[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Meditation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: meditation_o_587064.jpg (74 KB, 630x791) Image search: [Google]
meditation_o_587064.jpg
74 KB, 630x791
So I've started doing this. Are there any actual benefits or is it a meme like nofap?
>>
Something to reflect on your day and come to terms with shit in your life can be beneficial, as opposed to avoiding it.
>>
The benefits of meditation are what you take away from it. What you take away from it depends on you.
>>
>>35310194
>Are there any actual benefits or is it a meme like nofap?
Wanting to know, too.
>>
>>35310194
meditation is not a meme. it puts you into and altered state of conciousness. (Holroyd, et al) 2013, "An altered state of conciousness is defined as a qualitative change alteration in the pattern of mental functioning."
>>
>>35310194
If you think meditation is a meme, you need to meditate more, son. Shit is literally calming your mind and relaxing your body. If you manage to get deep enough into it, your whole body reacts really well to it. Thats the basic concept of it, have a clear serene mind and you will have a heathy body.

In reality, you will find out that your mind does influence a lot. Everything in your head piles up at some point and there is a lot of useless garbage going on in it. Meditating is like cleaning your room, but instead its your mind.

But most people don't have the discipline to actually go through with it, they just end up being bored/frustrated and never get anything from it. Because its not effortless, it requires patience and being understanding with yourself.
>>
Meditation may allow an altered state of consciousness. Ancient discipline - believed to have been developed by Hindus. Bhuddists have taken the practice to further refinement, if one chooses. There CAN be benefits. Generally, for most folks it's beneficial. I dare say all renowned martial artists practice meditation. It involves discipline and practice.
I have been diagnosed with a kundalini arising and it DOES help - otherwise all bets would be off.
>>
>>35310688
>>35310793
This. It's essentially exercise for your brain. Not easy, and very rewarding.
>>
>>35310194
Even if you're skeptical about the benefits, just treat it as a small amount of time you take out of each day for personal reflection.
>>
>>35310194
The benefits are fully psychological, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

You can't meditate your way into getting muscles or what have you, but you can meditate your way into a state of mind that'll make it easier for you to put effort into reaching your goals.
>>
File: trevor_koot_07.jpg (219 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
trevor_koot_07.jpg
219 KB, 800x1200
Anybody have the starting sit picture?
>>
File: 1403324751596.jpg (2 MB, 518x3648) Image search: [Google]
1403324751596.jpg
2 MB, 518x3648
>>35311274
>>
File: mindjuice.jpg (577 KB, 1200x8154) Image search: [Google]
mindjuice.jpg
577 KB, 1200x8154
>>
if you can clear your head and have less stress, better sleep, better focus, better mood, then I'd think it'd lead to better gains. Not sure though, I'll meditate on it while listening to the binaural frequency that releases growth hormone
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEIXijQctlQ
>>
>>35311416
>>35311511
thanks you guys
>>
File: 1290128424562.jpg (26 KB, 234x232) Image search: [Google]
1290128424562.jpg
26 KB, 234x232
>tfw meditation is too hard for me
>>
>>35311800
Just keep at it anon, start with 2 minutes before bed and add 30 seconds every day. Stick with it and do what you can. It won't be easy right away and it won't just click immediately. Everyone starts somewhere. Nobody benches two plates in their first day and nobody can meditate for 30 minutes their first time either.
>>
For those of you who do meditate, what benefits have you recieved?
>>
>>35310194
She has only one leg?
>>
>>35311800
Yeah man I know how you feel, working out in the gym is too hard for me too
>>
File: buddha.jpg (49 KB, 229x291) Image search: [Google]
buddha.jpg
49 KB, 229x291
>>35312014
You become pure.
>>
>>35311800
Same. My ADHD makes it difficult to concentrate. I get bored so easily.
>>
>>35310194
keep trying. It takes years of effort, failure and persistence. It is worth it.
>>
>>35312225
>Same. My ADHD makes it difficult to concentrate. I get bored so easily.
Same.

Want to be friends?
>>
>>35312063
what the fuck working out is easy modo compared
>>
An alternative if you don't like meditation is finding some kind of simple, low-stress, mentally and phsyically easy activity and doing that for 20-60 minutes a day. Basically you want something that gives you time to focus and think about things, while also keeping you away from distractions and other activities. Some days it helps to ponder a specific issue and really think through the deeper aspects of it, others it's just good to give yourself a break from expending mental energy. I've found that with all the distractions offered by modern life, it's easy to put off thinking about those important issues by turning to time-killing pursuits and not giving those thoughts an opportunity to surface.

Example activities are things like fishing, driving on a quiet road, walks etc. Any situation where you don't have to concentrate hard on anything, but also don't have any distractions to turn to.
>>
>>35312225
>ADHD
>Made up condition to so I never have to work hard to better myself
>>
I did a 10 day silent meditation retreat earlier this year. It is not a meme. Will be doing again next year, and probably every year.

but even 20 minutes a day is good.
>>
>>35313089
>there are people who believe this.

You're funny.
>>
mindfulness and meditation are the keys to living a stress free life :)
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.