other day 1 do OHP?
>>
File: image.jpg (191 KB, 888x812) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
191 KB, 888x812
>>35474940
/fit/, I'm concerned obout my first bulk.
Before I started (1,5-2 months ago) I was kinda skinny for my length, 5'10 70kgs. Now, I,ve gained about 7kg of mass, but all of it is stored in my belly.

Like, I don't think other body parts became bigger, only my belly. Is this a problem for when I cut? Will it even out later? Did I bulk too fast (I'm on 3000kcal a day, mostly clean eating) is it my routine? (SL 5x5). Should I change my diet?

Please help, I want to make it.
>>
>>35476816
On the day u do overhead press u do chinups aswell. then next day is bench press and bb rows
>>
Is hiking bad for my knees?

Should I pull my shoulders up when I shrug or back and up?

Barbell curl (shoulders back) or ez bar curls (shoulders forward)

How many farmers walks to end workout? Just one high volume one?

Skullcrushers or standing French press?
>>
scooby's calculator says i'm to cut at like 5k calories a day. Yes i'm gigantic. I'm over 400lbs and I bench 400 and strict press over 250 after about 5 months of serious lifting. I want to lose weight but I dont want to lose any more strength or muscle than is absolutely mandatory. George Leeman advises cutting on as many calories as possible so you have to reduce them less so should i do it?
>>
>>35476817
You kinda have 2 options here, you either slow down but that will mean you eventually stall faster thus leading to lesser gains in the long term or just keep up on what you're doing and as long as you are actually progressing then you will look good in the long term.

tl;dr cut now or forget about your bodyfat for 1-2 years since gaining muscle is much harder and losing fat is easy.
>>
>>35476629
yeah just keep at it and don't overdo it in a single session. like I said keep the sets short and just do more of them so your body gets time to recover. Get good at jumping first then start pushing the time.
>>
>>35476688
make sure you're not holding your breath when you work abs. It's a common mistake and that can definitely cause some issues. Do you do abs after working other stuff? maybe making them their own sesison would also help because high levels of blood lactate (lactic acid) can make some people nauseated.
>>
>>35476702
Just keep the diet clean and eat enough that your lifts start moving up. Get strong first then circle back and try to maintain your higher weight without getting fatter.
>>
Had some pain in the middle of my back (slightly higher than the bottom of my ribs and in the center) while I was squatting. I've been off for two weeks and dropped a few kg from where I was before Christmas.

I've got really bad lumbar lordosis which I'm working on fixing. Could this be the issue? If it is, should I just not squat until I've corrected my posture? Or could it have been simply I went too heavy after a break?
>>
I've been doing an upper body (chest,back,shoulders,tris,bis) and lower body split (quads,hams,calves and some lower back) for about 3 months now since i started lifting. When should i change my routine and if so what routine would be the best?
thanks in advance
>>
>>35476892
hiking is better than running, might wear you out in the long term. Don't do it immediately after heavy leg workotus

just pull the shoulders straight up.

Shoulders should be pulled back for both types of curls, change around what type of curls you do every few weeks for variety.

One high volume one is fine for grip strength. You'll get more conditioning work by doing several sets. depends on your priorities

whichever one hurts your elbows less
>>
>>35476926
start with that number and see how things go. slowly reduce the numbers if you don't see results. if you keep things gradual nothing disasterous will happen. it's a very individual process so you just have to experiement and see.
>>
I stopped lifting due to injury, but I've healed and started again a month ago. I've gone back to the SL 5x5 routine.

Since I stopped for a while, I lost some gains, and the routine suggests I start at a relatively low weight, which I have been doing for the month. I'm doing all these in 5x5 atm, Squat 70kg, Bench 60kg, Row 50kg, Press 40kg, and DL 100kg.

I know that with the squat, bench, and row I can easily add more weight and still do the exercise, and I'm considering it, as I'm bulking over winter, but I'm not gonna get much workout with this light weight. But if I do, it may affect my progression.

So I wanted to know if I should:
A: Stick with the plan
B: Add the extra weight
C: Change to a new routine for winter

Bearing in mind that I don't have any ideas for a new routine.
>>
>>35477158
I don't hold my breath.
I do abs after cardio. Does cardio also give high levels of blood lactate?
>>
>>35477189
probably a little of both. Focus on keeping your air in and not letting your ribs get too far from your hips when you tighten the back. the goal is flat neutral and flex, not overly arched.
>>
>>35477192
if you are getting results then stick with your current routine just change out exercises if you stall out on one or have been doing it for 2-3 months straight. No need to drastically change routines until it stops working or your schedule requires a different split.
>>
>>35477214
thank you for the serious answer. any idea what kind of macro split I should be using? I was thinking 300g protein 150-200g fat rest carbs more or less
>>
is there a way that I can make my smoothie and put all my ingredients together the night before so that the morning of my workout, all I have to do is blend it?
>>
>>35477221
stick with the plan. you can do slightly larger jumps in weight for the next few weeks but its better to progress up nice and slow so you keep the results coming than to quickly jump up in weight and get stuck.

you could consider doing something similar like greyskull where you set rep records at the lighter weights.
>>
>>35477286
I usually get all the shit I blend together, and portion it in tupperwear containers, and shove them in the freezer. Then all I do is pour milk into the blender, add container, and blend.
>>
>>35477301
Yeah, it's just that I don't want to lose out on gains with this bulking phase.

I just don't feel enough fatigue after workout sessions at the moment, except for legs when I do squats and deads.
>>
How early or late do you guys workout, better late than never right?
>>
>>35477384
i work from 8am to 6pm and cant' stand a crowded gym so I usually take a nap after work and go at somewhere between 11pm and 2am. It's horrible lol
>>
>>35477450
Thanks for the response, and here I thought working out at 8pm was too late.
>>
>>35477530
i tried going before work but it left me feeling ridiculously tired at work
>>
>>35477197
Thanks for the reply.

For the hiking, is there anything I can do outside of decent boots that will lessen the impact over time?

For the farmers walks, would conditioning be the goal for the next few months then?
>>
>>35477384
Depends on the person honestly I don't feel as strong in the morning (tried lifting for a full 2 months at 7 am) meanwhile at 7-8 pm I hit all my PRs.
>>
How long should I rest between sets? I'm just starting out, but intend to do 4 types of exercises tomorrow, with 4 sets in each exercise. If I rest 2 minutes between each set for each exercise, that's 32 minutes of just resting. I'm not sure if I have that kind of time; is that typical? Do I need to consider that in my workout schedule?
>>
Will being small limit my lifts?
I am 5"5` 18y 70kg with thin wirst and small hands. I am looking to become a big guy, how much can i bulk up and get big?
>>
>>35477224
yeah it can, try doing your abs workout by itself and see if you have the same issues. some people just have low threshold for gag reflex.
>>
>>35477268
that sounds fine, make sure you are getting a good mix of fats - if all that fat is coming from a single sources it might be too much.

first move more carbs to the morning or post workout, then drop carbs slowly. if you start having trouble making it through workouts replace some fats with carbs and see how that works out. Try to stick with a given split for about 2 weeks before you make adjustments and eat more calories than you drink.
>>
I know you guys aren't doctors or anything but I've constant mucus in the back of my throat for a few weeks now and I don't know what's causing it. I don't have any cold symptoms or anything
>>
Has anyone tried the powerlifting to win novice program? I'm curious as to how well it works or if I'm better off with SS.
>>
>>35477338
Focus on eating big and you will be fine. The goal of bulking is to stay in that caloric surplus while you get some kind of anabolic stimulus, its better to be constantly pushing up the weights during a bulk than to plateau early and end up stuck at a given weight.

Try supersetting your upperbody movements while they still feel light so you are increasing your work 'density' and then you can switch back to straight sets when they get heavy enough to require more rest.
>>
>>35477384
better late than never for sure. the important part is you adapt your eating to fit your workout schedule. Don't go into a workout right after a huge meal or after fasting for more than 3 hours. As long as you are consistent your body will adapt to whatever time you workout.
>>
Just got a dicks sporting goods card for 50 bucks I can chip in +- 10 dollars. What should I buy?
>>
>>35477598
maybe stick with trails that have larger vertical climbs, going up hills is easier on your knees than doing stuff on flatland. There are plenty of mountain men who hike for decades and are fine. Make sure you're doing plenty of hamstring work and foam rolling the quads so your knees are stable and supported.

Depends on your goals for the farmers walks. Work up in weight for a while until you can carry half your bodyweight in each hand for 30 seconds and you'll be a monster no matter how you get there lol.
>>
>>35477882
the closer to your 1 rep max or the more 'explosive' the movement is the more you should rest. if you're doing more than 10 reps you can cut the rest down. a good rule of thumb is rest until you can talk without panting for higher rep stuff and rest long enough that your performance doesnt drop for strength focused stuff. You might have shorter rests at the beginning and slow down a bit at the end and that's fine. If your goal is getting stronger than longer breaks will help, for building mass it's okay to try and keep the rest shorter and just keep the muscles working.
>>
>>35477882
consider alternating between exercises with only 1 minute breaks. For instance bench then rest 1 minute then a set of pullups then rest 1 minute and back to bench. That way you have 2 minutes between each bench set but you're not just sitting around for a long time.

You can also just hit pushups or stretching between exercises if you don't want to abandon your station.
>>
>>35477898
it will limit your lifts, but having a smaller bone structure means you need less muscle mass to look muscular. Look at lifters like Stan Mcquay or Franco Columbo - not as heavy as some other bodybuilders but they looked great.

Ed Coan was one of the greatest powerlifters of all time and he wasn't much over 5'6
>>
>>35478023
could be an allergy to one of your supplements, try rotating each one out for 2 weeks and see if it changes. Also some people develop temporary egg allergies if you eat them every day for a long time. Same thing can happen with certain plants, read up on food intolerances and see if you eat any of the common culprits
>>
>>35478046
Get at 16kg kettlebell or a pair of good resistance bands. KB is great for warming up with goblet squats and swings, resistance bands let you do a lot of upper back work and mobility stuff and are easy to carry around.

A nice speed jump rope is also a good investment.
>>
>>35477976
Ok I'll try that. Thanks bro.
>>
MY SHOULDERS ARE MESSED UP; i had a tumor grow in my growth plate near my shoulder when I was way younger and because of it my right arm is a few inches shorter then my left and It starts to really hurt doing OHP with dumbbells (im at 35lb 5x5). I'm trying to go easy to not hurt myself but damn I got sore for two days after my last workout and not the good kind.

What can I do to increase shoulder ROM and flexibility? I can't really seem to lock it out on top of my head.
>>
>>35478323
try doing a lot of high repetition work with resistance bands. This is what they have you do in physical therapy anyway. Band pull aparts, shoulder dislocations, etc etc
>>
>>35478127
I plan to do higher weight with lower reps. Honestly somewhere between only 4 to 6 reps per set. I suppose I'll need to just wait it out after each set and gear that time into my scheduling? Kinda sucks, since it basically doubles the time I intended to be there, but I don't want to hurt myself or be unable to continue the workout either.
>>
>>35478483
do mobility work or foam rolling during your breaks, no reason to totally waste the time.
>>
File: 125819-004-39548B68.jpg (91 KB, 550x400) Image search: [Google]
125819-004-39548B68.jpg
91 KB, 550x400
how can you tell the difference between muscle and back pain, been trying out high bar and getting discomfort around these areas straight after squatting
its the next day and I can feel it still, its not hurting
>>
>>35478681
sounds muscular but you should still work on your technique, you want the glutes and hips to be holding the load not your back. Try staying more vertical and making sure to get braced before you start the first movement. look up the video 'two squats' by kelly starrett for some good advice about getting set before squatting heavy.
>>
>>35478739
thanks, this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TIP8eNJmMg
>>
>>35478777
yeah exactly. If you don't get set right out of the rack it's easy to end up in a weird position.
>>
File: tumblr_nvyvd9yxMN1upq6j7o2_500.jpg (54 KB, 420x630) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvyvd9yxMN1upq6j7o2_500.jpg
54 KB, 420x630
people who have experience with keto - does it negatively affect strength training? I'm going on a small two week cut I think but I would still like to make progress. I read this on wikipedia:
>"However, studies also indicate that while low-carb diets will not reduce endurance performance after adapting, they will probably deteriorate anaerobic performance such as strength-training or sprint-running because these processes rely on glycogen for fuel"

I'm not calorie restricting, just eliminating starchy foods for veggies and meat.
>>
>>35478681
Different anon, but how do you tell if you hurt your muscles or your spine? I've had lower back pain on my spine for the past few weeks
>>
>>35478947
no easy way without seeing a doctor. Taking ibuprofen or other anti inflammatories might help muscle pain. If the pain is very sharp, radiates or shoots like lightning it is more likely neural. Slipped discs are their own beast. best to see a doctor if the pain isnt going away.
>>
>>35478194
Alright, thanks
>>
File: nigge.jpg (2 MB, 2313x1813) Image search: [Google]
nigge.jpg
2 MB, 2313x1813
How's this for 6 weeks progress from skellymode?
>>
>>35479150
clean your mirror/10
>>
Just got a bike for Christmas so I can join my girl on the weekends. Anything I need to know/grab for a older novice (been 15-20 years since I non-machine biked before)?

tools or otherwise? Will likely grab a helmet next trip into town.
>>
I have scoliosis on my lower back, it is really hard for me to stand straight.

Should i avoid using barbells?
>>
File: 1359665431921.jpg (321 KB, 1024x821) Image search: [Google]
1359665431921.jpg
321 KB, 1024x821
>>35474940
When cutting, does the macros matter so much even if I am on a deficit already?

I worry that I am eating too much carbs or w/e
>>
>>35479098
It's just very slight only when I arch my back, its more of a dull pain.
Separate question: what is dynamic stretching and which ones should I do?
>>
>>35479150
6 weeks doesn't count as progress. Check again in 6 months.
>>
>>35479171
adjust that seat so you don't lose circulation to your taint while riding.
>>
>>35479222
Trips

Low carb diet is a great "finisher" for a cut (or a crasher) its your ace-in-the-hole so to speak. However, I dont think its as sustainable for long periods of time. And we all know fat loss is a marathon.
>>
>>35479285
You might be okay, see the K starr video for some types to make sure your setup is good
>>35478777

Dynamic stretching is anything that involves movement. Some good ones are reverse lunges (slide the leg backwards), bodyweight squats or goblet squats, sumo squats where you drop into a sumo deadlift position then grab your toes and stand up keeping the back as flat as you can, Wall slides or floor slides, band pull aparts and shoulder dislocations with a stick.
>>
>>35479222
make sure you're getting enough proteins and a mix of fats, you don't want to lose excessive muscle while cutting. Try to get most of your carbs from plant material and not grains and you should be fine on a calorie deficit.
>>
opinions on effect of taking 1mg arimidex (Anastrazole) everyday on gainz for a skinnyfat newbie?
>>
>>35479528
negligible compared to actually eating properly and sticking to a good routine
>>
Thinking of starting PPL

whats the best set/rep ranges? 3x5?
>>
My right lats are more developed than left wut do anons?
>>
>>35479634
keep lifting
>>
Is it reasonable to cut down body fat after a bulk by doing the same exercises and eating less, or is cardio a must? I really fucking hate running but I'm getting a bit beefy.
>>
How well would SS and convict conditioning work together? Should I alternate days or do both workouts on the same days?
>>
>>35479709
depends on lots of factors including your metabolism and activity levels outside the gym. Try cleaning up the diet a bit in 2 week cycles, if that doesn't do it then you might consider adding in other stuff. Doesn't have to be straight cardio, you could try reducing your rest times or supersetting more of your movements to increase the metabolic demand of your current program
>>
>>35479754
Prioritize SS and do convict conditioning on your off days when you feel up to it. If you miss a conditioning day it's not as big a deal as missing a strength day.
>>
Anyone have that pic with the snapchat screenshot of a some cunt making a stupid face with a dude in the background with the caption "NEW GYM POSE?" and below it an anon's analyzing why she's some dumb cunt?
>>
>>35479760
Makes sense! Thanks for the answer, buddy.
>>
I'm making a meal plan before a routine plan and I'm a bit worried as a skelly

I wanted to bulk on eggs in the morning but the cholesterol sounds high (2K mg) and so does the sodium (1K mg). I added a whole other shit to my food plan for the rest of the day it the shit added up

How the fuck do you guys not worry about the dietary cholesterol intake and the sodium? In b4 eggs are good, I know they raise hdl. Still, by the way you folks bulk; I can't imagine how your list looks like
>>
>>35479778
bumppu
>>
>>35474940
In ss when it says 3x5 do I actually do 4x5, bit the first 1x is just the bar as a warmup?

Also how long should I set my timer for rest between sets.
>>
>>35480030
pretty sure on the wiki page with the routine it says ur supposed to do 5 sets of warmup, first 2 being the bar and 3 being equal weight apart between the bar and your actual working weight
resting is as long as u need
correct me if im wrong
>>
>>35479870
dietary cholesterol has a very weak association between blood cholesterol levels, it's not worth completely freaking out over. You could always go pure eggwhites if it really worries you but staying active and getting enough fiber should take care of your cholesterol plenty.
>>
what's the progression like when you're doing a brosplit? presumably you can't add weight as often as a strength focused lp routine
>>
Does anybody have images of body weight resistance training routines? Thanks!
>>
>>35480030
in any program they usually don't list the warmups, just working sets. So do what it takes to warm up properly and then get into it.
>>
So going to the gym on a regular basis is basically impossible due to how busy my job has gotten.

Would buying an adjustable dumbbell (I live in a shoebox in NYC), and a bench hold me off until I have more time again? Obviously lower body will suffer compared to barbells, but I don't have that luxury.

The gym is far, and it's closed by the time I get home from work ash least half the time. I feel like this is my only choice right now, unless there's a better solution out there.
>>
>>35480201
Progress on reps then on weight, for example with 3 sets of 8-12 move up in weight when you hit all 12 reps all 3 sets. Stick with that weight until you hit 3x12 again
>>
are there any exercises or methods to make one's nose bigger?
>>
>>35480298
wait so should i be doing >>35480091, i read it off here:
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/FAQ:The_Program
>>
>>35480301
throw in a heavy kettlebell for swings and other leg stuff and some resistance bands and you can probably do everything you need to to stay in pretty good shape.
>>
>>35480341
yeah that will work fine. Don't stress out about the warmups, just make sure you are ready to give your best on the work sets. 5 sets might be excessive if you bench 95lbs for your work sets, but you might need that many as you get strong.
>>
never done mixed grip deadlift before, but i've been told it's the way i have to go if i want to improve
currently stalled at 125kgx5 @70kg

is it hard to transition?
should i swap arms every rep or after each set?
>>
>>35480404

it's simple.. and you will notice the difference instantly
>>
>>35480404
just make sure you keep the elbows locked so you don't stress your biceps and you will be fine. Stick with double overhand on your warmups and just use mixed grip when you are in danger of dropping it. Alternate between sets if you want but lots of people have a preference for one way over the other and seem to get along fine without switching it up too often.
>>
Does anyone have a good video about stretching
>>
Aight, a couple stupid questions:

1) Should I go for Crunch or Breakaway in terms of gyms? Will I be left alone when I'm in the gym?

2) Is SL5X5 alright for a program?

3) In order to do a pullup, should losing weight be my first priority? Am overweight (164 5'8).

4) Cardio. Does C25K work alright?
>>
When should I eat in relation to my workout? I have roughly 4 months of experience and will eat a banana, a cup of nuts, and a cup of black coffee roughly 30 minutes before exercising. Is this recommended? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>35480542
that's fine as long as the rest of your diet is in line. periworkout nutrition doesn't have a lot of science either way so go with what works best for you and make sure to hit your macros otherwise
>>
>>35474940
Is it bad to lift in the morning? My friend told me it is bad to lift within two hours of waking up because of something to do with your spinal fluid not being warmed up?
>>
>>35480404
Not woth risking a torn bicepl. That is what killed enuies gains.
>>
>>35480686

Not really. Gear, preacher curls and an undiagnosed infection killed his gains.
>>
Is there any reason I shouldn't use an axle bar for all my lifts? Besides slower progression I'm interested in blowing up y forearms and general strong man stuff

>tfw your new gyms has a tyre, sled and axle sized handles for cables
>>
File: 1444588605594.png (73 KB, 226x297) Image search: [Google]
1444588605594.png
73 KB, 226x297
How come there are several "high carb (raw) " vegans who lift and seem to gain muscle visibly? How is it explained then?
>>
Whats the difference between
10,000 steps on the stairmaster and 10,000 steps on a steep inclined treadmill.

????????????????????????????
>>
File: 1451341149068.png (73 KB, 201x226) Image search: [Google]
1451341149068.png
73 KB, 201x226
>If I keep cutting, I'll be skelly
>If I bulk, I'll quickly get fat and have even worse lovehandles

What the fuck do I do? I just want to be aesthetic
>>
File: Starting bodyweight.jpg (2 MB, 2481x6600) Image search: [Google]
Starting bodyweight.jpg
2 MB, 2481x6600
>>35480256
>>
>>35481114
>several "high carb (raw) " vegans
Who? There are no such people, anon.
>>
>>35481114
Halflife of muscle tissue in the body is very short like 15 days or something like that, full replacement every 90 days or so. Are you eating 30 lbs of muscle every 90 days. probably not. the body is very adepts at recycling broken down components. there's only like 3 or 4 essential amino acids we can't produce ourselves. There bodies become highly adapted to recycle and repair.
But they max out metabolically, and reach a plateau where they're destroying as much as they can synthesize.
Great way to generally avoid cancer because the body is killing any weak cells for their nutrients.
Its very good up until you hit that natural limit and everything gets creaky. about 200 days or so when the fascia and ligaments and tendons becomes degraded, and its thresholds reduced. When you're replacing most of the protein based tissues of the body not just the muscle.
>>
>>35481248
that sounds scary anon
>>
is ICF 5x5 good
>>
>>35481199
Lifting while eating maintenance will prevent you getting fat. Slower progress than a bulk but you still get gains,
>>
>>35481303
how can you get gains if you are eating just as much as you need
>>
File: 1446185498530.png (276 KB, 465x349) Image search: [Google]
1446185498530.png
276 KB, 465x349
If cum contains protein, and you can make your own cum whenever you want, why can't you just eat your own cum for infinite gains? Someone tell me why I shouldn't be living purely off a diet of my own cum right now.
>>
Is Walmart Whey any good?
>>
>>35481309
You just answered your own question.
>>
File: 1426178316150.jpg (22 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1426178316150.jpg
22 KB, 512x384
>>35481380
Would it still be better to cut to a certain body fat then slow bulk until I die
>>
>>35481413
The best option would be an hero, fatty
>>
>>35481351
Because cum contain negligible protein.
Cum being mostly protein is a myth.
>>
Dumb question. My dick flaccid is about 2.5 inches. However, when it's cold, it literally becomes a micropenis, sometimes shorter than an inch.

While this doesn't give me any problems with girls, my pals laugh at me whenever we hang around naked in cold places. Any advice on how to control penis shrink?
>>
>>35481460
Tell your friends to stroke it a bit and see how big it really is. That's what I usually do.
>>
Are trice pulldowns good enough to build great triceps?
>>
File: lars.jpg (18 KB, 234x276) Image search: [Google]
lars.jpg
18 KB, 234x276
>>35481460
>whenever we hang around naked in cold places
>>
Why do people say it isn't healthy to lose much body fat if you don't have any musclemasses to begin with?
For an example:
As a 1.73m tall guy with 71.3kg I want to try to lose weight until I am 58kg.
The funny thing is, that I have a high amount of body fat for my body.
So the sensible decision would be to lose the fat before I slowly bulk back to 70?

Why is this met with disapproval by others?
>>
File: 1333313064070.jpg (92 KB, 400x407) Image search: [Google]
1333313064070.jpg
92 KB, 400x407
>>35481460
How often do you and your friends hang out naked where this is a problem?
>>
>>35481541
At that level, your noobgains will progress so quickly that a bulking diet isn't necessary to gain muscle. Just recomp what you have until your noobgains are minimized
>>
>>35481489
no , this question has been asked enough to be troll right?
>>
About how many situps / pushups do you do in an entire day? Goal is to get abs but I don't see how doing 30 a day would even come close to what I want
>>
Well /fit/, my gym opens back up tomorrow so I'm going to continue the work I've already started, I've been lifting for about a month now and I'm in love with it. Do you all have any tips for a newbie that you wish you knew when you started?
>>
File: Oh anon.png (477 KB, 560x500) Image search: [Google]
Oh anon.png
477 KB, 560x500
>>35481684
>30 a day
>>
>>35481566
I do not want to recomp yet though.
I want to cut until I am 65kg and then recomp.
This should be acceptable.
>>
How do I use foam rollers? The link in the sticky doesn't work.
>>
>>35474940
Can anyone link me to a proper power clean form video?

Do you shrug the bar or do you bend your elbows on the explosion part?

Also power cleaning tips.

I'm wary of actually following Rip's instructions on doing them because he's saying that you should jump but some people are arguing against it.
>>
File: img1451896258490.jpg (2 MB, 1094x1300) Image search: [Google]
img1451896258490.jpg
2 MB, 1094x1300
How many calories does this approximate to?
Would it work to cut on with me being 6'3 205 lbs?

For clarity first line says 1 yolk 3 egg whites
>>
What is the harm in consuming a large portion of carbs daily if you are physically active?
>>
blah blah blah sob story time: used to lift a lot, fractured my neck and partially tore my rotator cuff in a tackle playing rugby. Pretty limited by instability issues when I move my arm over parallel to ground. Stopped doing shit and I stacked on the fat after the accident. I was 116kg/6'0" in April last year (previous run on weight was 88kg).

I've been diligent with my diet since July and I'm down to 98kg but I do nothing but work and watch youtube. Finding that the restricted diet and limited activity is making my cranky, and I want to do more physically to be able to ease up on the diet. Medical advice is that I should be ok to do weights up to around 60kg bi-laterally, if I stay away from overhead.

>What program is good for someone who has knowledge, but not much physical ability.

If you care, these are my old lifting numbers:
>squat: 205kg 3x3
>deadlift: 190kg 3x3
>bench: 92.5kg 5x5 (I have always hated bench)
>>
>>35481915
As long as you are hitting your calories, macros, and micros, nothing.

People hate on carbs, but it's because it is easy to binge on carbs and go over your calories.
>>
>>35481935
With a fractures neck I recommend getting a physical therapist, not asking for advice on a Bevarian otter breeding forum
>>
If someone's goal is just to look good, could they just stick to using machines at the gym? Or would free weights still be a must
>>
Starting SL today.
They preach Chuck Taylor's for lifting but found pic related in my closet.
Are these good shoes to lift in?
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>35482219

Not really. They've got a fairly thick, soft sole which is the opposite of what you usually want.
>>
https://www.t-nation.com/training/master-the-floor-press

this article seems to imply there is no need for bench press, only floor press.
out of curiousity, today i did 4 sets of floor press; and found I can bring the bar down to about 1/2 inch above my chest (maybe even less) - assuming a wide enough grip, and tucked elbows with a bit of an arch.

if i arched harder it would probably be full rom...

..do i even need to bench?
>>
>>35482237

There's no need for any particular lift unless you happen to compete in that lift. You have a horizontal press in your routine that you can safely perform and incrementally load? Good enough for most purposes.

But you probably don't want a super-wide grip on floor presses. Tends to put a lot of stress on the shoulders.
>>
Calories in 100g of white (not being racist here) cooked rice? I can't understand that macro. It has 300cals uncooked/100g
>>
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3116537/

is there any truth to this article? will standing around barefoot in my yard reduce DOMS??
>>
File: 1451834382274.png (125 KB, 500x350) Image search: [Google]
1451834382274.png
125 KB, 500x350
best quest bar flavour?
>>
>>35482277
sure bro, I also saw a research that said killing yourself would permanently reduce your DOMS.
>>
>>35482288
why does this topic always attract shitstains like you?
>>
Just started using Tinder. See it talked about on here frequently.
Tips, tricks, and cheats?
>>
>>35482261
Depends on the waterweight. You should measure from the amount of dry rice you use.

>>35482278
Disgusting
>>
>>35482347
Try Grindr instead. Better for gains
>>
>>35482347

Meet up with matches and put benins in vagina.
>>
>>35482250
awesome.

in that case my home gym is complete.
>>
What is best swim for cardio?
I do breaststroke pool end to pool end at the moment but would freestyle be better?
>>
guys im doing IF but i cant workout during the fasted state so after i do 16 hours i workout after one meal, do i lose much?
>>
I legit think that I could have very low testosterone. I'm constantly tired, low sex drive and passive. What do?
>>
what are easy ways to integrate vegetables into a diet without salad
>>
File: 1451621959337.jpg (19 KB, 245x280) Image search: [Google]
1451621959337.jpg
19 KB, 245x280
>>35482396
>disgusting
why so?
it's bad of me to enjoy something tasty or eat something processed every once in a while..?
>>
>>35482528
steam broccoli

>>35482521
doctor. It's the only way to be sure, and the only way to get test if you need injections.

>>35482533
Yes. You are disgusting. Pls hero.
>>
Kind of "medical" question brehs.

After rapidly waking and getting up this morning one of my ears is ringing and is semi-deaf. SHit has never happened before. I tried to yawn etc but simple methods don't help. Should I be worried or just wait it out? It's been on for ~5hours now.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 37

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.