[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Outdated BMI
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: New Standards.jpg (10 KB, 200x202) Image search: [Google]
New Standards.jpg
10 KB, 200x202
So why exactly do people believe that the BMI is outdated? Did we somehow evolve since its invention, so that our bodies can sustain greater weights? I understand it can be irrelevant for people who get mad gains, but I know people that say they aren't overweight even though they are teetering on 200lbs. It's sad to see these people lie and give up.

>tfw you are now overweight instead of obese
>>
BMI is not accurate for people with a high amount of muscle mass. It will accuse oobesity but in the reality the person is very healthy.
>>
If we are talking about BMI calculators on the internet those are shit, but the good old clamps never lie.
>>
>>35472942
BMI is not accurate as an individual diagnoses(that's why it's rarely used like this anymore), but as a tool to describe populations, it is very useful.
Like >>35473177
however, if you talk about the average bmi of a country, well than you are talking about obesity, how many super muscular people are there.
Basically BMI is a population tool, that's how it should be used.
>>
>>35473202
BMI calculators on the internet are 100% right. BMI is an objective number that can be easily calculated.

If you are a professional athlete and/or using steroids, BMI numbers won't work for you.
>>
>>35473177
this is true, but in reality 99% of the people who claim this are actually just lardasss in denial. basically for like .0001% of the population it's inaccurate because of bodybuilders, but a majority of us, including fit, are not bodybuilders
>>
File: 1416416283597.png (161 KB, 1252x736) Image search: [Google]
1416416283597.png
161 KB, 1252x736
>>35473202
The problem with BMI is that it underestimates obesity. You are not the 1% faggot
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-01-03-12-44-00.png (239 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-01-03-12-44-00.png
239 KB, 1080x1920
>>35473248
Not a professional, but I was 6ft 170 in hs and at like 10% bf. It shows I would be pic related
>>
>>35473177
This. BMI charts assume statistical averages based on the entire population, and those assumptions don't take into account someone who is intentionally athletic and fit beyond the average, non-exercising person.

If you want to know what your actual body composition is, then you need to find a doctor's office that has a DEXA scan machine, which was developed for bone densitometry, but part of measuring your bone density is differentiating adipose tissue (bodyfat) and lean tissue (muscle, organs) from your bones. A DEXA scan for just body composition is the Gold Standard of body composition testing and is worth the money.
>>
>>35473421
See
>>35473253
>>
>>35473508
..no, you apparently don't understand:

>The DEXA (duel-energy X-ray absorptiometry) scan provides one of the most highly accurate measurements of body composition available, registering fat and lean mass distribution throughout the entire body. In simple terms, it is capable of detailing overall, as well as regional, fat mass, lean mass, and bone mass - all for the relatively inexpensive price of around one hundred dollars.

http://breakingmuscle.com/health-medicine/the-scale-lies-why-the-dexa-scan-is-best

BMI charts are bullshit.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.