[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Body fat % measurement
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3
File: 41zH94zSuwL.jpg (17 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
41zH94zSuwL.jpg
17 KB, 500x322
Hey /fit/, I got a withings smart analyzer (pic related) for christmas, and it's giving me a bs body fat percentage reading of 13.5%, where I am closer to 20% in my opinion, measured it with a professional body fat scale at a gym like two months back and have been bulking since then... anybody have any experience with these scales? Just wanna know if it's a bullshit device and if I can return it.
>>
Bumping for interest
>>
some are shit while others are fucking on point. post a pic of yourself so we can judge
>>
>>35401652
They use body impendance analysis which is very inaccurate.
>>
Consider it bullshit. However, it is a great scale - I've got the version without bf measurement - and the WiFi connectivity is really handy if you weigh yourself every day.
>>
File: resitancebf.png (87 KB, 1000x800) Image search: [Google]
resitancebf.png
87 KB, 1000x800
>>35401652
It's basically bullshit. I tell you how these are made:

They take a sample, say 50 men and 50 women. They measure their body fat with reliable methods. Then they measure the resistance with their scale. After that they have data points (body fat, resistance), the red dots in pic related. As you can see both these things seem to be correlated. To use that relationship, a regression is calculated and programmed into the scale to calculate your body fat. But of course, this doesn't always work. It just gives you a very vague estimation that heavily depends on your fat distribution, your gender etc etc.

Of course you usually have to put in more data like your weight, height, gender, age, which is considered as well in the real regression. But this gives you an idea how it's usually done. It's an interesting method that applies to many other problems, but it's really shitty.
>>
>>35401652
My weight scale shows me at 15% bf. Navy measure method is 11 - 12%
>>
>>35401652
It's good to measure change, but not too give an accurate bf%
>>
>>35402043
>Navy measure method is
Shit
>>
>>35402043
Are you fucking retarded?
The Navy method is made so people will pass.
What are you? Straight out of boot camp?
>>
File: 1451330476501232445127.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
1451330476501232445127.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Not op but I've done the same thing. It read me as 13 where I'm more of the 17-20 range. Bf% 6'1 215lbs?
>>
>>35402845
DYEL% body fat
>>
>>35402043
it's inaccurate because the fatty E7's and YN's pull favors under the table to pass at the minimum
>>
>>35402873
K thx that's more accurate
>>
>>35402007
You're right but also you're missing a huge point. While the exact BF% number that the scale gives you might have a significant margin of error, it will reliably and consistently tell you day to day whether you have lost or gained bodyfat, which is important if you're on a cut.
>>
>>35402700
I just used the easiest method I could find because I was sure 15% was wrong. I'm not even US. Internet told me Navy method is pretty accurate. Guess your military is shit then if you let fatties pass.
>>
>>35403124
yea, our military is totally shit. That's why everyone ask us for help.
>>
>>35403154
>yea, our military is totally shit.
Your superiority only comes from technology which you're spending a shit ton of money on. Your actual military is shit. Of course you will deny this.

>That's why everyone ask us for help
No one asks you for help. In fact most of your military interactions are a violation of international laws. No one dares to say something against it though.
>>
So how does one actually go about measuring their body fat?
>>
>>35403196
>No one dares to say something against it though.
Because our military is great. Fuck off faggot.
>>
>>35403273
More like because you dominate the world economy. But keep believing what you want delusioned partriot
>>
>>35403341
>More like because you dominate the world economy.
Because our military is great.
>>
>>35402970
N E tiem <3 u bb
>>
notoriously inaccurate, but still useful in my opinion

the only reason we measure ourselves at all is because we want to see progress - we dont actually give a shit what the numbers say, those are arbitrary

measuring bf% is therefore a nice motivating tool when you're on a cut. just try and use it as uniformly as possible

e.g. i use it when i wake up after my morning piss and dump, and not having eaten anything. i drink a small cup of black coffee in the morning to help get out the turd, and to satiate hunger because I dont eat until 2pm (IF Master Race)
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.