[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stretching
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: knee-pain.jpg (21 KB, 650x360) Image search: [Google]
knee-pain.jpg
21 KB, 650x360
>knee pain
>find out it may be due to short hamstrings
>absolutely unable to touch my toes with straight legs
>ridiculously unflexible
>may be cause of knee pain for the past 20 years
>no doctor ever told me about this
>ask /fit/
>get better advice and exercises to do
>do them
>do them HARD
>"Anon is not a bitch, I can do HARDER"
>first night: feet feel prickly and cold
>then warm and prickly
>fear nerve damage
>things get better the next day
>do stretching exercises like a pussy now

Tell me about stretching.
>>
It's not something you can fix in a two days of heavy stretching. Slowly and gradually increase how far you go until you get there.
>>
Had the same issue which caused me to butt wink at the bottom of my squat --> bad form --> jumper's knee after some time..
You should go see a physical therapist, that's what I did after about 6 months og jumper's knee.. He gave me some exercises to do every day, including stretching of the hamstrings (mine are also too tight/short), which actually "cured" me after about a month.. Now I'm squatting like nothng was ever wrong with my knee/hammies..
>>
>>35387504

I know, but I was going to do it intensely for months, now I'm scared.

Are tingly feelings normal or to be avoided?
>>
>>35387504
>including stretching of the hamstrings (mine are also too tight/short), which actually "cured" me after about a month.. Now I'm squatting like nothng was ever wrong with my knee/hammies..

FUCK YEAH!

Tell me more about the exact exercises you were doing. It's exactly what I need, bra.
>>
File: tzhzthttrht.png (81 KB, 774x244) Image search: [Google]
tzhzthttrht.png
81 KB, 774x244
>>35387874

>potential saviour
>hope he's still here

PLEASE COME BACK.
>>
File: rings on earth.jpg (69 KB, 625x531) Image search: [Google]
rings on earth.jpg
69 KB, 625x531
>>35387874
>He gave me some exercises to do every day,

Please give them to me! I will honor your name with every rep of whatever exercise you give me from that doctor.
>>
>>35388109
Not that anon, but I made a routin for myself a while back because of thosd same issues and it worked. Here goes: reaching down towards toes; you don't have tk touch them, just feel the stretch in rhe legs. Hold for about 30 seconds and don't force it.

Place legs at around shoulder width and move them apart slowly as far as you can. When you feel a good amount of stretch stop, hold for 20-30 secs. Put hands dosn on the floor if need be.

Squat and put legs to the side while reaching out with the same sided arm to touch your foot. Hold for 20-30 secs with other hand on ground for stability.

Same as above, but place both arms on ground between your legs and bend forwards diagonally as opposed to the side/leg in the previous one. Hold for half a minute.

Hope this helps brah, it worked for me.
>>
File: 1357934634114.jpg (13 KB, 288x344) Image search: [Google]
1357934634114.jpg
13 KB, 288x344
>>35388171
>Here goes: reaching down towards toes; you don't have tk touch them

>mfw I'm literally 20 cm from them and can't go lower
>>
File: 1357676232697.gif (2 MB, 356x200) Image search: [Google]
1357676232697.gif
2 MB, 356x200
>>35388171

At first I was like
>Place legs at around shoulder

And I stressed the fuck out, but then I
>Place legs at around shoulder width
>width

And I relaxed the fuck out.
>>
>>35388171
>Place legs at around shoulder width and move them apart slowly as far as you can.

What's the starting position for this? When I'm reaching for my toes or is this a different exercise? Do I spread my thighs?
>>
>>35388171

If you could find videos for this I would be eternally grateful. I'm having trouble picturing this to any accurate degree and I don't want to fuck my form up.
>>
>>35388224
Excuse the retarded text and not very well separated exercises, I'm writing this from my tiny smartphone.

It's a different exercise. Stand up and move them apart. Bending forwards a bit helps with stability and you will eventually have to put your hands down on the floor.

>>35388198
I know that very same feel. Don't worry, you will go further every day you practice, it's just not overnight.
>>
>>35388296
>I'm writing this from my tiny smartphone.

You're a better man than I.

Thanks, man!
>>
>>35388296

Did you get warm/cold and tingly feelings later during the day? I get that stuff in bed and it made me worry about nerve damage.
>>
>>35388376
Tingly is rather vague. Does it hurt at all when it tingles? I used ro just feel them a bit strained, like general soreness in the muscle. If it persists get it checked.
>>
>>35388667

The same way when you press your arm and blood flow stops. That kind of tingly prickly. It doesn't hurt, but it's weird and concerns me.

At first my feet felt cold as fuck, although I wasn't cold, then they felt much warmer.
>>
>>35388683
That's more or less normal, don't worry. I have to go now, but take care and be patient senpai, keep exercising and you'll seerhe difference.
>>
>>35388705

Thank you!
>>
get Ming Chew's book or suffer for ever
>>
>>35387441
Hot yoga increses flexibility really quickly and easily. Something about being warm af and doing static hold stretches. That and getting physio to check your form on knee stuff. Just get a referral from a doc for that.
>>
>>35388109
I'm back (sorry it took so long).. For starters I stretched my hamstrings, holding each stretch for 30 seconds 5-6 times per leg every morning, midday and evening.. Just the regular one where you put one leg on a chair, keep it straight and bend over at the waist (keep that lower back straight as fuck - reallt important, no slouching of the lower back at all!!!).. Then I did sort of a reverse plank (shoulders and heels on floor, elevated ass and back, then alternating raising each leg to strenghten lower abs - keep core tight as fuck by pretending you're holding in a fart).. Then do lunges (no weights ofc) on a bosu ball to strenghten the small muscles attatched to the knee.. Then lay on your side a bit tilted forward and do "sideways leg raises", but make sure it hits the glutes! I did these every day, about 3-5 sets of each, 8-10 reps.. I can't remember if I did anything else - if I come up with it, I'll post it! The main issue (for me) was a weak core, weak glutes and too tight hammies.. The weak core/glutes made my knee take over the squat too much, and the hammies made my ass wink at the buttom, also putting extra pressure on the knee.. But really you should go see a physical therapist since your ham/knee probs might be caused by something totally different..
>>
>>35390831

Thanks!

I need to get flexible anyway, hamstrings so stupidly short.
>>
>>35391122
Yeah, normally short hams will fuck up squats, DLs and such, so get it sorted out, bro.. Maybe stay away from squats for a month and stretch them a couple of times a day - I'm sure you'll feel betyder then!
>>
>>35391301

That's what I'm doing. But I feel weird as hell in my knees doing the stretches. I assume this means it's exactly what I need to do, and that it does indeed have a deep effect on my knees to have short hamstrings.
>>
File: 1406186255002.gif (2 MB, 380x570) Image search: [Google]
1406186255002.gif
2 MB, 380x570
>very flexible legs
>very inflexible hips

Very annoying in Muay Thai as I can't do high kicks, but I also suspect it as one of the reasons for my knee pain.

So, what are the best stretches for dem hips?
>>
>>35391338
Yea, I felt it and still do in my knees - it's uncomfortable, kind of "this will fuck my knee up" feeling, but don't worry, keep doing it - of course don't go so deep that you're in pain.. But remember to keep the lower back straight! It'll make it so that you can't bend over as much as usual, but that's the point..
>>
>>35391458
>But remember to keep the lower back straight! It'll make it so that you can't bend over as much as usual, but that's the point..

Good to know, because I was doing that.

Should I hold or just sort of thrust?
>>
Should I pull my toes towards me or not? When I do a leg on chair sort of exercise? I can barely do it standing, that's how unflexible I am.
>>
>>35391478
Hold the stretch for 30 seconds, then alternate leg - do 5 sets for each leg a couple of times a day.
>>
>>35391583

I'm scared of the tinglies! I stretched a lot the other day and these odd feelings make me worry. I don't want to fuck up my legs. :(
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.