[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /fit/ Is garlic bad for you in high amounts? Red pill me
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7
File: garlic-with-parsley-leaves.jpg (35 KB, 580x342) Image search: [Google]
garlic-with-parsley-leaves.jpg
35 KB, 580x342
Sup /fit/

Is garlic bad for you in high amounts? Red pill me here.

Whenever I cook any kind of meat, I put fucking huge forkfuls of minced garlic on/in it. It's only preserved in its own juices, so no extra oils or anything. I was just curious if this is harmful to my health at all. Everything I can find only says Garlic is good for you and to be wary of acid reflux and shit.

You would probably vomit if you saw how much garlic I use.
>>
it's only bad in high amounts if you have issues with heart burn/ulcers.
other than that it's a free for all.
>>
>>35332729
>Using jars of minced garlic

Do yourself a favour, buy fresh garlic and get a garlic crusher. It tastes way better.
And garlic is fucking great, the only downside to it is that it makes you smell. Keeps vampires away though.
>>
>>35332814
>Do yourself a favour, buy fresh garlic and get a garlic crusher. It tastes way better.
I would nigga but this shit is too convenient. I use way too much to crush it up every time, I'd give myself carpal tunnel. Thanks for the tip though.
>>
>>35332825
Just slice it.

Crisp it in the pan before adding your meat.
The oil will absorb the garlic essence and the crispy garlic will taste lush.
>>
>>35333208
Shit man that's a good idea. I'm actually gonna try that.
>>
File: garlic oil.jpg (61 KB, 957x1300) Image search: [Google]
garlic oil.jpg
61 KB, 957x1300
>>35333208
I like to buy a big bottle of olive oil, crush some cloves of garlic & keep them in the bottle.
The whole bottle gets this strong, wonderful garlic flavor.
>>
>>35333208
fuck I wish I would have seen this 10 minutes ago!
>>
>>35333284
>>35333257
>>35333214
>not making your own infused oils
/fit/ please.
>>
>>35332729
>It's only preserved
into the trash it goes
>>
>>35333519
Nigga it doesn't have preservatives in it. It's just a jar of minced garlic in its own juice. That shit keeps for fucking ever.
>>
>>35333257
That's actually not safe.

https://theolivepress.com/news-blog/be-aware-of-the-risks-of-botulism-with-homemade-garlic-infused-oil
>>
File: Hand-Exerciser.jpg (18 KB, 225x250) Image search: [Google]
Hand-Exerciser.jpg
18 KB, 225x250
>>35332825
>I'd give myself carpal tunnel

Nah lad, doing sets of garlic crushers will improve your grip strength and improve your lifts as a result.
>>
File: 1450496623054.png (85 KB, 246x246) Image search: [Google]
1450496623054.png
85 KB, 246x246
>>35334736
It's a sick world.
>>
>>35332729
I throw a clove in the blender with every post lifting shake.
>>
>>35335021
You're a garlicky wanker
>>
>>35332825
Unless you're literally just shoveling it in hand over fist, you will not waste time by crushing fresh garlic, and it may allow you to use less, since fresh garlic has a much better and more garlicy taste than that minced crap.

I mean if you're at the point where you're worried about garlic/time efficiency, you're probably just fucking eating it out of the jar as it is, in which case dont even crush it just peel whole cloves and cram it in your fucking face and chase it with vodka and then go punch children
>>
>>35334736
Neither is driving but im going to keep doing it.
>>
File: raw.gif (131 KB, 220x130) Image search: [Google]
raw.gif
131 KB, 220x130
>>35335080
>just peel whole cloves and cram it in your fucking face and chase it with vodka and then go punch children

Top kek
>>
File: Black-Garlic.jpg (81 KB, 586x389) Image search: [Google]
Black-Garlic.jpg
81 KB, 586x389
Health wise, once you cook fresh garlic all the benefits are gone, and there are quite a few.

when crushed, fresh garlic makes a compound called allicin, when ingested
allicin is acts as an antifungle, antibacterial and antimicrobial, research even
shows that germs that have become resistant to antibiotics in recent years have
no protection from allicin.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10594976
http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0112726
http://ispub.com/IJID/8/1/6553#
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15250668

Theres also something called aged garlic, basically take a regular garlic bulb
and keep it at 70C for around 30 days and the garlic cloves turns black, the
garlic cloves are now sweet/sour and contain a different compound then allicin
called S-allylcysteine that works differently in the body and is quite amazing, it
reduces DNA damage from oxidation, it reduces LDL while increasing HDL, it
reduces blood pressure in people with hypertension, it reduces the rate of
occurrence of the common cold by 60-70% in people that intake it daily and
theres much more.

http://examine.com/supplements/garlic/

lots of research, have a read.
>>
>>35333257
protip, throw the oil and garlic in a pan and put it in the oven until the cloves brown. More flavor + less botulism.
And if you're THAT worried about botulism just put the oil in the fridge, should last weeks.
>>
>>35332729
>forkfuls of minced garlic on/in it
I'm assuming you're from the western world? Everything I see here on /fit/ makes me think about how shitty of a place it must be for someone who enjoys cooking. There's also that other thread about "free range, organic" eggs. I watched Food Inc. a long time ago, does your whole country really have no choice but to eat those industrially produced meat or pay a premium price for "natural" food?
Man I guess there are perks for being in a 3rd world developing shithole
>weekends
>wake up early, go to local open market
>lots of varied selections, stock up for the week
>prep food, cook for myself daily
>if I feel like it I can just drive to the fishing village for some fresh sea food
>family's lot (a huge closed compound, 6 houses, only 2 families left, huge open ground) has 5 mango trees, several bananas, FUCK HUGE avocado and sapodilla tree
>the mangoes bear fruit I think quarterly, while the avocado and sapodilla every 6 months
>we take them for granted, most of the fruit end up being bat food or just rotting on the ground
What's nice about this whole thing is that we're in the middle of a huge bustling city, and my office is a 15 minute drive away.
>>
>>35337691
3rd world paradise.
>>
>>35332729
don't worry your heart will remind you when you have too much. :^)
>>
>>35337707
I guess you can call it that if you ignore the poor slums left out by the very fast growing economy. No one can figure out how to help them ride this economic growth wave.
>>
>>35334736
>storing garlic in X way can be dangerous
>that's why you should buy OUR products instead because they're actually safe!

Fuck off with your shilling Schlomo Goldsteinn.
>>
>>35337449
intardasting
>>
>>35337449
Wow thanks for the info
Not op but been eating garlic raw
Since I was 18 for health reasons
Now I know even more
>>
>>35339483
I'm so addicted to garlic. I could imagine that large amounts over long periods of time might be dangerous though. Also the smell is a downside. Brushing teeth doesn't make the smell go away so I don't usually eat raw garlic within 24 hours of meeting certain people.

Raw garlic is not as harmless as you might think. I put some garlic juice on a nasty pimple for 10 minutes (because I read it would help with it) and burnt my skin with it. This was 5 days ago and it's still red as a motherfucker and only just now getting visibly better.
>>
>>35332729
Some say it's good for test
>>
>>35337449
Thank you Jesus.
>>
>>35339697
garlic is not a topical treatment. you don't put toothpaste or baking soda on your skin either, no matter what bullshit diy blogs spout.
>>
>>35342288
i've put toothpaste on my dick before, felt good.... at first...
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>35332729
Just bought some garlic poweder today, hope it is not that much chemo..
>>
>>35342691
i dont get why people do this fresh garlic is so much better in every way
>>
>>35342743
I also use fresh garlic ofc, but e.g. for a chicken seasoning powder is just More comfortable to use.
>>
>>35337691
where do you live?
Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.