[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /fit/ I need some help. So I just got back from working out
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: human-kidney-thumbnail.jpg (9 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
human-kidney-thumbnail.jpg
9 KB, 320x240
Hey /fit/ I need some help. So I just got back from working out and my dad smelled my breath and said that it smelled like ammonia, which is a sign of kidney failure. Can anyone give me some insight about what the fuck is going on. I don't drink, I work out 5 times a week. I'm slightly overweight, around 20% BF, and my diet consists of protein and veggies mainly, around 100-120 grams a day. I drink a lot of water and have never smoked. What's going on???
>>
Ketosis?
>>
>>35211863
Ya kind of, I still eat bread and veggies with carbs it's just limited slightly.
>>
>>35211857
Likely ketosis. If you are diabetic, potentially ketoacidosis.
If your kidneys are melting, you would feel much worse
>>
>>35211901
Ammonia smelling breath is a side effect if ketosis?
>>
>>35211857
Ammonia breath is not a side effect of kidney failure due to ketosis. That would be acetone breath. I know that sounds like it doesn't matter, but the two smell very different. Ammonia breath happens due to bacteria in your stomach that use ammonia to neutralise the acidic environment.
>>
>>35211919

Diabetic here. When I get ketoacidosis my breath changes noticeably. It usually smells sweet like some spoiled fruit juice though, not like ammonia.
>>
>>35211857
Uremic fetor is the medical term for the smell of ammonia on the breath. It happens in kidney failure as result of the body's inability to clear urea as urine. This causes urea levels to build up in the body until they begin offgassing as ammonia in the breath and crystallising on the skin. YOU ALMOST CERTAINLY DO NOT HAVE THIS. You could go to your GP and get your kidney function tests / UECs done if you're worried but false positives in gym rats is really common . Like really common, especially if you're on creatine or a keto diet. If you're doc's good then he probs wouldn't give you the tests and would just interview you for symptoms.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/245296-clinical#b1 Here's an article to read if you're curious.

An alternative is fetor hepaticus. Not usually described as ammonia-like but the scent is hard to describe so some people get confused. Also something you don't have. You'd be showing other signs of liver failure way before you develop 'the breath of the dead'. But if you're worred you can get some liver function tests. I wouldn't waste your money or time though.

Finally the sweet / fruity / nail-polish remover-like / acetone-y smell of ketoacidosis. Possible if you're diabetic or going for a hardcore keto diet. Most likely reason for someone on /fit/ to have wierd smelling breath. Anoher thing you could go to your vet and mention. blood sugar levels or some shit might be useful (but not as useful as your doc just taking the time to ask you some questions).

Honestly it's probably just a once of event with no clinical significance what so ever. Or you've just got odd halitosis. If it persists or you develop other symptoms then I'd see a doc but right now I wouldn't bother.

I could keep typing but fuck it this is my time off.
>>
>>35213191
>Anoher thing you could go to your vet and mention. blood sugar levels
>Vet
Fuck I don't even.
>>
>>35211957
This. Normally it's bad fruit.

>>35211901
>If your kidneys are melting, you would feel much worse
I always hate this kind of advice. It's almost designed to kill off the hardiest people.

>>35211857
Just go to a hospital or doctor OP. It's probably all the piss you've been drinking but better safe than sorry.
>>
so ur whole basis of this diagnosis for KF

is

ur fucking dad (probably a retard given his son is also a retard) thought ur breath smelt like ammonia.

and so naturally that means u have KF

honestly ur a fucking retard please die
>>
Your dad is full of shit and so is your mouth. Unless your urine is brown or darker you shouldn't have to worry about kidney failure. Even if you do have symptoms, glomerularnephritis and other forms of nephritis can be bacterial and fixed with antibiotics.
>>
>>35211857
Here's an idea instead of coming to /fit/, go to the
D O C T O R
O
C
T
O
R
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.