[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Real talk /fit/. Lifting for one year and 3 months, i wan't
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
Real talk /fit/.
Lifting for one year and 3 months, i wan't something new to try. Calisthenics seems great but im scared to lose my gains because bodyweight is maybe not enough..
What do you guys think ?
>>
File: strong-gymnast.jpg (61 KB, 396x594) Image search: [Google]
strong-gymnast.jpg
61 KB, 396x594
As far as I know, bodyweight training or calisthenics build muscles as well as weight training

the calisthenics guys are huge. Gymnastics are huge.

This is what I found as well:
> http://www.vahvafitness.com/how-big-can-you-get-with-bodyweight-training/
>>
File: 406400_zoom.jpg (204 KB, 1402x1160) Image search: [Google]
406400_zoom.jpg
204 KB, 1402x1160
>>35469054
yes, these are huge
>>
You can definitely get big with calisthetics. It'll just take longer than weight lifting and progress is slower. But you have a wide variety of different experiences to do and you can do them anywhere plus impressive tricks while out and about makes the honeys wet.
>>
>>35469054
Fucking miring those arms
>>
>>35469054
yeah they seems great but i always wonder if they only do bodyweight, ive heard bodyweight is great at first but then you must switch to "weighted" bodyweight to get gains
>>
>>35469054
>As far as I know, bodyweight training or calisthenics build muscles as well as weight training
false.

>the calisthenics guys are huge.
no, but a few of them are pretty ripped. the vast majority are not.

>Gymnastics are huge.
gymnasts are manlets with low bf%. they're not that huge, plus the gymnasts you see are elite athletes with (usually) over a decade of hard training to get where they are.

and don't forget the most important thing for muscle growth: steroids.

the reality is that if you're a natty lifter of average ability, aren't already an athlete and want to look decent in a reasonable amount of time, lifting is pretty much the only way. or roids.
>>
>>35469091
>>35469025
what about weighted pull up and stuff, it's bodyweight plus weight
can always be an option
>>
>>35469078
its hard to get endless progression with all exercises yes. There are only so many pullups you can do before it stops being as beneficial for hypertrophy and strength. At that points its easiest to keep overloading by going for weighted pullups, but you can do archers or muscle-up progressions instead.

Same thing with dips and pushups and rows. Yes its easy to progress them by weighting them but there are harder variations to do too.
>>
>>35469078
fill a backpack with sand and continue
>>
>>35469112
OP here, in my case i wan't the "athletic" body type so i guess calisthenic is a good choice.
I think you shouldn't do it if your objective is strenght or huge hypertrophy
>>
>>35469137
if athletic is what you want calisthenics is perfect. fuck spending money on a gym just to get 'ottermode'

i went from skele to ottermode with a pretty simple upper/lower 2 day split. it's not hard
>>
>>35469025

is it the camera angle or is the right hand guy's chest a fucking cavern?
>>
>>35469109
weighted pullups are good, but keep in mind that most lifters also do pullups/chinups. it's the exception, not the rule. the real meat and bones of (especially natty) lifting are squats, deadlift, bench press, press, rows and chins. these are exercises that can be trained and improved for years. most of them don't have good BW alternatives.
>>
File: fitnessFAQs.jpg (182 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
fitnessFAQs.jpg
182 KB, 1200x800
>>35469137
You're right for two things: maximal strength is better trained by weight training, and its much easier to isolate muscles to the necessary overload in bodyweight training to get really good hypertrophy.

However, to get athletic takes a certain amount of dedication etc that may be easier to achieve with weighted training: its easier to microload and see linear progress, so most people are better at staying consistent with weight training rather than bodyweight training.

>>35469134
This can work purely for added weight but comes with a number of other factors that need to be considered: it'll shift your centre of mass and thus gravity will act on you differently in conjunction to your body levers, it may restrict movement of certain joints and bones, and thus can be harmful if not progressed properly or the practitioner doesn't understand what they are doing.
>>
>>35469137
>OP here, in my case i wan't the "athletic" body type so i guess calisthenic is a good choice.
wtf is "athletic" body type? there's nothing about calisthenics that gives you that. there are basically two things you can do: increase the size of the muscle bellies and lower your body fat. the way to increase the size of the muscle bellies is by resistance training, and lifting is by far the best form of resistance training. losing body fat is primarily done through diet. calisthenics doesn't have any special benefits except making you good at calisthenics (which is admittedly cool)
>>
>>35469146
congrats bro
Ive been working for 1 year 3 months 4 times a week, got from skinnyfat to something i like but the recent resolutioner flood made me hate my gym, i wan't something new to do at home, something more "sports like"
>>35469153
you are right, i'll say only body weight isn't the solution, the best is to do both. I have an olympic bar at home and some weights, if i combine calisthenics and this i'll get decent gains i guess
>>
>>35469163
Sorry, I mistyped that. Its much easier to get the isolations with weight training rather than bodyweight training*
>>
>>35469163
>>35469166
>>35469153
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FlwDAZ7SSwY this guy for exemple has the kind of body i'd like to have
Im not stupid, i know he must have done it for years but do you guys think it's only bodyweight and weighted bodyweight ?
>>
>>35469175
>you are right, i'll say only body weight isn't the solution, the best is to do both. I have an olympic bar at home and some weights, if i combine calisthenics and this i'll get decent gains i guess
yeah, doing both is an excellent idea.
>>
>>35469190
I have no idea what that guy has done, but if you want a body like that in a reasonable amount of time you should start lifting and start roiding. even with lifting and a perfect diet I doubt you'll look like him anytime soon (if ever). with only BW training you can pretty much forget about it. it's not going to happen.
>>
>>35469190

Yes I think its possible, as in "is this achievable at all" but it'll be dependent on a lot of factors such as diet and discipline and genetics. He says he has 15 years of experience. he probably has pretty decent genetics, and he's pretty lean. His upper body I think you could conceivably get from advanced calisthenics and bodyweight training, mixed with lower-difficulty skills at higher volume to help hypertrophy. Whether that exact build is possible for you is a different question.

And its entirely possible that he might be on some sort of gear, even mild. but i wouldn't point that finger so quickly.
>>
>>35469190

BWF is fine for upper body development, but you'll need weights if you want to develop a good lower body.

Anyway, better ask calisthenics questions here:
>>>/asp/848098
most people on /fit/ barely know anything about bodyweight fitness.
>>
Question: I only started doing SL a few weeks ago and I'm gonna start doing planche progression after my workouts because planche is sick af senpai. Will this work out for me?
>>
>>35469265
I'd throw it in earlier in your routine. And I'd do a lot more reading into exactly what it takes to start out training for planche. If you do it incorrectly you're setting yourself up for injury, particularly tendon-wise, especially if you do it after pre-fatiguing yourself in SL.

Start with your planche leans, start a steady-state cycle, do it earlier in your routine than at the end unless you go really really slow and are extremely careful. Lots of wrist prep, lots of thoracic mobility and shoulder mobility work, ensure that you have a really solid hollow-body hold and can hold the necessary protraction and pelvic tilt before you go anywhere near tuck planche. get regular form checks in the /asp/ general. We're friendly, and we have some decently knowledgeable practitioners.
>>
You'd see better and faster results from weight training. Video related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx45nUETmIA

The difference is stark.
>>
>>35469265
SL has too much volume for that, imo.

back it down to 3x5

>tfw tried tucked planche for the first time last night and nailed it

i don't even know where to go from there but i was happy i could do that much.
>>
>>35469369
Once you have tuck planche you start to progress towards advanced tuck - where you hold your legs a little further away from your body and begin to lean forward a little more. This is often the really hard part because its so easy to lose your pelvic tilt and your protraction.

Also, if you've nailed it, come and throw up a video on /asp/ bodyweight general if you haven't, be nice to see some more guys doing planche stuff and contributing results.

>>35469333
I agree with you, and I like the way the powerlifter won despite primarily doing bodyweight training myself - I prefer his humility. However by the same token, this wasn't a particularly good demonstration of a comparison. Street workout =/= gymnastic strength training: it features a lot more momentum and dynamic movement to be 'flashy' rather than raw strength training: not hating, just saying. Thus he was really not a good choice as a candidate to represent bodyweight practitioners in a strength-type competition against a powerlifter.

Also, bench is a completely different beast compared to planche and high-tier pushup progressions: same muscles, different demands .
A different athlete or different exercises would have better demonstrated the difference between bodyweight and weighted training.
>>
>>35469333
what a shitty comparison.
of course the powerlifter is better in those excercises, because he trains them daily.
do some calisthenics excercises and he will be destroyed
>>
>>35469299
>>35469369
Thank you anons for your advice <3 May zyzz bless you with a sick year and sicker gainzzz
>>
>>35469461
You too anon! This might help you a little: the guy in the video is crazy good at planche. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH1eR2BGa_E
>>
>>35469025
Bodyweight is as good as weight training. Just pick a harder progression or do weighted.
>>
>>35469054
Not bad phsique
>>
>>35469163
Ottermode
>>
>>35469061
Most people have shit in their house they can use as parallel bars. You can even use some escalators though I find they're sometimes worryingly flimsy and the less flimsy ones can be a bit wide. Still it's good practice.

>>35469072
This. For some body parts I still found them quite good like p much the whole back and esp my delts. But the rate of lean mass gain is poor for sure.

>>35469216
>if you want a body like that in a reasonable amount of time you should start lifting and start roiding
It's the nobody's natty brigade. I like how to sound more reasonable there's like a time limit. Even if your body will never become like that even if you look half as good you will still look very good.

>>35469025
Keep lifting but just lift once or twice a week. Strength gains take a long long time to go away even if you don't bother.

I've been thinking about doing a combined calisthenics and oly lifting routine too. Atm I'm pissing about on a mildly modified Reg Parks while I work out what it is I should do as a proper routine tho.
>>
>>35469252
This is true, nothing beats squats.
>>
>>35469054
Pro gymnasts use roids, weight training and have being doing it for at least half a decade, it is not a valid comparision.
>>
File: ss231233.png (941 KB, 1280x671) Image search: [Google]
ss231233.png
941 KB, 1280x671
Get a pair of rings. People seriously underestimate how much muscle you can build by using rings and leverage. It's fucking ridiculous.

Here's an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytvVoZXCnhc

You can do all kinds of things. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEQA3fAZCfg

Front levers, back levers, iron cross, a fucking handstand.
>>
>>35469025
Imagine them wearing shorts.
Keke
>>
>>35471230
I have olympic rings but nowhere to set them up ;_;. I wish my routine was push o rings legs.
>>
There is this app called "Freeletics" and it is pretty cool for this kind of shit.

I started using it but found out you can find the programms everywhere online so I just check the routines online and search in youtube the excersise explanations.

Pretty cool bro, yesterday I did the Hades training and was fucked but feeling great afterwards.
>>
>>35471230

The gym in the first video looks fucking awesome.
>>
File: tea_of_disapproval.png (84 KB, 250x256) Image search: [Google]
tea_of_disapproval.png
84 KB, 250x256
>>35471521

Freeletics is absolutely shit. It's kept running only by having a huge marketing machine and people not knowing better.

Circuit training. Ridiculously high numbers of reps. Progressions on the exercise barely exist. It's worse than fucking crossfit.

Go shill somewhere else.
>>
>>35471455
If you have trees or football/rugby posts nearby you can set them up p easily most of the time. I hang them up from the loft hatch.
>>
>>35470450
>>35469252
Dunno, this guy has pretty thick legs thanks to bw training

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qxx40ieV6M
>>
>>35471701
Theres thousands of videos of people doing excercise on the streets and parks thanks to that app. That is what the OP wants, so I think he should try.

And of course there is progression, the thing is that if you do the 15 weeks challenge, you start fucking hard and should be a bit prepared for that or you will literally die.
>>
>>35469025
What gains Anon? Your squat gains? Then keep squatting with a barbell while you do calisthenics on the side.

Why does everyone make this into which is better? Do both!
>>
>>35469025
Calisthenics work give it a try.
>>
>>35472505

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply you'll have chicken legs with bodyweight exercise, you can absolutely get decent legs. But leg muscles are very powerful and so they need a lot of more load than upper body, past a certain point it's just more reasonable to add weight. One might not need to progress past that point though.

>>35472647

No, OP wants to retain or build muscle. Circuit training with high rep ranges is exactly the opposite of what he needs. It might be pretty good at building endurance, but definitely not muscle.

And calisthenics in public places has been a thing since ancient times, so I'll remain sceptic that it is "thanks to that app" that there are people doing it.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.