[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Starting Strenght while cutting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: mark-rippetoe1.jpg (72 KB, 800x532) Image search: [Google]
mark-rippetoe1.jpg
72 KB, 800x532
Has anyone done Starting Strenght while cutting? How did you do? Did you lose weight? Did you gain strength?

Is it possible or just a waste of time? Should you just do PPL while cutting and starting of and maybe when you reach the goal then start SS?
>>
Waste of effort and time.

High reps(6-12), ppl split, body maintenance till you get adjusted to the routine.
You'll look like shit doing ss on a cut.
>>
>>35386668

It can be done.

You'll stall sooner and move off of it, but you will gain strength and lose weight over the period unless something goes really wrong.
>>
>>35386668
That's what I'm doing right now, so I'll stay in this thread because I'm curious as to what people think is the better alternative for fatasses. So far my lifts (and therefore strength) have gone up, meanwhile I've been losing fat. I'm about two months in now.
>>
>>35386726
Post lifts. What you started and what are you lifting now? How big is you deficit also?
>>
>>35386769
I'm 20yo, 5'11"

Started at
>260lbs
>75lbs bench press 3x5
>115lbs squat 3x5
>135 lbs diddylift 1x5

Currently at
>245lbs
>115lbs bench press 3x5
>165lbs squat 3x5
>225lbs diddlylift 1x5

Eating roughly 2k cal a day, though honestly I could be tracking it better and it's a bit different day to day based on what my schedule looks like
>>
>>35386668
I don't see the point of doing this.
>>
>>35386954
Well point is that its still SS and I love me some compound lifts.
>>
>>35386989

the point of ss is to progress your lifts, which is a waste of time trying to do on a cut

on a cut your only goal is to maintain muscle mass
>>
>>35387022
Yeah so I'm thinking PPL with all the SS lifts but I wont put 5lbs every workout. Squad and DL on leg day and such.
>>
>>35387022

Unless you're a total beginner, in which case you can pretty much double your lifts purely off neurological adaption, which you can do just fine on a cut.
>>
File: 4mo.jpg (125 KB, 648x261) Image search: [Google]
4mo.jpg
125 KB, 648x261
i did SS on a cut when i started. this is my 4 month progress. lifts stalled out early, but if you're cutting your first priority is fat loss anyway.
>>
>>35387022
What routine do you recommend to maintain mass while cutting?
>>
>>35387079
You gonna motivate a brother with those progress pics man, damn.
>>
>>35387079
please be a manlet or im killing myself

also, what were your lifts at the end of the 4 month cut? have you lifted before?
>>
If you are a fat-ass and you want to lose weight SS on a cut is one of the best things you can do. This is the only time you can increase muscle and strength and lose fat at the same time
>>
>>35386668

Just make sure you get enough calories and you'll do great.

Muscles don't grow on fat, they grow on protein.
>>
Guess we going SS but eating a bit more because i'm eating like a 5'1 female at the moment.
Also I can't spell Strength.
>>
My recommendation is to lose weight through cardio and diet for a few months and then start a program. You can milk your LP gains a lot more if you're not in a caloric deficit.
>>
>>35387572
I'm halfway there weight wise from dieting alone. It's time to hit the gym so I don't become skinny-fat.
>>
I was a 310 lb fatshit when I decided to dorp weight, (And lift it, know what im saying ;P heheh) I went on a "cut" where I took in more food than i thought possible, but only hit 2k cals a day, with 230+ proteins (couldnt seem to get much more) and a low amount of carbs, within a month I gained almost 50 lbs on BP, almost 100 on squat, and my DL went through the roof at an increase of 150 lbs. I quickly left this routine as the infrequent workouts often caused me to lose motivation and went to a 4 day routine with Full(Light) upper lower and Full(Heavy) and I've actually LOST my gynowhich was diagnosed and had a scheduled surgery, and went down almost 20 in jean size...
>>
>>35388986
You the man!
>>
>>35386668

bulking and cutting are the original broscience memes of lifting.

Eat clean, lift, and adjust your intake as needed for gains. You should never get fat and you should never have to struggle to add muscle at a reasonable pace.

tl:dr bulking and cutting are for idiots with poor self discipline
>>
This dude plays elder scrolls.
>>
>>35387100
Also interested in this
>>
>>35386668
I did SS while cutting as a pure newbie. I was a skinnyfat weakling with a ~450 lb total. After SS for about 8 months total went up to about 800 lbs. Progress was slow because I didn't eat. I'm currently 2 years in weightlifting bullshittin and only going 1-2 hours a week max but still have nearly 1k total. The strength never leaves man, but the size does after 2nd week of bullshittin
>>
Isn't starting strength a meme program?
>>
>>35389901
That's like saying squads and deadlifts are meme lifts
>>
If you're brand new and are starting with a high bf there's really no reason not to cut or at least maintain while doing it. Max the newb gains.

Be prepared to bulk 3-6 months in though when progress dries up.
>>
File: image.jpg (291 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
291 KB, 1200x1200
Pic related is 5 months progress. Left pic taken in July and right pic was about 2+ weeks ago.

Can be done. But desu PPL does seem to make sense. Anyway, I was in it to get as strong as I could while on a cut. Not that I'm that strong tho.

I found SS fun cuz of the linear progression. I'm pretty weak so it was quite motivating.
>>
>>35389914
The are though, only tryhards do them and they all end up crippled, not a single person has ever done a long term program with squats and/or dlifts and not had a serious back injury.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.