[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mental health and stress thread I'm 25 and have been in
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (54 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
54 KB, 1024x768
Mental health and stress thread

I'm 25 and have been in upper management and executive roles since I was 19. This has come with many benefits but the down side is stress a lot. Stress has a lot of negative effects on the body and can shorten ones life considerably. I watched a ted ed video the other day that really outlined the negative effects such as increased risk of stroke, increase in body fat, cells dying quicker than they should and slower healing.

Let's talk about tips to handle stress, because I don't want to work my ass off and be rich just to die at 50
>>
Meditation, cardio and more sleep
>>
When you say meditate do you mean like find times to do it during the day when I'm stressed or after/before work when I'm not so stressed?
>>
Man.... I thought this thread would be a hit. Do none of you guys get stressed?
>>
>>35257953
>"I'm 25 and wildly successful" humble brag

Gee, I have no idea why this wouldn't go over well on 4chan. But real talk, your question has already been answered. Take up some form of meditation (read about, you have options), trim as much fat from your life as possible, don't sacrifice sleep. If you're literally incapable of engaging in some form of meditation for 30 min a day, lifting at least 3 days a week, and devoting 8 hours a day to being horizontal, you're going to be stressed and need to work less. Other than that, just git gud.
>>
>>35257902
You have to meditate everyday at the same time, it's better that way.
Start with 10 minutes everyday, then make your way up to 20, then 30 etc...
For example, instead of watching tv before going to work, take the time to meditate. What l recommend you do is stretch your entire body, do 50 squat and 20 pushups, and only THEN stretch. After stretching, meditate. You might also want to get into lucid dreaming, it's a great way to fight stress. Make your own research, there's a lot to know about meditation and lucid dreaming everywhere, just remember to stick to it
>>
>>35258020
>>35258031

Thanks guys, what is your definition of meditation? Litteraly sitting somewhere comfy and trying to zen your mind like pic related in the op or is that just the cliche meditation and doing it properly is nothing like that.
I'm aware that the answers are out there in Google and stuff. But like most threads, was just looking for opinions of like minded people.
>>
sit indian style or lie down on your bed, close your eyes and clear out all thought

dont try to sleep
>>
>>35257858

Similar story. Got recruited by an investment bank while still at university. Spent 10 years working in junior and middle exec positions at ibanks & hedge funds. Was burnt out by the end. Overweight, constantly ill, substance abuse, depression & anxiety.

Don't use drugs or booze to relieve stress. Do lift. Eat clean. Meditate. Do cardio. Spend time with family. Have meaningful relationships instead of casual encounters. It's easier said than done because you only learn you need to live clean after living bad desu.
>>
>>35258088
Basically, sit down somewhere where you won't be bothered (not your bedroom if possible) and try to NOT think of anything, empty your mind and take deep breaths. Try to visualize an object in your mind, like a leaf or an apple
>>
>>35258114
Thank you. I will do my best to avoid doing the same. I go through spurts of treating my body like a temple followed by falling off the wagon and not caring that much about what I eat. I don't drink that often and do drugs less than once a year. Could go the rest of my life without a line of coke and I wouldn't be bothered one bit. Meaningful relationships will be a bit harder for me to grasp. Fast woman are probably my biggest downfall
>>
>>35258144
This sounds promising. I'll give this a go tomorrow if I get a lunch break otherwise I'll do it before gym
>>
>>35258088
There's a few screencaps of guides to meditation floating about if any Anons have them. I found just relaxing and focusing on your breathing worked. Just focus on breathing and think of nothing else. You'll eventually be in a trance. It's worth doing some googling though, lots of easy guides on there.

And just anecdotally, force yourself to take time off. Even if it's just a few hours to listen to music or catch up on sleep. I think the performance increase is worth the lost time.
>>
>>35257858
just die already
nobody cares about "the stupid unfriendly slob" anyway
>>
File: nic.jpg (41 KB, 570x300) Image search: [Google]
nic.jpg
41 KB, 570x300
I work as a chef in an "upper scale" restaurant. I deal with stress with alcohol, drugs and berating incompetent employees.

I'm very good at what I do and seldom fuck up, so the boss doesn't give a shit if I'm on speed at work as long as I don't dose at the premises.
>>
>>35258159
Thing with meditation is your mind will flood with random ass thoughts all the time, and if you fight it, you'll end up more stressed than when you started.

I'm no expert, but what I do is try and focus on one simple thing, my favourite at the moment is looking out to the sea, tide coming in when I breath in, going out when I breath out, and when random shit enters your head, you just gently bring yourself back to your focus. If you get pissed off you're being distracted and can't do it, you're doing it wrong. The point of meditation, imo, is to allow your brain to do what it wants, allow these thoughts to come into your head, but don't do anything with them, just gently bring your focus back when you notice you're thinking of other things.

After a while, your thoughts become calmer, your focus because stronger without you trying, and you'll be able to use this in your daily life, meaning you'll be stressed less and be able to concentrate on tasks longer.
>>
>>35258554
Nah son, you have to make them go away. If you can't, you'll never meditate correctly
>>
>>35258396
A-Anthony Bourdain?
>>
>>35258694
When you fight it, you're not meditating.

It will go away over time, you have to train yourself to be completely passive about the random thoughts popping in, training yourself to gently remain focused.

Fighting the thoughts is the equivalent of trying to fall asleep by watching a clock, worrying about how much time you have left to sleep, and how tired you're going to be when doing that extremely important thing you have to do when you wake up.
>>
>>35258731
If you let your thoughts overwhelm you, you can't meditate. After 4-5 30 minutes sessions l got rid of them
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.