[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dumbell vs barbell bench press
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1
File: 31dDLgFGfdL.jpg (14 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
31dDLgFGfdL.jpg
14 KB, 500x250
I'm starting to like dumbell more and more over barbell bench and thinking about dropping barbell bench all together, what are your opinions and preferences?

Kind of would make me sad tho because barbell bench is looked at as THE chest exercise
>>
>>35173642
Barbell -> strength
Dumbbell -> hypertrophy

There's a place for both, but focus on whichever is your goal. For example I'll do dumbbell for 3 weeks then barbell for 1.
>>
Very common view, and one that agree with. After switching to dumbbell press, I finally have some chest muscle for the first time in my life and can feel my chest doing most of the pushing.
>>
>>35173678
Why is this? Sounds vaguely like broscience but I'm willing to learn.
>>
>>35173689
this is exactly the reason why i want to drop barbell bench, i just don't feel a lot in my chest when i do barbell bench, when i do dumbbell bench i can definitely feel my chest working
>>
>>35173642
If you are not have both dumbells and a barbell available just switch between the exercises
>>
>>35173642
Why dont you just do push ups
>>
>>35173769
Then just drop the barbell bench. Fuck the people who say you need any lift in particular; if the barbell bench isn't an effective exercise for you, don't do it. Dumbbell benching and flies on flat and incline benches provides plenty of potential exercises.
>>
>>35173769
grip the bar wider
>>
>>35173769

Just flare out your elbows bro
>>
>>35173700
it is broscience
>>
I dropped bench too because fuck it, i still do close grip bench volume sets for accessory because it's really nice and helped my weighted dips a lot.
>>
>>35173700
Because you can lift more weight with barbells, more weight = more strength.
>>
>>35173829
Not him, but I feel wide grip very awkward on my joints. How to solve this?
>>
>>35173642

dumbell > barbell. dumbell = better range of motion.
>>
>>35173878
Start light, build up from there. Form>ego
>>
>>35173642
I do both, but no fucking way am I dealing with 150+ pound dumbbells (not that my gym even has any). At some point it becomes way too cumbersome to lift heavy with dumbbells in my opinion, but if you like lifting with them, do it, doesn't really make a difference unless you want to powerlift competitively.
>>
Barbell, because more weight --> more strenght
>>
>>35173814
Increased resistance training ==> strength
>>
If you can't feel barbell bench press in your chest then you are doing it wrong. Simple as that.
>>
>>35173878

to be 100% no bullshit Honest with a Capital H.... use a wide grip and a smaller range of motion.

you're not a powerlifter. you're not trying to prove anything to anyone. doing exercises in new ranges of motion will do more for your flexibility and mobility than stretching (stay controlled though don't tear your shit).
>>
>>35176383
This. A strong bench press should engage the pecs so there's no doubt you'd feel it.
>>
>>35173700
It is broscience. Thouugh I think barbell is better for the Deadlift and squat obviously, dumbells deadlifts are just kinda awkard. And Goblet squats are a functionally different lift than a regular squat.

I would say you could still develop very strong shoulders doing single arm DB press, and DB bench is IMO much better for chest development and far less stressful on your shoulders and elbows. People put all the focus on the bench press, but it's a fairly unimportant lift in terms of functionality and pushing your numbers on it can be very stressful to your upper body.

There are a bunch of ways to do rows with dumbells or barbells so whichever probably doesnt matter. The only ones that are really better suited for strength are pendlay rows. And even then a proper T Bar row is almost the same movement anyway.
>>
My shitty used barbell has the weights too close together for proper grip, only use it for squats and close grip bench now, fug
>>
>he actually fell for the bench press meme

Literally the memest lift
>>
Am I the only one havinh trubble with getting the dumbells in position? To press a 30kg dumbell is no problem but to lift it off the floor with one arm is killing me
>>
>>35173642
Warm up with dumb bells and finish off witb barbells. You get some stabiliser muscle work out without limiting the weight you're lifting. Really a why not have both situated imo
>>
>>35179724
Do shoulder accessories every workout
>>
>>35173689
>>35173769
>dumbbell press > bench press
I'll tell you a secret: cable press > dumbbell press
>>
My chest grew a lot after some months of dumbbell bench press, but I don't know if that's because I changed my rep scheme from 3x5 to 3x12.

If you can't feel the barbell bench press in your chest your form is probably wrong. When I do heavy bench presses with a barbell I sure as hell get a chest pump and it's easier on my shoulders than the dumbbells. The are a lot of stabilizers used in the DB bench press though so your pecs are rarely going to be the limiting factor.

I would do barbell bench for general strength and then flys for chest hypertrophy. Flys blow any kind of bench press or machine out of the water.
>>
>>35179767
I switched to floor DB press from just a DB press and never looked back
Safe for shoulders and easier to get into position
Still doing incline bench press with BB, which is also easier on shoulders and better for mass
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.