[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've had knee problems in the past and the therapist sa
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_2015-12-23-16-02-42.png (1 MB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-12-23-16-02-42.png
1 MB, 720x1280
I've had knee problems in the past and the therapist said its because I externally rotate my knees too much when doing exercises like deadlifts and squats. I guess I taught myself never to cave in so I always went out. Do these looks decent? Like do my knees look like they are in a decent position?

Update: My therapist sent me an email after i showed him the videos and I think he has similar things to you guys. Can someone deciper what this means?

""Regarding the squat, the form from the side looked ok. But the form from behind revealed a few issues. First, widen your base of support to at least shoulder width. If you're going to keep the feet that close together, the knees need to stay over the feet, but they bow out a little bit. So widen the feet, but still make sure the knees stay over the feet. Second, your grip on the bar could be the problem for your shoulder because your shoulders blades are excessively retracted and your shoulders excessively externally rotated. Widen your hands and keep your elbows away from your side. Use a towel roll or one of those foam pads that go around the bar to rest the bar on your upper back so that you don't need to use the arms to hold the weight off your spine. Hope this helps!

Merry Christmas!""

Videos:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yTc9Kub7Glo&feature=youtu.be

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RMB4Qhw8TwY&feature=youtu.be
>>
He's right about the knees. Your ankles are collapsing while your knees are pushing out. Try 'screwing' your feet into the floor to externally rotate at the hips instead of putting varus stress on your knees. Some glute activation might be good. Look up some of the squat vids Chris duffin put on youtube, he explains hese things well.
>>
Jesus Christ, widen your stance. That'll allow everything to be more stable and flexible. And put your hands further out on the bar.

That's all he was saying.
>>
The towel roll or foam pad is bullshit, keeping elbows away from sides and hands wider is as well. If youre having shoulder issues he should tell you what kind of mobility or strength you're lacking. If he can't: find another therapist.
>>
>>35359707
You're squatting in a deadlift stance basically. Widen your feet to around shoulder width and try that. It is possible to squat with a stance that narrow and it will make your squat much more quad dominant but paradoxically it's best done with feet and knees pointing more forward than if you'd taken a wider stance. Forcing your knees out there produces more strain than necessary. If you widen your stance you'll need to make sure knees track over your feet to let your pelvis and torso sink into the hole and hit depth.

As with most cues in lifting don't exaggerate things too much. Similar to when people say not to let your lumbar spine round that doesn't mean hyperextend it, it just means keep a neutral spine when people say don't let your knees cave in that doesn't mean actively forcing them outwards, just to make sure they track out over the same line as your feet are pointing. That's enough, they don't need to widen any more than that. That may just injure your groin.
>>
>light lowbar narrow stance halfsquat

Jesus fuck those are some ugly looking squats
>>
>>35359707
>Decipher
>Perfectly comprehensible paragraph

Goddamn man... You make me cringe
>>
>>35359707
Just posted this advice about the knees:>>35359816

Forgot to say in my opinion he's talking shite about your hand and shoulders. It shouldn't be necessary to wrap a towel or foam pad to squat. You upper back, shoulders etc should be tight and the bar should naturally sit there with no problems. As you build muscle around the rear delts it will get a bit more cushioning but even as a skelly a pad shouldn't be necessary. As long as you keep your upper back right, shoulder blades retracted the bar shouldn't rest on your spine. The only time that would happen is if you lost all tightness and let your shoulder slump forward or something. Keep your hands at whatever width feels natural, point your elbows up or down to whatever position feels natural as well and use that. All these things vary from person to person and there's not really one absolute right way to do it. As long as the upper back is tight and contracted you're fine.
>>
>>35359734
Looks like he is pushing them out to me. Where do they cave?
>>
>>35359743
He said "widen the base of support to at least shoulder width" any idea what that means or how to do it?
>>
>>35359898
FEET ON THE FLOOR IS THE BASE OF SUPPORT

Holy fuck i can tell you have autism
>>
This has to be a fucking troll, it has to
>>
Dude looking at your other videos i can see you've been at it for years, and you have literally gotten worse in terms of squat technique.

How can you not have improved in any way?
>>
>>35359898

You're a troll.

Move both feet apart so they align with the outside of your shoulders. You have them on the inside making the balance point for your weight small and unstable.
>>
>>35359758
I had surgery 3 months ago that's why he said that. Shoulder surg. So I'm suppose to flare my elbows? I thought I was suppose to keep them back as far as I could so there was no weight on the forearm
>>
>>35360264
Dude are you trolling? Seriously? Do you have a learning disability? How come you havnet made ANY progress since last august? You literally became worse
>>
>>35360275
Excuse me, AUGUST 2014
>>
>>35360038
I'm just trying to get the form down so I can progress properly. I've been in limbo for years but that's why I come here for advice
>>
>>35360275
No I'm not trolling, again I'm just trying to learn
>>
>>35360382
So how does that hinder you from taking basic advice from your therapist?
>>
holy shit, you have been going to the gym for a year and you squat 65 lbs..... how is this even possible....
>>
>>35360424
I don't fucking know man, that's not even the worst part. His form was deep and good before. But now it's just fucking bad, he actually got worse at lifting
>>
>>35360443
yea, i saw his first video, it looked pretty decent.
OP you know getting fit is basically 30% workout and 70% lifestyle right? are you eating well? are you getting 8 hours of sleep a day?
>>
>>35360424
>>35360443
Therapist told me going deep is a reason why I have knee issues. He said there is no reason to go all the way down so that's why I'm practicing parallel. Because parallel is a sticking point for me. I haven't gotten worse I just started over at parallel training
>>
File: 1309.jpg (19 KB, 228x228) Image search: [Google]
1309.jpg
19 KB, 228x228
I think you're trolling but this is how wide your feet should be. How the fuck did you not read the sticky is beyond me.
>>
Try this:

https://youtu.be/cNs8swRZL48?t=3m42s
>>
>>35360605
https://youtu.be/bs_Ej32IYgo
>>
>>35360605
Your therapist is trolling you hard core brah. Kick him in the dick next time you see him and fire his ass.

You need a coach not a therapist, not a personal trainer, a fucking coach.
>>
>>35360844
This. Good vid.
>>
>>35360853
He has a masters in exercise science. He maybe didn't see my levers though
>>
This is bait, saw the same thread yesterday.

Hilarious squats though, vaguely homosexual.
>>
>>35361434
>exercise science

It's a terrible field of study less developed then gender studies
>>
File: 1425723878885.jpg (50 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
1425723878885.jpg
50 KB, 625x626
>>35359707
>>35359898
>>35360605
>>
What the fuck is wrong with this guy? There are high school kids that squat 225 after watching an instructional YouTube video. Why the fuck do you squat so badly for so many years of training? 65 lbs is absolute baby weight, and you look like a retard. Why the fuck has nobody commented on your crazy back arch?

Kill yourself
>>
>>35361532
You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>35361701
I told you I had to start the weight over. Please don't talk shit. I'm just here for advice. You think my core wasn't tight enough or something? I didn't notice at the time that my back had that arch. Not sure what to do about it
>>
>>35361901
JUST LIFT AND STOP JERKING OFF ON HERE

JUST GO LIFT

SQUAT HIGH-BAR IN A WAY THAT FEELS NATURAL JUST DO IT
>>
>>35361919
I've always just did low bar
>>
>>35362338
And guess what, youre moving baby weights with shit form
>>
>>35362927
Stop being a dick
>>
>>35359734
what he said, your arches are completely collapsed and your lumbar and knees are making up for it, your back is horribly flexed because instead of pushing your knees out to the side of your hips, you are keeping your legs in front of your hips and holding them out to the sides.
you want your weight stacked vertical on your spine, and your torso upright. your hips need to open up more so your thighs point to the sides of your hips, and your feet need to hold an arch and rotate externally
>>
>>35364383
What can I do to to fix the arch thing?
>>
>>35365277
tighten you core. when most people say that they mean to compress your stomach towards your spine, i.e flatten your abs, but you should also focus on pulling your rib cage down and front of your hips up. also focus on keeping the force of the weight straight through your spine. remember, force is a vector and does not curve, so if your spine is curved, the force wont be applies straight through your whole spine.
this should force your torso into a more upright position which is where the knees out to the side, and sitting in between your ankles when you squat is going to be essential.
also see if your hips and glutes are tight. the proper leg orientation depends on being able to open up your hips to sit down between your legs/ankles
>>
>>35365322
Ty for the adv
>>
Low Bar looks so fucking autistic.
>>
>>35366303
Yea it does lol
>>
>>35359707
>>>/b/
With your shit tier trolls

That being said, whoever that was in that video had some of the worst squats I've ever seen, and I've seen some fucking shitty squats.
>>
>>35366303
Well perhaps but OP is hyperextending like holy fuck, has a way too narrow stance and isn't even close to parallel. Make fun of low bar all you like, but that aint how low bar looks like.
>>
>>35367669
Yeah okay. They aren't even that fucking bad. Narrow stance narrow arms in bar would literally fix everything. And a tigehter core
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.