[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cheating in the Bent-over Row
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: download.jpg (102 KB, 584x368) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
102 KB, 584x368
So it's really common to see that when people do rows from the floor, they start "cheating" by extending the hips, dipping their chest into the barbell, etc., especially when the weight gets heavy. I don't think I've ever seen a person row more than 3pl8 without doing this.

My question is: how much cheating should be allowed when rowing from the floor? Is it necessary in order to pull really heavy weight, or are people stupid for doing it?
>>
>>35441111
Doesn't matter baka desu senpai
>>
>>35441111
i never understood the difference between this one and the pendlay row
>>
>>35441111
Cheat a little, add weight over time, get stronger. Just don't go full retard and injure yourself. Perfect firm isn't useful; good enough form to prevent injury, perform the movement efficiently, and target the correct muscles is. Don't be stuck rowing 135 for years because you were scared to let your back angle change a few degrees on your final reps.
>>
>>35441374
Pendlay row is just a name given to an explosive row from the floor. It's basically the same as what Arnold's doing in pic related.

>>35441376
Solid advice, I just wonder what the fine line is between cheating a little and cheating too much. This guy, for example...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDLiCYEcqsE
>>
File: 1445386305599.jpg (151 KB, 806x605) Image search: [Google]
1445386305599.jpg
151 KB, 806x605
>>35441374

Pendlay row = barbell row

Bent-over barbell row = you incline your torso instead of being at parallel, and you don't start from the ground

Think of it like the Deadlift and the Romanian Deadlift.

>>35441111

No cheating allowed. Jk you can cheat, no one cares, but a good way to keep proper parallel form is to lower the amount of reps.
Or just do the bent-over row instead, since you don't have to worry about "cheating" that one.
>>
>>35441592

There's no "fine line" when it comes to cheating the row. If you cheat it a lot, it just becomes a bent-over row (like the one the dude in your vid is doing), but that doesn't matter at all. You are not "losing" anything for cheating the row, as you would with cheating the biceps curl.

When it comes to the muscles it builds it makes virtually zero difference, except the "cheating" one will also work your hip extensors and help you lift heavier.
>>
Slam the barbell into your sternum and retract your shoulders.

thats all you really need to worry about
>>
>>35441671

>sternum

Your sternum must be pretty low down your belly dude.
>>
>>35441690
i meant what i said, fuckass
>>
>>35441813

What's a fuckass?
>>
>>35441111
Why do this when DB rows are a thing? Sure it helps with core more then DB variant but seems murder on the back to the newbies.
>>
>>35441987
>why add variety
Do you want to make it
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.