[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Squats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3
File: Screenshot_2015-09-16-20-58-32.png (256 KB, 720x1280) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2015-09-16-20-58-32.png
256 KB, 720x1280
How important are Squats really /fit/?
> /fit/ loves them
> Rippetoe loves them
> Every coach I've ever had raves about them
Yet I only see girls doing them, and with baby weight.

> Aside from giving you t-rex legs and a confidence boost from putting up big numbers what do they DO?
>>
Idiot
>>
>>35305399
A great way to destroy your knees
>>
>>35305399
Honestly the biggest things ive gotten from squats is confidence with heavier weights and actually pushing yourself hard. It also showed me the importance of proper lifting technique, the more cues i remembered the higher weight i would squat.
>>
If you are going for huge quads, do Front Squats anyway.

I don't do them either way tho, Lunges all the way.
>>
>>35305454
>If you are going for huge quads, do Front Squats anyway.
Literally the most retarded thing I've read to date.

Literally nobody except /fit/ retards do front squats only.
>>
>>35305411
>>35305415
>>35305454
All fags.

Because why the fuck would you NOT train literally half your body with one of the most effective exercises possible? It's the equivalent of only doing flyes for chest instead of benching.

Do your squats, eat your oats, pray to rippetoe for gains.
>>
>>35305490
> ... why the fuck would you NOT train literally half your body with one of the most effective exercises possible?
I like that. But why do people prioritize it over everything else? Not just on /fit/, but in the sports world?
>>
>>35305399
d'you have any routine to squat 5 times a week? I want to be good at squating (powerlifting) and I only squat 85kg at 85kg bodyweight
>>
>>35305580
People don't prioritise them over everything, IMO deadlift > squat. But each primary movement (bench, squat, deadlift) is just as important as the other.

The reason it's prioritised as a lower body movement is because you can get a lot of volume in. Would you prioritise 20kg chest flyes for sets of 10 over 90+kg bench for sets of 5? No, you concentrate on volume on your compound movements then add in accessories/isolations for extra volume.
>>
>>35305606
You don't need to squat that often to get good at squats, especially at your current numbers. 2-3x per week is adequate.
>>
>>35305399
What's this website called?
>>
>>35305608
Seconded, even if you are doing a hypertrophy program with 8-12 rep ranges and failure sets compounds are going to be the cornerstone because they allow you to move the most amount of weight.

Also, if you don't have a strong squat you won't have a strong deadlift, and if you don't have a strong deadlift, you aren't strong.
>>
>>35306310
>being this new

symmetric strength
>>
squats are GREAT, however don't go for 1RM and PRs, or you will eventually fuck your shit up. Everyone on /fit/ will take a shit on me for saying this, but then again it's mostly dudes in their early 20s that have been lifting for less than 3 years

There is no point in lifting more than 2 plates if your goal is aesthetics. If you can squat 2 plates for 3 reps, then aim for 5 reps, then 10 reps, 15 reps, etc...
>>
>>35306457

I don't see how there's enough overlap that either effects one another
>>
>>35306310
4chan
>>
>>35305399
Because they hit a huge amount of muscle and you can do them multiple times per weak using linear progression to get strong as fuck.

Why wouldn't you want this?
>>
>>35305399
I do squats because they're challenging and not many people can do heavy squats. My squat weight is the number one reason that motivates me to continue lifting.

>>35306488
I know everyone has different goals and all but man... gross.
>>
File: 1450443416231.jpg (19 KB, 493x402) Image search: [Google]
1450443416231.jpg
19 KB, 493x402
>>35305580
>but in the sports world?
well take a fucking wild guess where from most power and strength that's required in sports or any physical activity to that matter comes from
>>
>>35306623
The chesticles of course.
>>
>>35306554
Your legs are bent at the beginning of a deadlift and straight during the lockout, so yes leg muscles are massively important for stability and power, the same way having weak shoulders/upper back leads to an unsteady/weak benchpress. As for squat, you are balancing a lot of weight on top of your spine, and you will need good back strength to keep everything stable throughout the lift.
>>
>>35306556
kek
>>
>>35305580
Actually the best exercise ever is the Deadlift. Unfortunately you can't deadlift 3-4 times a week with the same intensity. You can however do it with squats.

Both of them have great carryover strength potential, meaning that going up in one of them would propel you other lifts too.

In sports you use your entire kinetic chain to create force. Lower body is much stronger than upper body in humans and its easier to make strength gains there. Its very time effective to do squats which would make you a better athlete in the same time period than had you used other exercises.
>>
Anyone have any info on what a "kinetic chain" is? I've heard that thrown around with Squats
>>
File: pxz2hp89ruqqmprmisgf.jpg (56 KB, 636x367) Image search: [Google]
pxz2hp89ruqqmprmisgf.jpg
56 KB, 636x367
Squats are a really good way to a shitty physique

Do heavy deadlifts 3 times a week and glute bridges or hip thrusts instead
>>
>>35306635

Yeah, but it feels like legs are the third most important thing after grip and lower back with regards to deads

You can get away with poor legs since you're only doing 1/10th the ROM of a squat on the way up and anyone can lock out after that. Shit, look at Hugh Jackman
>>
>>35307573

Lobo's Super in Injustice
>>
combine these two studies
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21327794
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24276305
>>
>>35307592
>big quads make your physique shitty

Ok there dyel mixbred faggot
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.