[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it best to drink protein shakes before or after working out?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: 2015-10-18 15.15.04.png (148 KB, 1021x586) Image search: [Google]
2015-10-18 15.15.04.png
148 KB, 1021x586
Is it best to drink protein shakes before or after working out? Or both? How long before or after working out?
>>
if you take them anally they kick in quicker
if you don't believe me ask anyone relevant.
>>
There was a study that effectively debunked the post workout anabolic window myth and showed that protein synthesis actually doubled if you took protein (subjects used 16g of 'high quality milk proteins') before a workout as opposed to taking protein after a workout which had a measly increase of 7%.

Unfortunately the picture was on my old phone so you might have to dig around on google.
>>
>>35247100
This is true. And I'm very relevant, just ask my mom.
>>
>>35247080
>le anabolic window meme
As long as you fit your protein macros within 20 (twenty) (XX) hours before and/or after the workout, it won't literally make a single difference unless you're competing for Mr. Olympia.
And don't get me on protein shakes, the jewisher meme in the fitness industry.. you can efficiently process no more than 30~35 g of proteins per meal, if you want to get more than 100 you need more than 4 meals with at least a couple of hours in-between. You do not need shakes at all if you have a decent diet.
>>
>>35247100
can confirm.
>>
>>35247100
>take them anally
Injecting them is way faster
>>
>>35247137
how else are you gonna get it up your ass?
i sometimes put a scoop of whey in, then add water and twerk it up. works waaaay better.
>>
>>35247149
same. sometimes i gotta push it deeply using my big-sized dildo but it's not that often. you can also add creatine with it for maximum gains.
>>
>>35247129
Yes but shakes are cheaper than meals so whey isnt bad idea
>>
>>35247129
the "whey is useless" meme is also retarded. it is useful cause of its conveniency. i never relied on whey to hit my daily protein intake goal but it has helped me a lot when i just couldnt eat enough meat for whatever reason or there wasn't anything at home to cook.
>>
>>35247208
>meat
enjoy your literal cancer
>>
>>35247216
>implying I care about cancer or dying
>implying chances you get cancer by eating meat actually matters
>>
>>35247216
shit genetics = cancer
master genetics = gainssss
>>
>you can efficiently process no more than 30~35 g of proteins per meal, if you want to get more than 100 you need more than 4 meals with at least a couple of hours in-between. You do not need shakes at all if you have a decent diet.

what a fucking retard, I can only imagine looking at the mirror at some bearded reddit keyboard scientist with 25% bodyfat.

>m-muh protein limit!
>IIFYM!
>keto!!
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (7 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
7 KB, 480x360
>>35247208
>conveniency
>>
>>35247080
when i have protien i drink if befor when im eating at home, i drink it when im lifting weights replacing it with water and after gym when im hoe eating i drink it
>>
>>35247335
yes, sometimes it's convenient for me to just drink a cup of 50g protein at night instead of actually cooking food, autist.
>>
>>35247129
>you can efficiently process no more than 30~35g proteins per meal.

No.

Your body will absorb all the protein you put into it, over a longer period of time. What you're talking about is whether there is a maximum anabolic response at 30-35g, I don't actually know. Never looked into it.
>>
File: >anabolic window.jpg (59 KB, 1280x781) Image search: [Google]
>anabolic window.jpg
59 KB, 1280x781
>>35247262
Your post doesn't make sense and the quote you're proposing make zero references to IIFYM or keto degeneracies (there's a reference only to a "decent diet"). Actually there's zero content in your post if we trim the namecalling portions in it.
2bh what did I expect to read on a republican "make merrica fuck yeah great again" forum

>>35248001
>No.
Actually, yes.
http://www.precisionnutrition.com/protein-limit
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/89/1/161.long
>after a weight training session, muscle protein synthesis is stimulated maximally at the 20g dose. Interestingly, there were no further increases in muscle protein synthesis at the 40g dose.
>no further increases in muscle protein synthesis
>Ingestion of 20 g intact protein is sufficient to maximally stimulate MPS and APS after resistance exercise
>Finally, dietary protein consumed after exercise in excess of the rate at which it can be incorporated into tissue protein stimulates irreversible oxidation.
>irreversible oxidation.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1113/jphysiol.2012.244897/full
>This study shows that the distribution of protein intake is an important variable to promote attainment and maintenance of peak muscle mass.
>the distribution of protein intake is an important variable
> In conclusion, 20 g of whey protein consumed every 3 h was superior to either PULSE or BOLUS feeding patterns for stimulating MPS throughout the day.
>20 g was superior

Source for pic:
http://jap.physiology.org/content/106/5/1692

TL;DR Your body will absorb the caloric content of the proteins, yes, but won't use them for MPS. If possible, try to take no more than 30g of good quality proteins at once.
>>
File: 1439420226034.jpg (161 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1439420226034.jpg
161 KB, 1280x720
do it before, during and after
>>
>>35248183
Well shit.

Too lazy to go through the studies to look for anything contradictory.

Still, it's not going to change my eating habits.
>>
if you don't have a steady supply of scoops into your system you're doing it terribly wrong
>>
>>35248183
Do you realize that those studies don't back up your claim?
>>
>>35248298
>Too lazy to go through the studies to look for anything contradictory.
You'd find none. But you're lazy to even read the crystal-clear conclusions of the studies (including the latter) that have been peer-reviewed and cited since 2008 (the last one proposed is from 2013). Interesting that you are only worried to falsify the studies proposed.
>Still, it's not going to change my eating habits.
Nobody asked for you to change anything. You have knowledge resources at your fingertips and you decide what to do with them. Best of luck to you.

>>35248359
Please shove words in my mouth about what you perceive my claim actually is. My only claim is the TL;DR in that post of mine you're quoting.
>>
>>35248202

Dang, Rushins are sckurry. What's their system?
>>
>>35248409
Wasn't actually implying I'd find any, and it's due to the fact that people have a habit of cherry-picking studies to fit their agenda.

Don't really enjoy reading studies unrelated to my field, can't understand shit and skipping to conclusions/reading abstracts doesn't give enough info.
>>
>>35248202
This. Protein takes time to digest and enter the bloodstream. Give that muh anabolic window is like ~36 hours long, timing is therefore irrelevant but you'll want steady intake both prior to and long afterwards lifting.

Whey has the slight advantage of hitting the bloodstream faster than meat/dairy, but given you're eating throughout the day anyways, a protein shake is hardly different than chicken+rice
>>
>>35247080
Before

Drinking it after could strain your abdomen
>>
>>35248749
this guy knows what's up

scoop 24/7 so the gains goblin doesn't catch your anabolic window off guard
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.