[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Start a paid fire department job in the US in 2 weeks >6
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Fire-Department-Logo-588x593.jpg (98 KB, 588x593) Image search: [Google]
Fire-Department-Logo-588x593.jpg
98 KB, 588x593
>Start a paid fire department job in the US in 2 weeks
>6 month academy obviously
>Been getting /fit/ as fuck the past 4 months
>Still feel unprepared
>Family and friends all rooting me on
>Am afraid of failure

Oh God /fit/ motivate me or something, I'm scared of letting myself and others down here. I want to do good, and I know I can do this job, but holy fuck. I've never been in a paramilitary situation before. I've been looking at my classmates and it appears I'm one of the youngest and most fit of all my classmates, but holy fuck, that doesn't make me any less scared.
>>
>>35383384
If you don't blow everyone else out of the running being the youngest and fittest you'll get a shit firehouse and a shit probi gig. You have to do better than them if you don't wanna be miserable for a year. Most were volunteers or prior military. So gg for you bro.
>>
>>35383405
I was a volly for several years, so I know the deal, as well as I have my EMT which got me hired.
>>
>>35383431
I'm getting my EMT cert this fall. I have no volunteer experience.. how likely will I get hired after my emt?
>>
>>35383460
For a fire job or EMS? Honestly the city that hired me as a firefighter didn't give 2 shits about my volunteerism, all they cared about was that I had my EMT, nothing more. You get extra points for your EMT, National Board Firefighter 1 (I only had my states), Paramedic, and prior military.
>>
>>35383469
Well I'm going for paramedics. Just getting my EMT now. I'm prior military. What state bro?
>>
>>35383502
PA negro
>>
>>35383509
That's a shithole. Never mind. I'm in Colorado so we have standards.
>>
>>35383517
I agree, the hiring process here was a joke. There wasn't even a physical test, I was graded on a personality test, and the interview was yes and no questions. I then got the job and was given a start date.
>>
File: 1451060589272.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1451060589272.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
>>35383526
Lucky sob. I have to take a physical test before I take the hiring physical test before I take the academy physical test .
>>
>>35383561
I think we are going to change it more toward what you have to go through in the coming years. Honestly, my biggest fear apart from failure is just adapting to the paramilitary atmosphere. I think back to about 10 years ago when I was a freshman in high school and I did football, I had a panic attack. I've never been able to let go from that despite in the past 10 years, getting my firefighter 1, EMT, saving numerous adult and childrens lives in a shitty ghetto, among other really honorable feats.

Damn son
>>
I work at as a paid on call in canada. Just keep working on endurance. I've been lifting for a few years and I found the most difficult part of training is the sheer volume. Nothing is ever really particularly heavy (other than the 180lb dummy you drag around). The most difficulty I ever have is my muscles getting tired from being worked for so long. I'd try doing cardio / workouts wearing an SCBA tank, or weighted vest.
>>
>>35383602
Dunno breh. I used to always get nervous for no reason. My breathing quickens, felt light headed, body shakes and can't stop thinking. Feel like I was gonna pass out. Until the first time I returned fire on an actual enemy in Iraq. Now I still get nervous but nowhere near like before. I just do through a few scenarios in my head and say fuck right before the moment of truth. Nothing is a big seal anymore. I haven't been surprised or scared or even excited since then. Except when it comes to my daughter. I cried when she was born, her first steps, her first words and so on. Cried like a bitch. Guess one day you just have to see what is really scary and what is really worth getting worked up about.
>>
how does it feel knowing that you're the real heroes and cops are shitheads?
>>
>>35383781
Like honestly
God bless guys
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.