[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do you guys say crunches and ab work won't give you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10
File: 1451136694267.jpg (387 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
1451136694267.jpg
387 KB, 1000x1000
Why do you guys say crunches and ab work won't give you abs?
Sure, most of it is body fat, but if you don't do curls and have low body fat you're not going to get swole biceps.
Why does /fit/ shit on exercises for abs?
>>
>>35395686
Because squats and deadlift is better
>>
Ab wheel is the god of all ab exercises
>>
>>35395686
almost any ab exercise will give you abs -- you just need to do it a lot

indirect methods: cardio sprints, cardio hills, playing sports, maybe deadlift, etc. are great because you get a lot of time under tension.

30 seconds of ab wheel isn't gonna do shit
>>
>>35395697
how can you squat and deadlift with a weak core? form will be so bad, no?
>>
>>35395686
Curls are not necessary for swole biceps, crunches not necessary for ripped abs.

If you want to do ab work maybe try weighted hanging knee raises.
>>
Abs are all about having low-body fat , pretty much everyone who is lean has abs that general public will find satisfying to look at without specifically isolating it .

I think from pure analytical perspective working out your abs alone is the worst invesntment of your time excercise wise
>>
>>35395714
actually if you cycle your calves grow like fuck
mine do anyway
>>
>>35395714
>>35395739

only 2 good answers in this thread and pretty much cover all you need to know OP

gL
>>
>>35395720
Do you even actually lift? Squats, DL, and a proper diet is literally all you need to build core, and if your form is bad that means your lifting more than you can handle.
>>
>>35395714
>>35395739
I see this idea posted all the time on /fit/, but it still hasn't convinced me to completely cut out ab exercises from my routine, it is tempting though. Can someone that doesn't do ANY ab exercises and has a low bf% post a picture of their abs?
>>
>>35395880
Damn you serious? No ab exercises? What's your bf%? Wouldn't strong abs be visible with a higher bf%?
>>
File: IMG_0182.jpg (66 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0182.jpg
66 KB, 480x640
I understand diet makes abs but I still do ab rollers and planks just because it feels like it helps.
>>
>>35395880
What's your routine? Just compounds?
>>
>>35395828
Yeah but the PT guy during my fitness assess said I shouldn't even do squat or DR until my core and posture issues are resolved. They're to complex of a movement for a beginner.

Sorry to be pol,but am I falling for the pt joo?
>>
>>35396242
i dont know what kind of posture issues he may be talking about, it could be something exceptional and serious, like some sort of imbalance or whatever
but seriously, as weight increases in squats and diddlylift and stuff more of the core is recruited to stabilize your spine. the muscles on the core get stronger along the other ones that youre training
proper form isnt rocket science, keeping your core tight and spine neutral and stuff
id recommend reading up on starting strength
>>
>>35396242
>PT

kek
>>
>>35396390
1625 Canadian pesos for 24 1h sessions sounds like a great deal. I'll get huge by year end r-right?
>>
File: blaha 6 pack abs.jpg (71 KB, 636x960) Image search: [Google]
blaha 6 pack abs.jpg
71 KB, 636x960
>>35395697
this.

all you need to do is squat and deadlift for abs.
pic related, my friend jason whos shredded as fuck on his cut and he only squats and deadlifts. SS+gomad for bulking.
>>
>>35396242
>falling for the pt joo?
why would you listen to the gains goblins.
>>
>>35395880
got any shirtless pics? no homo

stats?
>>
In terms of actually having an athletic body you need to work core. Core is one of the most important parts to just about every physical activity you will do.

Not only does a strong core help with flexibility, it will lower your chance of back injuries, and increase the power of your various lifts/explosive movements.

I train core after every workout for 20-30 minutes and i have never had a back injury, and within a month of when i first started deadlifting i was able to do 405.

People who dont do core are looking purely for aesthetics. Personally, i think a solid core looks good, but not everyone does. If you have any athletic interest then dont neglect it.
>>
>>35395880
do u juice?
>>
File: gc.jpg (5 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
gc.jpg
5 KB, 225x225
>>35396436
>yfw you realize he's not bullshitting
>>
File: jason.jpg (74 KB, 636x960) Image search: [Google]
jason.jpg
74 KB, 636x960
>>35396436
posting the edited version
>>
>>35395720
>how can you curl with a weak biceps? form will be so bad, no?
can you hear how stupid you are
>>
>>35395686
>Why does /fit/ shit on exercises for abs?
A significant number of /fit/ and bb.com users want the "v-taper" aesthetic - shoulders, lats, chest with intentionally underdeveloped abdominals to make a "trim waist".
>>
>>35395772
>they're going to develop the most from heavy stabilization (Squats/Dead/OHP) so core work for hypertrophy is a waste of time.
If you train the transverse abdominis in isolation it will come into action more reliably when you weight the spine. You're suggesting only training the muscle when it's in the position it's most important it be successful. That's like saying firefighters should never have practice drills because they'll only "really" be motivated when there are lives at stake.

>>35395828
>Squats, DL, and a proper diet is literally all you need to build core,
I think there's a lot of individual variation, I remember seeing results of a study where chin-ups had the highest measured activation of ab rectus, but another of the chin-up measurements was low activation.

Saying "I get enough activation from squats, deadlifts" is missing the variation between individuals, as well as the benefits of addressing imbalances and unresponsive or unreliable muscles.
>>
>>35395697
This.
>>
>>35396436
He looks better and is far stronger than most middle aged men, honestly he's probably stronger than you are now and and stronger than you will be when you're his age.

Jason Blaha acts like a dumbass but most fitizens act far more retarded than him and he has ok lifting advice.
>>
You guys are retarded. Abs are the same as any other muscle. What this means is that isometrics like squat and dl will make them stronger, but not much bigger. It also means that without training them, you won't have the deep valleys and high ridges of many bodybuilders; they will be more flat.
If you want big abs like I described, you need to train them with progressive weight increments and target them like any other muscle. Weighted crunches, knee raises, etc. Of course if you don't want big abs then just reduce your bodyfat.
>>
>>35395697
>>35395828

Holy shit I wish the kids here at /fit/ would stop falling for this meme

Have you retards ever watched a powerlifter train? They do A SHITLOAD of core work, you don't magically get a super strong core just because you do squats and deadlifts. In fact if you don't do any supplementary core work you might as well kiss your big lifts goodbye

Fucking hell why do people ever take advice from this place
>>
Because most people on /fit/ don't lift
>>
>>35395828
>Do you even actually lift? Squats, DL, and a proper diet is literally all you need to build core,
>get big boot pig
>cardio kills gains
>SS + GOMAD
>and other /r/fit/ memes

If you do not isolate and work core muscles, your abs will look like shit.
>>
You absolutely should do ab work. Having a strong core will benefit all your other lifts. Anyone who says you shouldn't do ab exercises is a faggot.

That being said, it IS still true that visible six-pack abs are more a product of your body fat percentage than what exercises you do.

tl;dr: Doing crunches won't give you a six pack, but stfu and do them anyway, faggot.
>>
>>35395686
Because people on the internet are too insecure to admit they're insecure

They therefore dont want to admit they want an aesthetic appearance and work deliberately on an aesthetic muscle (abs), so try to cover it up by acting like they do non-aesthetic work like squats and DLs
>>
>>35395686
>Why does /fit/ shit on exercises for abs?
1. To be fair, the abilty to display a 'six pack' is largely genetic.
2. /fit/ is full of lazy fucks who don't want to do cardio or anything that requires any real endurance, and ab work takes time and is not fun. Of course the 'cardio kills gains' crap is crap, all you have to do is eat more to cover it, but they won't listen because they're pussies about running or any other cardio.
>>
>>35395703
This. Superset ab wheel with hanging leg raises. Only additional core work you'll ever need.
>>
>>35401993
This is troll as fuck. Im doing nothing but barbel exercises 3 times a week and I still lift heavier each day. Other exercises are not mandatory
>>
File: largegenetics.jpg (48 KB, 600x399) Image search: [Google]
largegenetics.jpg
48 KB, 600x399
>>35404486
>1. To be fair, the abilty to display a 'six pack' is largely genetic.
>>
>tfw someone uses your picture to illustrate a /fit/ thread in a positive way

Thanks OP, made my day.
>>
>>35404708
OP here, breh that's my goal body
Feel free to post more
>>
>>35396436
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t31VVW-Sdk0
>>
>>35395686

Because even with a shitload of work, the size and definition of abdominal muscles can hardly be changed.

So, the obvious solution for ab definition is just to trim the fat. Whether or not you hit the abs hard, isn't really relevant.
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (948 KB, 1090x613) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
948 KB, 1090x613
Cable crunches are god tier for abs. Agree/disagree?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmGfHk46OSU
>>
>>35401796
The transverse abdominis is not worked by crunches you fucking retard.
You really don't need a strong TA to lift heavy. The TA simply holds your organs in and keeps your gut in check. It has nothing to contribute in terms of squatting or deadlifting.
You really don't need accessory core work unless it becomes a weak point but as many have stated, it won't be a weak point if you actually maintain core tension during the big compounds as that will be plenty. Most people don't even think about their core when lifting though.
>>
>>35406622
you're retarded
>>
File: image.jpg (218 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
218 KB, 1000x1000
>>35406587
4u
>>
>>35395739
Why don't victims of famine have abs?
>>
>>35404514

it doesnt count when you're 3 weeks into SS breh
>>
>>35406722
because they don't train. notice that he said "without specifically isolating it". this debate is never about training vs not training, it's about training abs with compound exercises only vs adding extra isolation work. someone with a 500lbs deadlift and low bf% will have visible abs.
>>
>>35404514

Says the retard who's been lifting <6 months and is still doing SS/SL
>>
>>35406630
> it won't be a weak point if you actually maintain core tension during the big compounds

Said no powerlifter ever. Good luck getting a deadlift heavier than 4 plate without doing core work
>>
>>35395686
Because le squets & diddlies. Do'em but you don't really have to think about them too hard. Just do'em.
>>
>>35396436
He just needs a nice long di-uh cut. Just needs to cut.
>>
>>35406614
>visible abdominals

ayy lmao
>>
>>35406687
Thick, solid, tight
#nohomo
>>
everyone in the world can do a million billion crunches

try l-sits
>>
>>35401796
I've never done squats or deadlifts and had sore abs afterwords.
>>
>>35406628
>>35406628
is this guy gay?
>>
>>35410784
>Afterwords
>I've never done squats or deadlifts

OK
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.