[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can you bench press heavy with these? or do they feel awkward as shit?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: o9VlC.jpg (8 KB, 448x176) Image search: [Google]
o9VlC.jpg
8 KB, 448x176
can you bench press heavy with these? or do they feel awkward as shit?
>>
>>35241334
With dumbbells? No, it's impossible
>>
not recommended. I would rather do barbell flys
>>
Sure, dumbbell press is a thing. Arguably, they work your stabilizers and activate your pecs a little better than a barbell. Plus, you don't have to do the "roll of shame" if you fail a rep.
>>
A lad at my gym regularly loads them to 70~ kilos for benching and upwards of 100 for rowing and they seem to hold up well enough.
>>
>>35241334
yeah think, you cant get more than like 40kg on each if youre lucky, and desu 80kg isnt much.
>>
>>35241352
What. No it isnt.
You are thinking of barbell bench press, not dumbbell bench press.
Both are bench presses, each uses a different weight
>>
>>35241363

Now that being said I suppose it depends on your definition of "heavy". If you're benching 3pl8 just to warm up, then no, your gym probably doesn't have dumbbells heavy enough for you.

For an old fat guy like me, I'm currently working out with 155 on the barbell, or 55 dumbbells depending on which I feel like doing that day.
>>
>>35241334
sometimse
>>
>>35241387
It was sarcastic you mongo.
>>
>>35241415
around 55-60 kg
>>
>>35241334
why would you buy non-olympic bb bars?
>>
>>35241788
olympic dumbbells have shit collars that will fall all the time
>>
>>35241334
it's a pain in the ass since you have to retighten the spindles after every set (momentum of the plates spinning WILL loosen them, and you don't want 5x10lbs plates falling on your face)
>>
>>35241363
You sound just like my little brother with the way you speak.
>>
>>35241866
>5x10lbs plates falling on your face
Why not?
>>
Toss 45s on there and see how it feels.

Touch the plate to your chest.
>>
File: watbulb.png (104 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
watbulb.png
104 KB, 500x500
>>35241824
>shit collars that will fall all the time
wat?
>>
>>35241992
im talking about olympic dumbells. good luck when youre doing tricep extensions/pullovers and 100lbs fall on your face

and yes, if i start working out @ home i'll buy a bar first, but i wanted some dumbells to do other exercises too
>>
depending on the thickness of your plates, you might get each to 60-65lbs using 10lbs plates

if you want more, go to the hardware store and get some lengths of 3/4" pipe nipple (real outer diameter is 1.05") from the plumbing section. You can get 18" and 24" lengths before you have to get it cut for you. Black iron is fine and will hold almost anything you can put on it.

Now get some 1.063 shaft collars. One piece collars are fine for the inside because they're a bitch to get on, but once you get them in position & tightened you're OK. Get two piece collars for the outside.

Even with some cheapie plates I got off craigslist, I can load 110lb on each 18" handle. 24" ones are usually reserved for one armed rows or lighter walks.
>>
>>35242037

shaft collars also work on olympic bars as well.

Depending on the precise diameter of the bar you may need 1.9375", 2" or 50mm to get the tightest fit.

I've got some 2" ones I use for damned near everything that I need dead tight. They will hold more than you can place against them if you tighten them properly
>>
>>35242073
what if you use 25lb plates? looks like you still have a good range of motion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tKiWa8xA6ac
>>
>>35242101

I guess if you have ones that aren't too extreme in diameter you can do what you want.

For me, the advantage to DB bench is that you have an extra degree of movement across the body (more stability work) and that you can lower the bar below the top of the chest.
>>
>>35242101
beginner here, is there any benefit to the slight rotation of the wrists during the motion or is it just a case of what's comfortable?
>>
>>35241368
70kgs on each DB? jesus here i thought my 40kg DB BP was finally getting respectable.
>>
>>35242231
More chest engagement and less chance of shoulder injury
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.