[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can I Effectively Build Muscle with Bodyweight Training
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: POSTER FINAL-page-001.jpg (303 KB, 601x1600) Image search: [Google]
POSTER FINAL-page-001.jpg
303 KB, 601x1600
I am 31 years old, 140 pounds and have 13% bodyfat.

I'm interested in building muscle, body definition. Would a bodyweight program accomplish this task as effectively as weight training?

If bodyweight training is okay, is there a recommended program?

I remember doing

http://www.startbodyweight.com/p/about-start-bodyweight-program.html

for a couple weeks with the routine taking one and a half hours. Is this time effective compared to weight training?
>>
>>35258576
body weight training is great, howver it takes a long, long time to see meaningful results and increase strength, weightlifting takes far less time and results are significantly faster.

Plateauing on bodyweight is basically what happens the vast majority of the time.
>>
For sure. Herschel Walker never lifted a weight in his life, and he was yoked. That said, you need to take an intelligent approach. Make sure your program has some kind of overload(getting tougher each week), balance(an even split between pulling and pressing), and variety. For legs, do a fuckload of walking lunges, with a weight vest if you have it.
>>
>>35258576
>Would a bodyweight program accomplish this task as effectively as weight training?
No way. Try SS, or any other noob linear programming routine, for a week, and you'll know it's just night and day.
>>
>>35258598
bruce lee would like to have a word with you... ;-)
>>
>>35258603
just an fyi, bruce used to train daily many hours a day and did weight training too.

which is really part of the point, you can make more gains in less time using weights.

progressive overload is by far easier using weights.
>>
>>35258603
you mean the guy that was going so hard in the gym, he snapped his shit doing good mornings?
>>
>>35258587
>>35258587
Speed of results is important to me.

While I assume they go hand in hand, I'm more interested in the look than the strength at the moment.

>>35258595
Would you agree that it will take longer? I might be interested in adding it to weights later on if progress is not as quick.

>>35258598
Pardon the ignorance. I've seen SS before, but I'm not 100% sure what it is. Is it in the Sticky?

>>35258603
>>35258611
I've seen that Bruce Lee does bodyweights, and doing some of the workouts he did would be cool, but at the moment I'm just looking for definition.'

Thank you all for your responses.
>>
>>35258576
Not, in most cases, bodyweight training will not be as effective, nor as practical for your goals as weight training will be. Weight training is, in my opinion having done both and now predominantly focusing on bodyweight training, a much better option for most people. Less concern about tendonitis in the average individual, less static-holds which cause havoc for the average practitioner, more observable progress, easier increments of intensity increase, more easily adapted to cater for specific injury, MUCH better for legs etc etc.

I'd recommend weights OP. For the same time investment you'll probably be substantially stronger than if you were to invest the same amount of time into bodyweight training, and you'll see more progress, so you'll be more confident in yourself and the program, and thus more likely to continue.
>>
>>35258656
yes its in the sticky, i just realised, you probably haven't read the sticky, so here goes the obligatory-

READ THE FUCKING STICKY
>>
>>35258656
>Pardon the ignorance. I've seen SS before
Starting Strength.
It's a beginner routine, there is a forum about it, but if you're starting out you should read the book by the same name.
There should be links in the sticky (which is the only non-troll part of this board, read it), or in the repository.
>>
>>35258670
lol I have read the sticky. It's just been awhile. I did recall the sticky not mentioning bodyweight training.

Regardless, I thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

>>35258662
I do see opinion tipping strongly in favor of weights.

Since you've done both, do you still practice any bodyweight exercises along with your weight training, or did you abandon it altogether?
>>
>>35258680
Just a couple seconds after >>35258670

I appreciate it.
>>
>>35258716
I predominantly practice bodyweight exercises, stuck a bar up in the back yard and have some portable wooden gymnastics rings to hang off of it for some of the more advanced stuff. I still do weight training, mostly for legs, your squats and deadlifts and RDL's and that sort of thing.

Bodyweight training is a lot of fun in my opinion, and its still a really good workout, but with the other things that you need to consider such as tendon and elbow prep work, and the stress that static-holds place on the body, weight training is better for most people. It develops better maximal strength and power, I think it's better for physique building unless you're hella dedicated and regular with bodyweight training, its easier to see progress. There's a lot of really good information and great routines out there that are proven to work. Unless you want to do a decent amount of self-study and that sort of thing, weight training is probably going to suit your goals better.
>>
>>35258716
>I did recall the sticky not mentioning bodyweight training.
Seriously, guy, the sticky's got very good information. Really, all of the information a noob would want and/or need.
>>
File: thank you and goodbye.jpg (80 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
thank you and goodbye.jpg
80 KB, 1920x1080
>>35258776
I'm past leaning and have fallen into the weight training side.

Thanks for all the advice bros.

>>35258790
Off to the Sticky I go.

Catcha all around
>>
>>35258908
Godspeed anon.
>>
Yes, nigguh, did you even read the Charles Atlas book?

>git gud
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.