[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
running in winter
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 1450867732512.jpg (53 KB, 1280x1707) Image search: [Google]
1450867732512.jpg
53 KB, 1280x1707
What gear should i get to maximize performance when running in winter? Chicago bro here and it's hard to find a balance between something that lets your skin breath and something that keeps you warm. Is under Armour the best option?
>>
I live in Anchorage and I'm stuck on a treadmill. I want to get outside, so I'm monitoring this post.
>>
>>35451809
I saw a girl running in the park last week, it was about 15 degrees F outside. I stopped her and pulled off her clothes to see what kind of base layer she was wearing. Now I'm in jail.
>>
>>35451875
I still run outside but my knows is constantly dripping boogers and my runs last about an hour so my dick starts to get numb.
>>
Under Armour is intro-level stuff. It's going to wick moisture well, and it can insulate okay, but for the money I'd spend a little more and buy Smartwool. It insulates better for the weight, continues to insulate if it gets wet because of how wool fibers trap heat, it's naturally antimocrobial so you can wear it a few times without washing it and not stink, and it's merino so very soft against the skin.
>>
bike messenger here, heading into 3rd winter. Keep your core underdressed and your extremities overdressed, personally I wear goggles for visibility (snow) along with a winter helmet. Find eye/head(including face) wear that works for you. We're talking enjoyment down to 30 below, celcius.
>>
>>35451938

Also, learn to layer. There are lots of guides on the internet, just google "layering for running." Experiment. If you do it right you'll be uncomfortably cold for the first few minutes then good once you warm up. You shouldn't be warm and toasty the whole time.
>>
>>35451938
Can you name any brands or post any links to stores that sell this stuff?
>>
>>35451964

Also, vaseline on exposed face skin helps a LOT in very cold or windy weather.
>>
>>35451875

Anchorage bro what's up
>>
>>35451966

Smartwool is a brand. You can buy it, or other merino wool gear, at a running specialty store, or online.
>>
You don't need much. Some set of technical underwear like Craft and something light clothing on the top of it.
>>
>>35451975
Those are not recommended in cold conditions.
>>
>>35451993
dat not being able to afford alaska club ;w;
>>
>>35451875
Alaska is not even that bad because the cities are close to the ocean, which makes the temperature more stable because large bodies of water are thermal reservoirs. Dallas has colder winters than Anchorage some years.
>>
>>35452191
http://www.businessinsider.com/bomb-cyclone-crazy-weather-november-2014-11
http://www.weather.com/storms/winter/news/alaska-compare-east-winter
>>
>>35452086

As a resident of Buffalo, NY, and a year round runner, I can tell you 100% that anyone with a problem with vaseline for the face has no experience. I run down to -20 not including windchill and Vaseline is Basedline.
>>
>>35451993
Have you seen the dudelikehella guy around?
>>
>>35451809
i hope thats a girl
>>
File: 1449466810649.jpg (80 KB, 300x354) Image search: [Google]
1449466810649.jpg
80 KB, 300x354
>>35452671
This entire website made me double check all fap material in case it involves traps/futa.
>>
>>35451966
Smartwool
I/O Merino
Icebreaker

Use layers. Wool isn't as sturdy though as other materials. This sounds stupid but don't actually need to wash it often though, which I would recommend to prolong its longevity.

But that said, mernio wool is the most top-tier thing you can wear, for any kind of exersizing.

I'm more a fan of the icebreaker one, they got some good stuff in the active wear area.
>>
>>35452697
why ?
>>
>>35452671
Same here. Came so fucking hard I'll feel it well into 2017.
>>
Ayy, Chicagoan here too. I run for Track and Cross Country for my high school. My coach told us this before the snow started hitting.

"Cold Weather- Outside practice is cancelled when it is below 10 degrees Fahrenheit or when there is a wind chill below 0. As long as travelling conditions are not affected, practice is usually held indoors (stair workouts etc.) Above those temperatures athletes are permitted to run outside as long as they are properly equipped. Any athlete choosing not to go outside is expected to do a comparable workout on a treadmill/bike/elliptical. Some athletes are more sensitive to cold than others and should speak with the coaches if weather is a concern.

The most important gear for cold weather are hats and gloves. Runners lose far more heat through the head and hands than they do in shins and forearms. On very cold days sweatshirts and running pants are also recommended."
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.