[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hookgrip
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: static1.squarespace.com.jpg (226 KB, 600x442) Image search: [Google]
static1.squarespace.com.jpg
226 KB, 600x442
Hi guys

Who here uses hookgrip for heavy lifting? I think about using it because i hate alternate grip and want to avoid straps if possible. My question is do you feel like the sensation of your thumb has changed with using it. I try to avoid straps but if it's at the expense of losing nerves in my thumbs i'd rather go with straps
>>
no, i dont use the memegrip

i prefer the standard non-retarded grip
>>
I have shorter fingers so I can barely get my middle finger over my thumb... that and it hurts like hell mid-lift. I just double overhand until I am at higher weight then just use alternate when I cant grip anymore.
>>
hookgrip is for cleans/snatches only unless you like destroying your thumbs.
>>
>>35227684
Went to hook after torn bicep 10 yrs ago, never looked back. You'll get used to it.
>>
>>35227701
You wot m8?

I do oly lifts so obviously I use hook grip but if you have chalk I think it's a way better grip for dreads too. Really secure, super hard to lose a lift due to grip failure. Also it's great because maybe your dumb ass will take the time to learn cleans while you're at it.
>>
>>35227684
Hookgrip is something you can't fucking learn, its like if you din't learn two write with both hands in first few years of school you never will, I personally keep my thumb extended along the bar
>>
>>35227684
Always strapped when I hit the club
>>
File: 1449020347697.jpg (193 KB, 1024x1016) Image search: [Google]
1449020347697.jpg
193 KB, 1024x1016
My gym does not have a DL bar
>>
>>35237701
>>35227783
>>35227861
Holy shit, it's almost as if nobody here even lifts
>>
File: watfrog.jpg (18 KB, 386x384) Image search: [Google]
watfrog.jpg
18 KB, 386x384
>>35227783
>you can't learn how to wrap your fingers around your thumb
>>
File: 1432335944025 (1).png (1001 KB, 955x957) Image search: [Google]
1432335944025 (1).png
1001 KB, 955x957
>>35227783
>Hookgrip is something you can't fucking learn
>literally just put your fingers over your thumb
>>
>losing nerves in my thumbs

I've never even heard of this, what dumbass came up with that idea? Is this bait like everything else itt?
>>
Hookgrip destroying your thumbs is a meme as well.

At most you are going to have some slight discomfort and pain initially, but gradually it goes away as you just learn to let your hand and fingers relax in the grip.
>>
File: 1424290286658.gif (494 KB, 500x259) Image search: [Google]
1424290286658.gif
494 KB, 500x259
>>35228016
>>35228064
NEWFAGS OUT OF MY BOARD REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
i used to hook grip, but these days i find myself not needing to.

for most heavy pulling exercises i do (BB rows, T-bar rows, pull ups) I find that using hook grip doesn't let me target my lats as much as I'd like to. Normally for those I find a 4 fingered grip best, with the bar sitting in the hook of my fingers.

Deadlifts I find easiest using a mixed grip, though I used hook grip for a while before.

Hook grip is obsolete for me, though I may use it again in the future.
>>
I double overhand up to 140kg in deadlifts, then switch to mixed grip. If you tear a bicep from that you're a moron who never learned to keep your arms straight, especially the arm with supinated grip
>>
i think it gave me nerve damage. the inner tip of my right thumb is perpetually numb.
>>
>>35227701
kill urself family
>>
>>35227684
I tried that pronated and my thumb tendon is throbbing.
What did I just do?
>>
ITT faggots with feminine hands trying to rub their feminine dicks
hookgrip doesnt hurt you fucking gaylords
>>
File: ayybb.jpg (26 KB, 425x640) Image search: [Google]
ayybb.jpg
26 KB, 425x640
>>35230059
>implying gays are a bunch of weak pansies

What are you, 40 years old?
>>
>>35227684
I hookgrip on deads past 2pl8. solid as fuck, never have to focus on holding the bar, only the lift.
only time i use straps is when I go rock climbing and don't give my hands enough time to recover.
>>
I hookgrip because I dabble in the olympic lifts. Most I've ever cleaned is 203lbs and the most I've ever deadlifted with a hook is 335.
>>
I do hook because of a back issue that mixed fucks with. It's great after the first week you just lose skin on your thumb tip
>>
>>35227684

started using straps since 3months orso, never looked back. fuck worying about grip trying to hold on, with straps being able to do way more reps, destroying yourself and getting stronger is much better then...worrying over grip.

Grip can be trained in other ways on off days and whatnot.

Just use hookgrip untill it gets to a certain weight youd use straps on, that way can get used to it, and not fuck up your working sets.

tl;tr

Hookgrip untill working weight, straps on working weight, train grip seperately, fuck worying about grip on working sets.
>>
File: autisticpowers.jpg (12 KB, 467x359) Image search: [Google]
autisticpowers.jpg
12 KB, 467x359
>>35228115
>mfw I've been here on and off since 2011 but can't keep up with all these dank new mimes
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.