[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Meditation
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8
File: meditating.jpg (138 KB, 944x1170) Image search: [Google]
meditating.jpg
138 KB, 944x1170
How do I into meditating, /fit/? Do I just sit in there in silence or do I chant? Do I think or do I just clear my mind?
>>
>>35284766
you aren't suppose to think about anything. you are suppose to clear your mind. this is exceedingly difficult. meditation music may help.
>>
literally new age bullshit endorsed by the same fuckwits who have tried to bring stoicism to the mainstream. hey bro i read socrates and i sit listening to my breath for 30 minutes like a window licker and now all my troubles have gone away

you are literally wasting your time
>>
>>35284802
you should try meditating
>>
File: 2billionmad.jpg (172 KB, 1201x884) Image search: [Google]
2billionmad.jpg
172 KB, 1201x884
>>35284802
not OP, but you better check yourself mother fucker

>new ages bullshit

>meditation has been practiced for hundreds of years, by many civilizations.

Please, shut the fuck up.
>>
>>35284824
i have

literally OP, just play pokemon, bejeweled, watch a disney movie or read some light fiction, it's about a million times more effective

meditation is for moms and for people so gullible they will pay a bearded homeless man money for his 'transcendental meditation' secrets
>>
I do cardio. everything disappears, there's only my breathing, then that too disappears

I could do the same thing meditating but it would be much harder and take much longer.
>>
>>35284860
please stop posting. you are so stupid it hurts.
>>
>>35284871
This. You are me, desu
>>
>>35284766
Headspace app is pretty cool.
>>
>>35284799
Wrong. For basic meditation you're supposed to focus on your breath while letting thoughts pass, not focusing on them. Not "Not thinking about anything". To not think is nearly impossible.

>>35284802
Read a fucking book. This is wrong on every level.

>>35284860
The mental benefits of meditation are insane, and for the short amount of time per day that you do it for is worth it. Distracting yourself with constant mind-numbers instead of dedicating some time to clear your head and sharpen it is retarded.

>>35284871
Cardio can turn into active meditation just like walks. It's effective.
>>
File: 1449987348671.jpg (16 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1449987348671.jpg
16 KB, 256x256
>>35284802

>new age

people meditated since the beginning of mankind
>>
>>35284968
yes, focusing on your breathing is key, but he didn't ask that did he?

also, how the fuck am I wrong? I got instructions on meditation from an authentic Buddhist temple. Yes, it's extremely difficult to clear your mind, but you are suppose to try. I wasn't suggesting anon could do it the first time.
>>
>>35285006
If they told you "Not to think" Then you are either lying or it was a fake temple. Even Buddhists know that it's impossible not to think and to say that as advice will cause the opposite effect. They should tell you to focus.
>>
File: 1428134645193.jpg (218 KB, 1056x1080) Image search: [Google]
1428134645193.jpg
218 KB, 1056x1080
>>35284802
>literally new age bullshit

Literally none of that you fucking retard.
>>
>>35284968
>Cardio can turn into active meditation just like walks. It's effective.
That's what he meant you cum bucket
>>
>>35285020
It was absolutely not fake, but whatever you say anon.
>>
File: 1.jpg (37 KB, 600x565) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
37 KB, 600x565
You have to learn how to relax before you can even think about meditation. Relaxing yourself deeply has godlike benefits like lowering cortisol levels. Feels good mayn.
>>
I always find myself nodding off. Should I go with it or stop myself?
>>
>>35285020
it was here:

http://www.hoovers.com/company-information/cs/company-profile.YAMATA_SEISHONEN_BUNKA_KENSHU_DOJO_FOUNDATION.61c428d53fdb39d6.html

>inb4 weaboo, I went on a history trip in college to Japan.
>>
>>35284834
>hundreds of years

It's as old as the ancient Indian scripture called the bhagavad-gita, something like 10,000 years old
>>
>>35285056
There's a name for that type of meditation you retard. Now he knows.

It also takes LESS time meditating than it does by running.
>>
>>35285091
agreed.
>>
>>35285103
>It also takes LESS time meditating than it does by running.
Nope
>>
File: startingsit.jpg (2 MB, 518x3648) Image search: [Google]
startingsit.jpg
2 MB, 518x3648
>>
>>35285171
Thanks brah.
>>
File: kathakali-hasta-mudras.jpg (59 KB, 390x322) Image search: [Google]
kathakali-hasta-mudras.jpg
59 KB, 390x322
>>35284766

OP don't be a fag, you can achieve meditation goals doing far more interesting shit. For me it works, but only for like 5-10 mins at a time. I'd much rather stretch in that time or take a nap.

Mind, Body and Spirit.
>>
>>35285170
Yes, it objectively does you down-syndrome faggot. The efficiency of meditating for clearing the mind is unmatched.

Running is easier, but not nearly as deep as a state as normal meditation. Both should be practised because cardio brings benefits outside of a meditative state, but if cardio was a better method/more efficient of meditating Monks would do that instead.
>>
>>35285419
>but if cardio was a better method/more efficient of meditating Monks would do that instead.
Please tell me this is a joke right? People always do the most efficient thing? Always?
>>
>>35284766
Hey OP, when I first started trying I would just sit there comfortably and try to focus on my breath and zone out but I got distracted too easily. One day I decided to try guided meditation and it definitely helped me relax and clear my head.

Just throw on a 20 minute YouTube video, plug headphones in and follow instructions. Don't try too hard not to think about anything, let thoughts come and go as they please and eventually you'll feel the relaxation kick in.
>>
File: 1381328816679.gif (2 MB, 134x134) Image search: [Google]
1381328816679.gif
2 MB, 134x134
>>35284802
nice because you baited a lot of people
>>
>>35284897
This. Headspace will guide you with the basics, which is all you need. And you don't need to put any payment info in at all unless you want more.
>>
You need to silence your inner voice, it takes a special concentration technique which is very difficult to master, someone already mentioned it, google "follow your breath" or something similar.

To ppl saying meditation is bullshit, no, there is scientific evidence behind it, it can help you take control of your thoughts and improve your focus dramatically.
>>
>>35285020
0/10
you absolutely can silence your mind
you silence your mind exactly how you smooth over a bowl of water - not by force or intent.

focusing on breathing is a great beginner way to start to clear out thoughts, anytime thoughts arise, you return to focusing on breathing, and this helps build the habit that will allow you to silence your mind later on down the road.

after that it depends on what meditation technique you use, but in vipassana, you use constant awareness of surroundings to "distract" yourself from thought.

i am not doing this explanation any justice, but suffice to say: if you have not emptied your mind of all thought, you have not been in a meditative state.

also the first few times you enter that state, you will immediately exit it, with the thought "holy shit i did it! wow that was weird!"

but after a while that goes away, and the transition into a meditative state gets gradually easier.

"To get in touch with reality there is an art of meditation... It is the art of temporarily silencing the mind... of stopping the “chatter in the skull”. Of course you can’t force your mind to be silent. That would be like trying to smooth ripples in water with a flat iron. Water become cool and clear only when left alone. ” - alan watts
http://www.mindfullyalive.com/blog/2015/5/30/alan-watts-on-the-art-of-meditation
>>
>>35285435
no, but people who have practiced over centuries the most efficient ways of traversing the human mind have developed some of the more effective methodologies.. just ask sam harris.
>>
http://youtu.be/LL2XUTeoUsM
>>
>>35285070
Falling asleep during meditation is like going on holiday buy staying in bed. You've achieves peace of mind, but aren't there to enjoy it

If you're lacking sleep then just sleep. Otherwise try to be aware of your whole body to stop you falling asleep
>>
>>35284802
literally a blue pilled cuck
>>
>>35285070
i liked the alan watts quote where he talks about being in a position comfortable enough to relax, but too uncomfortable to fall asleep.
>>
>>35285775
Interesting take on that.
>>
>>35285020
Woah, brehs. Not tryna act all Buddhist, but I don't think you practice if you're willing to correct people 24/7 on their methods. Be willing to listen to what the breh says. Maybe there isn't only one way to meditate, keep an open mind. Say what you want, but you don't need to act like people are stupid because you heard it one way or another
>>
chanting, group meditation, breathing exercises and all the otherthings that are often mentioned in context with meditation are really just means to an end. the end being a silenced mind.
i personally find it easiest to meditate after lifting because my body is just exhausted and doesn't really want to do anything. but any method is fine.

>>35284802
the practice is quite a lot older than ''new age''.
don't knock it until you've (seriously) tried it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_xsXnRd_uc

Dude is based as fuck. explains the basics then shuts the fuck up. better than 99% of the guided bullshit you'll find online.
>>
>>35284871

/thread

>amen you sir take the biscuit
>>
>>35284802
WEW LAD
E
W

L
A
D
>>
>>35285742
>"To get in touch with reality there is an art of meditation... It is the art of temporarily silencing the mind... of stopping the “chatter in the skull”. Of course you can’t force your mind to be silent. That would be like trying to smooth ripples in water with a flat iron. Water become cool and clear only when left alone. ”
succinct
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.