[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do You really need incline bench?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: 1442436995524.jpg (75 KB, 540x748) Image search: [Google]
1442436995524.jpg
75 KB, 540x748
Do You really need incline bench?
>>
>>35208342
depends
>>
although true that flat bench stimulates the entire pec, you can emphasize the higher or lower pecs with incline and decline movements respectively.

Guys who only flat bench tend to develop more bottom heavy chests, more boob like if you know what I mean. As a natural you will never get those extremely full pecs from top to bottom with great cleavage but you can definately alter benching angles to emphasize what you want in your chest.
>>
>>35208342
only if you want mad chest seperation gains
>>
I do incline DB one Push day and Flys the second Push day. Thoughts
>>
Fuck. I have gyno and all I have available is a flat bench. How can I train upper chest more with only a flat bench?
>>
File: 1440947314177.jpg (38 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1440947314177.jpg
38 KB, 500x500
>>35210516

Reverse grip bench press actually seems to have higher upper pec activation than the incline bench press, according to a few studies. Try that.
>>
>>35210423
cut the flies, they suck
>>
i enjoy incline pressing because it requires less technique than the bench

i also think it has more carryover to sports (i like to box)
>>
>>35208342
If you want a full upper chest and not a couple of titties
>>
>>35211437
Can I just do incline DB press instead of a bench for chest? Or am I losing out too much not doing the bench?
>>
>>35211715
Incline benching still works the whole pectoral, it just puts more emphasis on the clavicular head. (Upper chest) Unless you're a powerlifter you really dont need flat bench whatsoever. Some people say it's a staple, some people say it's useless. It's your choice completely, but I personally don't flat bench. Only real benefit to BB flat benching is how easy it is to progressively overload.
>>
File: natty king.jpg (97 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
natty king.jpg
97 KB, 640x480
>>35208342
natty king says yes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YSaxZBDev0

most people's clavicular heads are underdeveloped
>>
flat bb + ohp works for me

i used to do a lot of incline, but stopped doing it around the time i reached ~205x6 cause it started agitating my shoulders hard
(always used the 35deg bench)
nowadays any form of incline (even with dbs) tends to be hard on my shoulders
>>
When will the bench press meme die?
>>
>people unironically think that there is an upper and lower pec
>>
>>35212476
When fregs find a new way to shift large numbers with their arms.
>>
>>35212575
clean and jerk
>>
>>35212506
>people unironically think there isn't
Go look at a pec for once in your life. The pec major is split from the pec clavicle
>>
>>35212590
top fucking kek
pec major is a single muscle which has sternocostal and clavicular head
>>
>>35212618
You literally just admitted there are two separate heads in your pec major
>>
>>35212633
yes there are
a single muscle which has two different heads

upper chest isn't different muscle, it's just diferent head of the same muscle
>>
>>35212641
You can have exercises that target the heads differently like biceps.
Just because you can't isolate the pec clavicle doesn't mean you can't work it harder. Or else you're telling me you can't target different parts of your traps or triceps either
>>
>>35212668

Bad example with the traps. They're three different muscles, not three heads of the same muscle.
>>
>>35212633
>two heads means its a completely different muscle
you aren't going to hit the bottom head and not the top head of the chest just like you won't hit one head of the quad and not the others
>>
>>35212668
>>35212674
i never said that
i just said that there is only 1 pectoral muscle (not counting the pec minor which is underneath pec major)
most people here think there are 3 different chest muscles and each is targetrted by either decline, flat or incline bench

of course you can put more emphasis on one or the other by changing the angle of push (but the question is how much of an overall difference there will be)
>>
>>35212674
>>35212697
Never said you could.

At this point, the argument has devolved to splitting hairs, so enjoy your night
>>
>>35212674
>They're three different muscles
not really, its actually considered one big muscle that just functionally has different regions. other than that and the insertions, they have the same innervation and the same sheet of fascia. its like the lower pec, its lower fibers perform more downward transverse adduction and the upper fibers perform more of a straight transverse adduction. traps just have more variety in the fuction
>>
>>35211437
ignore this, flyes are great.
>>
For aesthetics or general health or whatever I don't think so. Bench and OHP together do all you want.

It's got good carry over to many sports motions though. Shoving, punching, throwing. It's good if you do one of the ones like it.
>>
why not do all the chest exercises and call it a day?
>>
>>35212812
because if you can do more than 3 exercises on a muscle then you're wasting your time because you're not going nearly heavy enough
>>
>>35212823
a shit physique to go along with this comment, I guarantee it
>>
>>35210681
>reverse grip bench press
Sounds like itd chop my head off if I fuck up
>>
>>35208342
>incline bench
>do it anyway
>>
>>35212582
>clean and jerk
>a test of arm strength at all

get a load of this powerlifter.
>>
>>35213568
>powerlifter
Google that word newfriend :)
>>
>>35212403
>natty
he isn't natty mate
>>
>>35213461
its not suicide thumbless grip, its reverse grip
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.