[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
5/3/1
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: Question Mark.png (2 KB, 258x258) Image search: [Google]
Question Mark.png
2 KB, 258x258
How the fuck does 5/3/1 actually work?

I have a lot of doubts that the volume is sufficient for the amount of weights that you're supposed to do (%RM).

Background: Intermediate lifter here, i weigh 70kg and bench 85kg. I usually train 4 sets of 8 with 80kg.

The program is telling me to train 3 sets of 1+ on 80kg (on the third week). What the fuck is that horseshit?

So you're telling me that 3 sets of 1 on 80kg is BETTER than training 4 sets of 8 on 80kg? Pls science me on this shit.
>>
>>35429824
b u m p
>>
>>35429824

Have you actually read the damn program? Because your questions suggests you have no idea what it wants you to do.
>>
File: 6.jpg (46 KB, 576x492) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
46 KB, 576x492
>>35429824
1. Buy the fucking book
2. Read the fucking book
3. Lift what the fucking book tells you to
4. Get fucking stronger & bigger
>>
>>35430319
online PDF, tl;dr? I just really want a routine I can follow that gives me results
>>
>choose exercise + starting weight
>3x5 three times a week
>add 5 pounds each time
When you can't do 3x5 anymore, drop to 3x3, keep adding weight
When you can't do 3x3 anymore, do 3x1, keep adding weight

Become the powerlifter, anon
>>
>>35430319
>pic
not true
for beginner lifters who don't yet have this developed muscle memory, just by vividly imagining an exercise, your brain improves its motor function for that exercise and you actually do become stronger. The gains aren't even marginal, they're something like a third of what actual lifting is if I recal correctly. The problem is that it has a cap, once you get that muscle memory up to par it stops making a difference
>>
>>35432278
Can I report this post as stupidity?
>>
>>35432278
>being this stupid
>>
>>35429824
http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/531-how-to-build-pure-strength

get jacked like me
>>
>>35429824

>I have a lot of doubts that the volume is sufficient for the amount of weights that you're supposed to do (%RM).

>Getting good at the core lifts will have a huge carryover into everything else. Start light, progress slowly, and leave out the ego in order to bust PRs

either you want to do 5/3/1 or you don't
also beside main lifts there are accessories

also, do someone have the second edition book?
I've found in a google drive link here the first and beyond edition..but since beyond it's too advanced to my nevergonnamakeit mode I'd like to stick to the basic
>>
other quotes from the article:

>Just so we're clear, either people want to do 5/3/1 or they don't. I really want to help people, but if they won't take my advice there's nothing I can do. That's fine by me. I don't fight the battles. I just don't fucking care.

>While it may seem counterintuitive to take weight off the bar when the goal is to add weight to it, starting lighter allows you more room to progress forward. This is a very hard pill to swallow for most lifters. They want to start heavy and they want to start now.

This is nothing more than ego, and nothing will destroy a lifter faster, or for longer, than ego.
>>
The first 2 sets are damn light DESU. I almost just use them as my Warmups. The final set though is all out, and realize it's an AMRAP set.

Also realize, the 5/3/1 sets aren't for volume. Do boring but big or ANY proper accessory program, and that's where the volume is.

E.g. BBB you do the accesories as one of the main lifts for 5x10 (or a variant) and then another accessory. So let's see what it would look like with variants. Also, you can switch which days you do them for more frequency/variety.

Lower 1:
Squat 5/3/1
Romanian Deadlift 5x10
Leg Press 5x10

Upper 1:
Bench Press 5/3/1
DB Shoulder Press 5x10
Rows 5x10

Lower 2:
Deadlift 5/3/1
Front Squat 5x10 (maybe 5x5 or something would be better for these, I chose RDL because 5x10 deadlifts is torture)
RDL 5x10

Upper 2:
Press 5/3/1
DB Incline Bench 5x10
Pulldown/Chinup/Pullup 5x10

Just an example, possibilities are endless. There's a lot of excercise variety, a ton of volume (add up total reps per muscle group. . yeah) and the workouts are relatively short. You can surely do more too. E. g. Calf and ab work, whatever. You don't even have to do 5x10 (but that's wendler's go to for accesories.. some accesories I wouldn't reccomend it like front squats, I myself do 5x5 ramped sets for front squats, so I work up to one max set).

My point: the volume is in the accesories.

Another point: You don't neccesarily need bodybuilding tier volume to get strong.
>>
531 sucks. No block periodization (I guess the smart word for it would be phase potentation), Only one heavy amrap set that fucks up the remaining workout, but too little volume with heavy sets to improve strength. It's neither perfect for strength nor for hypertrhophy.
>>
5/3/1 is only useful for advanced lifters. The progression is too slow for anyone else.
>>
>>35429824
5/3/1 lifter here. Just three tips for you:
First, you're an arogant cunt. Stop being an arogant cunt and learn patience.
Second, read his fucking e-book 5/3/1 beyond. This one is a better version of the first and second books.
And finally, search for jocker sets, first last sets and assistence lifts templates, so you will understand how this routine can be really insane.
>>
>>35429824
You clearly haven't read the program.
You are still too weak for it to be of any use.
Back to SS with you.
>>
>>35435025
>implying you're not progressing by pumping out more reps at heavier weights each workout
>implying you can't just add more weight to your 1RM if you're progressing fast enough
>>35435000
well that's just like.. your experience, man..
also
>falling for memes
>>
>>35435093
3 or 4 months of experience (with joker sets and everything) + Scientific Principles of Strength Training & Juggernaut_Training_A_Thoughtful_Pursuit_Of_Strength on how to make a powerlifting program. The only good thing on 5/3/1 is that you can run it really long if you started low, but there are better ways to improve both strength and hypertrophy.

>falling for memes
That's true sadly, I did SS, Texas and 5/3/1, 2 years lifting on meme programs
>>
>>35435166
block periodization is only relevant if you're training for an event

>implying anybody on /fit/ actually competes
>>
>>35435187
In theory it should still be more efficient than training everything on the same time. If you don't compete, just don't use peaking blocks if you don't feel like it, just alternate strength and hypertrophy (or some endurance stuff).
>>
>>35435166

And what were your stats at the end, just out of interest?
>>
>>35435232
why not train both.. the fuck??
>>
>>35435289
squat: 165kg
bench: 110kg
dl: 180 kg
ohp: 75kg
Not sure with how much I started, wxr sucks for searching in the past, maybe 20kg less on the lower and 10kg on the upper body lifts
>>
>>35435383
Phase potentation, low reps on compounds high reps on assistance is a meme, read a book
>>
>>35435409
there's a million ways to approach things

you can train strength and hypertrophy at the same time, however.

cycling hypertrophy cycles with low rep strength cycles (with some hypertrophy work for maintenence) is a good approach.

why do you have to act as if the approach that you like and works for you is the only one though you myopic piece of shit?

I never claimed "low reps compounds high reps assistance" (>implying assistance excercises cant be compounds) was how you should approach things, wtf are you on about with your vague responses that mean nothing and then you claim I'm the idiot. fucknyou
>>
>>35435000
>what are joker sets and first set last

read the book, nigger
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.