[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Low carb diet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
I've gone overweight recently from eating too many carbs. So I said fuck it, I'll go on a low carb diet to shed that weight as well as upping the amount of exercise I'm doing.

But now people are telling me that a low carb diet cuts from muscle more than than from fat. Okay fine, firstly I know all this protein I'm eating should help muscle growth and also I think I'll just research this online and see what's said. Well I'm getting a lot of conflicting info on that end.

So I'm coming to you /fit/; the goal is simply this: I want to drop about 10 to 15lbs and generally keep it off. Should I forge ahead with a low carb diet + increased exercise or should I be going around what I'm eating differently?
>>
>Low carb diet
>I've gone overweight recently from eating too many carbs
stopped reading there
just drop your calories and fucking stick to the diet. if you like carbs, fine, eat carbs, if not, don't. makes no difference as long as amount of calories is adequate
>>
>>35158421
Why not just try stuffing your piehole less in general, and moving around more? Its not fucking rocket science here. "I gained weight because carbs", no you gained weight because youre a fatass that doesn't take responsibility. Read the sticky or gtfo
>>
.ykcits eht daeR
>>
>>35158554
>>35158580
>>35158586

This was a seriously high carb diet though: A hell of a lot of bread and not really any junk food or sugary stuff.

I mean obviously cutting calories + exercise is a fundamental part of this and I'm already doing it. I just trying to get what I'm eating right as I cut calories and exercise more.
>>
>>35158605
It doesn't matter how many carbs you were eating. Consume less calories than you use and you will lost weight. Period.
>>
>>35158421
If you were serious about trying out keto, you could have taken the time to read about it and form an opinion. You did not, alas nobody will bother to do your homework for you.

Warmest regards,
Jeff Seid
>>
>>35158421

>I want to "go on a diet" and "keep it off".
Going on a diet = short term change. Changing how you eat = long term change.

Low carb diets are good for getting lean. If your only method for getting lean is going low carb, and then you go back to a high carb diet do you think you'd magically stay lean?

If you want to drop weight by going low carb, and then increase carbs once you've reached your goal, and you want to do that and not add a bunch of fat, then you will need to decrease calories as you increase the carbs and you should go very slowly in adding back carbs.

I can say from personal experience going from low carb to high carb quickly will lead to bf gains.

All of that depends heavily on personal factors. Some people seem to be more sensitive to insulin and that kind of thing

and i think this is all true for both keto-genic and low carb, though I think keto tends to require intermittent high carb reloads or some such.
>>
>>35158627
>It doesn't matter how many carbs you were eating.

I know what you're probably going to say but I'm going to ask anyway so that I get this right: So you're saying it's fine to eat a cereal for breakfast, a white bread sandwich for lunch and a potatoes+meat meal, as a long as the potions sized are smaller and the exercise is greater, the results are still going to be there?

>>35158627

I did read up about what I was planning to do before I did it, but then people around me were negative on low carbs, so then I read some more, got conflicting info and so came to /fit/ for help.
>>
>>35158605
Anon it's mainly not about the carbs, but the kind of carbs. So you like bread? Fine, eat whole wheat or rye, etc. Go for high fiber when you can (and you should be able to since beans and oats are dirt cheap).

Get the myfitnesspal app or any other similar one and with time you'll be able to have an aproximate idea of what you are actually eating (in terms of protons, carbs and fat) just by looking a plate.

Also, if you are serious about exercising more, you better eat your carbs or else you are going to fail because of the cravings.

Best of lucks.
>>
>>35158729
Thanks for taking the time out to write that and give a strong explanation.

The plan is/was for the end of the diet probably having to which to wholemeal bread and pasta to avoid going back into the old pattern.

The vibe I'm getting from the thread is just add more variety to my diet, keep portion size down and keep exercising.

>>35158760

Thanks, I will do. I think I'll probably try eating some carbs post work out and see how that goes.
>>
>>35158739

The only way to lose weight is calories.

The only way to gain weight is calories.

If you have extra calories, you can try and tweak the amount of weight you are adding to be more fat or more muscle TO SOME EXTENT by tweaking macro (carb/fat/protein) balance.

If you have deficit of calories, you can try and tweak the amount of weight you are losing to be more fat or more muscle TO SOME EXTENT by tweaking macro (carb/fat/protein) balance.

In both cases, whether or not macro balance really does impact the type of tissue added/lost, is a difficult question and depends a lot on personal factors I would suppose.
>>
>>35158739
Your first problem was listening to faggots around you who probably have just as shitty of a diet as you do.

Seriously, read the sticky.

Losing weight is eating less calories than you use during the day.
Gaining weight is eating more calories than you use during the day.

Aside from rare metabolic disorders, that's all there is to it. It's so easy, you don't even have to exercise to do it. But you should.
>>
>>35158800
I think that it's about finding your personal balance. What I mean is that you have to incorporate an exercise routine to your life. Find something you really enjoy and adjust your diet around your calorie consumption.

If you are not enjoying your calorie burning routine, you'll stop doing it and go back to the same spot in which you are right now.

Also, teach yourself to cook with proper ingredients and you'll find that, for example, a steak can be as enjoyable with a quinoa salad as it is with mashed potatoes.

You can always eat whatever you want, but most of the time that will imply smaller portions because of the amount of calories in the things that are not that healthy, which makes a lot of diet plans just miserable to follow.

As anon said, aim for the longer term if you are really going to do this as a life change.

Hope it helps.
>>
>>35158421
I did a low carb diet for 5 weeks, lost about 10 lbs and had increases in my PRs in every lift. People who say that you loose muscle are stupid
>>
>mayonnaise
>PUFAS
DROPPED
>>
OP
reddit.com/r/keto
There, I saved you a lot more shitposts
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.