[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Correlation between athleticism and higher IQ
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6
The meathead stereotype and unfit nerd are just a jew created meme. Fit people are more than likely to have a higher IQ and unfit people are more likely to have a lower IQ. Attractiveness also correlated with a higher IQ. Someone that's athletic and attractive is more often than not above average intelligence. Life isn't like some DND system where you have a set pool of attributes with limited distribution. If you're fit and attractive you're also likely to have a higher IQ.

Fitness and IQ
http://www.ironmanmag.com.au/training/training-tips/169-exercising-intelligence-how-research-shows-a-link-between-physical-activity-and-smarts

Attractiveness and IQ
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/201012/beautiful-people-really-are-more-intelligent

Higher IQ are also found to be more competitive
http://sengifted.org/archives/articles/the-impact-of-giftedness-on-psychological-well-being

Height also correlates with a higher IQ
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Height_and_intelligence

Income correlates with a higher IQ with the 10th percentile being the highest earners
http://www.businessinsider.com/facts-you-dont-want-to-know-iq-2011-11

Competitive sports participation also correlates with a higher IQ
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150511125318.htm

Life isn't fair. People more often than not have the whole package or parts of it. Most of the men in my sports program are also in STEM and have no problem with keep up with playing and training schedules and classes.
>>
>>35421103
Meh, I got tested a few times in my life (no, not internet tests) and scored between 140-145. But I'm a semi-aspie loser who did fuck all at school and got bullied into introversion, so I always sucked at sports and team activities in general and had zero confidence. I'm pretty good at solving problems and logic, but without any creative drive, ambition, confidence and social skills high iq is only good for drunk debating smug idiots, mental masturbation and over thinking stuff.
>>
>>35421103
nice sources
>>
>>35422167
>high iq is only good for drunk debating smug idiots, mental masturbation and over thinking stuff.
You really disproved all that research and statistics that OP posted. Well done !

Why is it that whenever IQ comes up, some retarded fuck with an 140+ IQ comes and tells us what a loser he is and that IQ doesn't matter?
>>
>>35422280
> Why is it that whenever IQ comes up, some retarded fuck with an 140+ IQ comes and tells us what a loser he is and that IQ doesn't matter?
Its become a meme at this point
>>
the saddest thing that even if all that research is 100% spot on, it will never reach acceptance in the scientific community because the mainstream population would tear it to shreds out of congitive dissonance.

People would be ashamed of themselves even more if their slovenly body was also a representation of their intelligence. Of course, everyone assumes it is anyway, but people will bring you down if you dare to speak it aloud.
>>
>>35421103

Yes it's because IQ measures how good your formal education is and being successful at school is a direct consequence of having strict parents and being an antisocial beta. Later in life we try to cure that by lifting, ergo this study
>>
>>35422318
>Yes it's because IQ measures how good your formal education is
This one is still in denial
>>
>>35422280
Because you fuckwits only see the positives ;^)
>>
>>35422351
Don't know what you are talking about. Your IQ first and foremost biological, there is little anyone can do to increase it, but lots people can do to reduce it. Neglect, starvation and so on.

You being an anti social beta is not because of your high intelligence, its because you are an anti social beta. The smartest people in my class who did the best did no more effort or time on school work, they where just better at it, they learned and mastered pretty much everything better then others, giving them more free time.
>>
File: 1449912569947.jpg (23 KB, 309x270) Image search: [Google]
1449912569947.jpg
23 KB, 309x270
>exercised all the time back in the day
>have had injuries for years that have kept me out of shape, probably always will
>see this

I'm /fit/ in my mind.
>>
>>35422280
It's not that it doesn't completely matter. Obviously a person with higher iq will be more successful than a person with lower iq, given their other qualities are equal. But iq is just the ability to recognize patterns and solve logical problems. You learn faster and stuff comes easier, but you can still be lazy, lack ambition, or suffer from personality disorders that fuck you up far more than being average.

>>35422372
High intelligence is not the cause of being a loser. Other factors are just far more important, especially when you think about financial success.
>>
>>35422434
Of course high intelligence does not make you immune against character faults, moot point.

> Other factors are just far more important, especially when you think about financial success.
No they aren't thats horseshit.
>>
>>35422314
There's always exceptions to the rule. If you see someone that's tall, attractive, fit and has a lot of money odds are they are on the upper end of the bell curve. If you see someone that's scrawny/fat, manlet, ugly and poor odds are they are on the lower end of the bell curve.
>>
>>35422372
>implying IQ and EQ are not inversely correlated
>>
File: 1451101331532.jpg (39 KB, 457x494) Image search: [Google]
1451101331532.jpg
39 KB, 457x494
I'm sceptical. The fact that Tyrone lifts doesn't change the fact he's a whole standard deviation lower in IQ than the average white.
>>
>>35422452
>No they aren't thats horseshit.
Are you trying to justify your lack of financial success with your average iq? There is plenty of rich people that aren't very smart. Drive and persistence is what makes you rich. You could probably be even richer if you add being smart to that, but it's not really a requirement.
>>
>>35422489
They aren't, there is nothing that says or gives indication to that. But the whole nerd myth thing supports it probably.
Also
>implying that EQ has any merit in the scientific community
Its bogus, poorly defined, and not even measurable in a good way

>>35422517
The two biggest predicator of financial success is intelligence and conscientiousness (drive, ambition, diligence, will power orderliness and so on) in that order. And i don't rank any good in either. fml ;_;
>>
>>35422542
>nothing
>just half a century's worth of widespread empirical evidence
>>
I hate l of you
>>
>>35422490
Half of those studies were done in Sweden where it's highly unlikely to encounter a Tyrone. The fitness one that correlates with IQ in particular was done in Sweden.
>>
>>35422563
There is no emprirical evidence that shows that IQ and EQ are inversely correlated. If there is then show me.

From OP's link
"Some studies found the gifted to be advanced in their social adjustment and development, and other studies observed certain subgroups of gifted students to have more difficulties socially. Hence, empirical research indicates that the gifted are a diverse group when it comes to social competence. As the following studies illustrate, whether gifted students have the social skills necessary to cope with the demands in their lives appears to depend on additional factors such as their specific domain of talent, their degree of giftedness, and their self-perceptions or other personal characteristics."

"Barnett and Fiscella (1985) compared 15 intellectually (IQ >130) gifted preschool children with 20 average intelligence children on dimensions of play behavior. They found that the gifted sample exhibited significantly more prosocial behavior. The gifted children interacted more cooperatively and demonstrated more sharing of playthings than did the average children. In this study gifted children demonstrated advanced social skills."

So we see that yeah some of the had troubles socially, where as others did better socially. However, this says nothing about Emotional Quotient and if you look at the research thats done on EQ and the critics of it, as a concept it does not hold up that very good. Its not exactly clear what that is or how it works, its vague, and probably invented by a leftist fucksmuck to make people feel better for not being equal
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emotional_intelligence#Criticisms_of_theoretical_foundation
>>
>>35422280
how about you dont rip parts of his post out of context and then insult him for the twisted meanings you derive from that?

what he said:
>I'm pretty good at solving problems and logic, but without any creative drive, ambition, confidence and social skills high iq is only good for drunk debating smug idiots, mental masturbation and over thinking stuff.

what you derived from that
>lololo iq dont matter

learn some reading comprehension you moron
>>
>>35422489
>EQ
if you think EQ has any merit to it then you might as well believe in homeopathy
>>
>>35422661
I looked up EQ
>The term gained prominence in the 1995 book by that title, written by the author, psychologist, and science journalist Daniel Goleman
>Goleman
>check Goleman's Wikipedia article
>Spouse Tara Bennett-Goleman
That's all that really needs to be said about EQ
>>
>>35422674
>high iq is only good for drunk debating smug idiots, mental masturbation and over thinking stuff.
>high IQ is ONLY good for....

What he did
>Downplay the importance of IQ

what i did
>Point out how there is always that tard with a ridiculously high IQ that downplays it

what you did
>twisting what i said, then saying that i twisted what he said. But you actually didn't comprehend what the fuck you where reading

Try again you fucking retard.
>>
>>35422718
Not him, but

>WITHOUT ANY CREATIVE DRIVE, AMBITION, CONFIDENCE AND SOCIAL SKILLS high iq is only good for

are you stupid or intentionally trying to twist the meaning of the whole sentence?
>>
>>35422542
>The two biggest predicator of financial success is intelligence and conscientiousness (drive, ambition, diligence, will power orderliness and so on) in that order.

Got any source for that? Because my experience and most of the stuff I read on the subject show otherwise.

Think about it- very few fields actually require you to be really smart. And entrepreneurial activities don't really involve solving complex logical problems and abstract thinking.
>>
>>35422718
nigger are you seriously this fucking dumb

>without any creative drive, ambition, confidence and social skills, high iq is only good for drunk debating smug idiots, mental masturbation and over thinking stuff.

aka "if the rest of your personality is shit then high IQ wont do you any good either"
absolutely nothing to do with what you're trying to argue
>>
>>35422763
>very few fields actually require you to be really smart
Some do. Intelligent people filter into those fields and there's only a limited number of intelligent people hence very few fields is it a requirement to be really smart.
>entrepreneurial activities don't really involve solving complex logical problems and abstract thinking.
Yes they do if you want to be successful. Something like 85% of entrepreneurs fail. There's a natural filter there that weeds out the less capable.
>>
>>35422763
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligence_quotient#Social_correlations

feel free to dig through the hundreds of sources linked there if you like

also, intelligence isn't limited to complex logical problems and abstract thinking. that's just the most handy way we have to measure it.
general intelligence affects pretty much every decision-making process we ever engage in. it's about how intuitively and quickly you can figure things out.
>>
>>35422799
>Yes they do if you want to be successful. Something like 85% of entrepreneurs fail. There's a natural filter there that weeds out the less capable.
And why do you automatically assume it's the intelligence they are lacking?

>Some do. Intelligent people filter into those fields and there's only a limited number of intelligent people hence very few fields is it a requirement to be really smart.
What are you even trying to say here?
>>
>>35422745
No, just a little bit retarded. My bad. But even with that, there is more to IQ that might not be noticeable in everyday life. Dumb example but just walking trough a new city and taking in information from the environment and making a mental model of the city and picking up details and remembering. Stuff like that

>>35422763
I have to get to my work out, I'll answer later.

>>35422779
To be autistically nitpicking, YES it will do you some good even then, despite all that. But like i said, intelligence does not make you immune to character flaws.

> nothing to do with what you're trying to argue
What am i even arguing? That IQ is one of the most important predictors of life outcome and its probably more important then people like to realize. Don't know what you think i am arguing, i am not arguing that its ALL, but that its IMPORTANT and that it matters.
>>
>>35422833
>And why do you automatically assume it's the intelligence they are lacking?
Entrepreneurship is a long term exercise in problem solving and abstract thinking. These aren't simple problems either and they're problems that are solved underd pressure and great risk.
>What are you even trying to say here?
I'm saying there are certain fields that have a very high barrier of entry many of which are impossible for most people.
>>
File: srs.jpg (216 KB, 1692x315) Image search: [Google]
srs.jpg
216 KB, 1692x315
>>35422825
Seriously lad? Did you even read it?
>>
>>35422490
the study was done on humans not apes
>>
>>35421103
High emotional intelligence > IQ in social and professional settings. Being able to relate to or understand others' feelings is wayyyy more important than having low EI / high IQ.

You faggots wonder why you can't get your dick wet or make friends. Don't even get me started with the people on this board with autism. Fuck, haha
>>
>>35422929
Faggot
>>
>>35422865
>Entrepreneurship is a long term exercise in problem solving and abstract thinking. These aren't simple problems either
Some knowledge is required but they aren't really very complicated either. And when you get big enough that they become complicated you usually hire people smarter than yourself to solve them for you.

>under pressure and great risk.
Not iq related.

>I'm saying there are certain fields that have a very high barrier of entry many of which are impossible for most people.

Yeah, and the point is? Those fields are very few. I can't think of many that would require an iq higher than 120, aside from maybe math and physics.
>>
File: iq_bell_curve.gif (8 KB, 591x303) Image search: [Google]
iq_bell_curve.gif
8 KB, 591x303
>>35422941
>Some knowledge is required but they aren't really very complicated either. And when you get big enough that they become complicated you usually hire people smarter than yourself to solve them for you.
Instead of going back and forth on this same point why don't you tell me what factors contribute to entrepreneurial success if not intelligence?
>Yeah, and the point is? Those fields are very few. I can't think of many that would require an iq higher than 120, aside from maybe math and physics.
Are you aware of the bell curve in IQ? The population with an IQ greater than 115 is not very high. There is a limited pool of candidates which in turn means a limited number of people working in the fields that require a high degree of intelligence.
>>
You know that you've hit the bottom when you're discussing wikipedia articles about IQ on a /fit/ Taiwanese Origami imageboard in the year 2016 minus 48 hrs

Probably none of you have access to uni databases and you're underage, or you'd have discussed about neuroplasticity at least, or about one of those studies on the white/black score gap - no, only linkbait articles, anecdotes and some teeny projection of an Übermensch

Read a book sometimes

(sage in all fields)
>>
>>35422998
You make a post about projection then immediately go on to project yourself instead of facing the facts.
>>
>>35422779
IQ will still help you even if you're a fuckup. It makes things easier no matter what.

Say if we're talking about financial success. Two of the main determining factors are conscientousness and IQ (let's just assume that the socio-economic level of parents etc doesn't matter). The function of financial success contains the two variables, conscientousness and IQ and are positive. Therefore saying "IQ doesn't matter at all if you're a lazy shit" isn't true because you still have the positive value that IQ adds to financial success, even if your conscientousness value is really low.
Just to illustrate, it might look something like this: Income = Conscientousness + IQ^2

You don't even have to understand this is an a mathematical sense, but it astounds me how some many people on /fit/ don't understand how this works on an intuitive level.
>>
>>35422986
>There is a limited pool of candidates which in turn means a limited number of people working in the fields that require a high degree of intelligence.

And what's your point here? Because mine was that very few things in this world require you to be really smart.

>The population with an IQ greater than 115 is not very high.

3 people out of 20, 4-5 kids in average class doesn't sound incredibly rare to me.

>Instead of going back and forth on this same point why don't you tell me what factors contribute to entrepreneurial success if not intelligence?

Conscientiousness, confidence, willingness to take risks, social skills
>>
>>35422998
You may think you're very intelligent but you 'discuss' something, you don't 'discuss about' something, you fucking half-wit.
>>
>>35423109
>Conscientiousness, confidence, willingness to take risks, social skills
And not intelligence? At all? Do you think someone that's mentally deficient can start and successfully run a business? If you simply remove the mentally deficient as in below 80 IQ from successful entrepreneurship the mean of entrepreneurs will adjust to one standard deviation above the average. Entrepreneurs will be weighted to the higher end of the bell curve from just that alone. And that's not even touching the issue of above average intelligence people being more likely to be successful in business.
>3 people out of 20, 4-5 kids in average class doesn't sound incredibly rare to me.
There's other barriers than just IQ.
>>
>>35423109
>Instead of going back and forth on this same point why don't you tell me what factors contribute to entrepreneurial success if not intelligence?
>Conscientiousness, confidence, willingness to take risks, social skills

Yeah, >>35423213, said it. You're retarded if you think IQ has no influence on what career you take, or whether an entrepreneur becomes successful. Why do you think that the aggregate GDP of companies founded by MIT alumni would be the 11th biggest economy worldwide? Do you think your local state university would be the same?
>>
File: 1450736056427.jpg (95 KB, 486x658) Image search: [Google]
1450736056427.jpg
95 KB, 486x658
>>35422939
Fite me irl manlet
>>
>>35421103
Yeah, it's a common misconception that the ugly aspies are usually very intelligent.

I'm a physics grad student, and always assumed that the turbo autists in the lectures are also super smart, but it's really the other way around. Turns out, the ugly aspies are usually below average, often interested, but not talented. The fit, well-groomed and often handsome guys are those that the most attention from professors in the end. They are also the best to work with, as they are usually more disciplined, more predictable and more engaging then the freaks.
>>
>>35423260
>>35423213

Jesus, lads. I never said it's not important at all. I just dare to say other factors are more important. I'm basically saying that if you are in the 105-115 range you are capable of succeeding financially. Anything more will obviously help, but is not a requirement.
What good is a kid with a 160 iq score, when he's too disorganized to finish any project he starts and his crippling social anxiety makes him avoid any human interactions?
>>
>>35423332
You feel like a big guy now?
>>
>>35423341
>I just dare to say other factors are more important
Conscientiousness is probably more important than intelligence. I can say IQ does have greatly diminishing returns at the highest end of the bell curve.
>I'm basically saying that if you are in the 105-115 range you are capable of succeeding financially
I don't see any reason why someone in the 105-115 IQ range couldn't be financially successful.
>What good is a kid with a 160 iq score, when he's too disorganized to finish any project he starts and his crippling social anxiety makes him avoid any human interactions?
That kid is no good for anything. No one is saying every intelligent person is going to be successful.

I'm glad we can agree now that there is a correlation with IQ and entrepreneurial success.
>>
>>35423442
>Conscientiousness is probably more important than intelligence.

All I was trying to say all that time. (Very) high intelligence is not a requirement for success and is somewhat overrated in this bread.
Of course it IS going to give anyone a boost in most activities and speed up learning.

Glad we can finally kiss each other.
>>
>>35423488
I just pressed the issue because I thought you'd say success is all luck. It really irks me when people comment that I'm lucky when the people that make that kind of comment don't save their money and are lazy and unwilling to put effort into bettering themselves.
>>
Regardless, if you are fat, losing weight will improve literally every aspect of your life, including mental abilities. No matter what IQ you're born with, being fat will hinder your brain's ability to function to some degree.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.