[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Steel Toe/Heavy Boots and Fitness
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: steeltoecutawayboots.jpg (82 KB, 400x393) Image search: [Google]
steeltoecutawayboots.jpg
82 KB, 400x393
What would the effects of wearing steel toes all winter be for someone who walks around a fair amount (including lots of stairs) be? By effects I mean calf gains or potential knee or ankle complications. Basically just a pros and cons of regular weighted boot use during every day walking.
Also for fun what about if used while jogging/biking/cardio.

>worthy of note: when I come home every day my calves feel a soreness not unlike the soreness after calf raises. I personally wear steel toes often.
>>
The weight is probably negligible. I used to wear steel toed boots at work and didn't see much in the way of calf gains.
>>
>>35222770
It does make a significant difference. If you add some kilos to a car you won't notice a difference but if you use heavier rims you will definitiely notice a difference.

Try to go actual hiking with heavy boots. Any militarybro will agree. And when you get tired and take something out of your backpack you will not really notice a difference but if you change shoes to light sneakers you will feel like flying over the ground.
>>
>>35222916
Well yes but still, that steel toe would need to weigh around 10 kilos for injuries to occur
>>
>>35222950
I didn't mean to say that injuries can occur. My point is that it can be beneficial for the legs if you actually walk a lot on not just stand around.
>>
>>35222998
Fair enough, I was somewhat focused on OPs question about complications.
>>
lack of ankle dorsiflexion.
>>
>>35223046
Explanation?
>>
>>35223134
In order to work your calve you need to bend your ankle and contract it, this boot won't allow you to do it.
>>
>>35223134
Boots restrict how much your ankle can move. If you wear them frequently you will likely have very stiff ankles. But if you do ankle mobility exercises to make up for it you'll be fine.
>>
>>35222765
I used to wear steel toes with no ankle support ~10 a day
Got sore calves for a while but no gains sadly
>>
I used to have such to work. No differences but some calluses because these shoes are pretty rough.

You mai feel soreness from walking all day and climbing stairs, but this pretty logic.
>>
>>35222916
"a pound on the foot is five on the back." is common hiking advice. I really noticed a difference in my post hike fatigue when I switched from big heavy boots to light hiking shoes.

But I mean, if it's accurate, a typical steel toe boot is only a couple pounds heavier, at most, than a typical shoe, which would still only be the equivalent of putting a 5 or 10lb plate in your backpack.
>>
>>35222765
Modern boots are made to weigh very little extra because the added weight had negative long term effects on the people wearing them.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.