[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your excuse for not being able to rest in an atg
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8
File: cimg1249.jpg (192 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
cimg1249.jpg
192 KB, 1600x1200
What's your excuse for not being able to rest in an atg squat?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-to-squat-properly/
>>
>>35131270
Keep your heels grounded. This holds true for heavy squats, bodyweight squats, casual Grok squats, poop squats, and Indigenous People’s Stretches: resting all that weight on your toes, as opposed to your heels, places far too much stress on your knees, and the resultant shearing forces will tear your knee apart, given sufficient time. Of course, if you’re playing a sport like volleyball, staying on your toes allows better reactions and quicker movements, but that’s a totally different situation. In all other cases, keep your heels firmly on the ground.

Hint: If you find yourself unable to keep the weight off your toes, curl them upward; you’ll force yourself to maintain heel-floor contact.

Keep your back straight. I don’t mean vertical; I mean you should avoid rounding your back, whether you’re bent at the hips or upright. With heavy weights a rounded back can be disastrous, and with no weights a rounded back just reinforces bad habits. Both are to be avoided.

Hint: Keeping your chest up and your shoulders back will lead to a straight back.

Your knees should follow your feet. Your feet should be about shoulder width apart (maybe a bit wider for stability; basically, whatever allows you to comfortably reach a deep position), at about a 30 degree angle (as opposed to pointing straight forward). Make sure your knees are aligned with your feet and toes. It’s usually not an issue without a barbell and weights involved, but it’s good to get in the habit.

It’s not a workout. You shouldn’t be holding yourself up with your quads. You should be resting. This is supposed to be a sustainable pose, so you’ll be doing a full, deep squat. How deep? Clasp your hands together in front of you. As you squat, let them hang between your legs. When they reach the ground, you should be in your deep squat position. Sit down and back, let your hamstrings touch your calves, and stay there.
>>
>>35131333
Sit back. I’ll say it again because it’s so crucial. Squatting isn’t just sitting down; it’s sitting back, which spreads the load and creates a more manageable center of gravity. If you were to “squat” down and not back, your knees jutting way out, all your weight would be borne by your quads, and you’d probably topple over onto your face. At the same time, an inexperienced squatter attempting to sit back for the first time might topple over onto his or her ass. In a casual, weight-less squat, these issues become less likely to manifest, of course, but sitting back creates a more stable base and promotes good habits for when you do pile on the weight.

Hint: Imagine there’s a short chair just behind you and sit back in search of it. Or, better yet, use an actual tiny chair, stool, or anything that will allow you to reach the proper depth.

Squatting may seem completely natural (because it is!), thus rendering a “How to…” guide unnecessary, but you’d be surprised at how easily unnatural bad habits can disrupt our natural tendencies and instincts. Read through the tips and hints, make sure you can perform them correctly, and practice your weak points. Even if you’re confident and comfortable with a few hundred pounds on your back, give it a quick run-through. The squat movement figures into our lives on a daily basis, and it would be a damn shame to do it incorrectly.
>>
>>35131333
>>35131348
Thank you anon.
>>
File: Chicken Hug.webm (618 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
Chicken Hug.webm
618 KB, 320x320
>>35131474
>>
>>35131270
Can you show me any guys over 6 foot tall who can do it? From what I can tell slav squats are for manlets only.
>>
>>35131589
To clarify, I know it's possible for tall guys to do it but it's not as comfortable as it is for you manlets. Just saying.
>>
my flexibility is so shit it hinders my everyday life. i'm also way too fat and my gut gets in the way.
>>
>>35131589
I'm 6'1 and I squat stuff?
>>
>>35131610
Nvm I think I found my answer. I'm just too fat, like >>35131608
I just use being tall as an excuse. If I try to slav squat my body wants to sit down as in fall back on my butt.
>>
>>35131649
you need to follow the "sit back" part of the advice
>>
nothing quite like poppin a squat when you want to rest, but there's nowhere to sit down because it's rained, or dirty. shitting in the woods has never been better too, for us mountain men
>>
Flexibility
>>
>>35131270
i can easily sit down like that, i think most people can. the hard part is keeping your back straight.
>>
>>35131270
it hurts.
>>
>>35131270
I've been there.
Right by Chungking Mansions.
>>
>>35132539
Sup Eric
>>
File: perfectsquat.png (564 KB, 950x567) Image search: [Google]
perfectsquat.png
564 KB, 950x567
>>35131589
I don't see why height has anything to do with it. As long as you aren't a mutant with weird proportions you should be fine.
>>
>>35132599
Hey dubs
>>
>>35131589
6'2 and at my biggest weighed 205 pounds and could slavsquat easy
>>
File: image.jpg (121 KB, 640x907) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
121 KB, 640x907
>6'1.5
>tfw too tall to squat
>>
>>35132604
not samefag but i can only go about parallel before i need to unground heels to go atg
>>
>>35132611
verified
>>
>>35132620
Sad thing is this probably worked.
>>
Why can't I do this? I fall backwards unless I'm way forward into my knees.
>>
>>35132866
Spread your legs idiot. Its a squat not a paralello-sit
>>
>>35132604
>>35132866
I can do it pretty well if I put my arms out like this, but then my feet turn onto their inner sides.
>>
>>35131270
I poop in a civilized toilet.
>>
it's easy

get mad buttwink though
>>
>>35131270
ahahhaahah why do asians always sit like this with a smoke in one hand lmao I see this all the time
>>
>>35132884
for me my balance is perfectly fine once i have enough weight on my shoulders but i find it difficult to do it with just the bar or bodyweight
>>
>>35131589
6'2 if I stand up very straight and I can slavsquat comfortably for hours
>>
>>35131270
I can. 14 years of muay Thai has made me crazy flexible.
>>
>>35132620
see >>35132612
and >>35131649
>>
>>35132933
because it's comfortable, dubs. you really need to read the first three posts itt
>>
>>35131270
Follow the Ido Portal method of movement and mobility. You'll have a perfect resting squat in no time. Same goes for perfect form handstands.
>>
>>35132604
sauce?
>>
I'm not a slav
>>
>>35135473
"But the most important matter on all of this is the depth of the hip socket. If people are looking up on the internet, depth of the hip socket and squat ability. they won’t find it. They have to go to the hip dysplasia literature. What they’ll find is that there are groups in the world with very shallow hip sockets and they have very high rates of hip dysplasia. The center of the world for hip dysplasia is Poland. They have very shallow interior hip sockets and they can squat very deeply. The femur comes right up because there is no bone on bone contact there.

It’s actually called the Dalmatian Hip, which originates on the Dalmatian coast of Croatia up through Bulgaria into Poland and into Western Russia, which is the Ukraine. Now I think I just named the countries that produce year after year, unbelievable Olympic lifters. They also have the highest rate of hip dysplasia. So again, it’s form and function – and form and function determines athletic ability. It determines where you become arthritic and all the rest. (...) Now you take the archetypical shallow socket hip and it’s a very deep hip socket and that’s a Celtic hip, prevalent in the Normandy area of France, Ireland, and Scotland.

Now how many Olympic lifters come from those countries. Not very many. The reason is they have very deep hip sockets and when you measure the power production out of that hip architecture, you’ll find that they don’t have much power at the bottom of the squat pulling out of the hole to use an athletic term. But the top half of this squat is really powerful. So for throwing the caber and things like that, it’s a standing strength or a very shallow squat strength. That’s where the power is. Am I saying that all Scottish people have deep hip sockets and that all Polish have shallow? No I’m not. I’m just saying that’s the tendency from those genetic pools."

http://bretcontreras.com/transcribed-interview-with-stu-mcgill/
>>
>>35131589
It needn't be your height, it could very well be your femurs that are long. I'm 6'1'' with a bit long femurs, and it took me a while to find a stance I was comfortable with. Keep your legs a bit wider than shoulder width (Not powerlifting crab stance bullshit-wide, mind you), and settle into it. Set off some time to id, squat down to something like a beer crate, your foam roller, or anything.
Another thing that can help a lot with weighted squats is to take a low weight - About 1pl8 will do, and squat down with it. Keep the bottom position, and let the weight help you settle into the bottom position.
If you don't have the time to do either of those, just do your squat warmup sets paused.
>>
>>35131562
"Mom I caught dinner!"
>>
>>35131270
I can't balance when I squat with my back straight, as soon as I straighten it I fall on my ass, I find the only way I can do a low squat is with my arms out in front of my for counter balance... How the fuck am I supposed to squat with weight?
>>
>>35136578
>long femurs
This is the bane of my squatting existence.
>>
>>35131562
That's fucking adorable.
>>
>How do I into slav squat?

I'm having the same problems as all these fags as well: falling back onto my ass. Tried spreading legs. Maybe it's because of my shit ankle mobility?
>>
ITT:fatties who fall on their back because they're too fat to squat properly
>>
>>35131348
>Sit back. I’ll say it again because it’s so crucial. Squatting isn’t just sitting down; it’s sitting back,

except if your front squatting, and then it is literally sitting your arse down (not back) in-between your heels, requiring the hips to open up to allow.
>>
>>35131270
Well he's East Asian so i'm guessing he's like, what? 5'2"?

I'm 6'3" you try that shit.
>>
>>35139914
if anything its easier if you're tall and slim.
>>
File: 1444504552326.gif (267 KB, 400x228) Image search: [Google]
1444504552326.gif
267 KB, 400x228
I poo in the loo. Sorry, but the only people who can ATG squat like OP's pic are 3rd worlders who shit in the street like animals.
>>
File: 1f1[1].jpg (696 KB, 1053x1070) Image search: [Google]
1f1[1].jpg
696 KB, 1053x1070
>>35139914
I'm a 6'5 manlet and I can slavsquat for hours
>>
>>35139964
Nope. Shorter limbs = smaller center of gravity = easier to balance
>>
>>35140042
you are just weak
>>35139999
checked but your mobility is just bad.

to any other faggots who can't atg slavsquat rest replace low bar squats with highbar and lose that gut and you should be set.
>>
>>35139914
>>35140042
I'm so fucking tired of this excuse. You literally have to be a retard to assume that height = anthropometry/proportions

I'm 6'4 and squat lower with higher weight than you ever will

>inb4 hurr durr prove it
Lots of other people do too

If you want ot make the claim about shorter femurs, then go ahead
>>
>>35131270
i got badly constipated once as a kid and did that naturally on the toilet to help get unstuck. felt so natural i never stopped doing it, even now at 20.
>>
File: 1379477214220.gif (339 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
1379477214220.gif
339 KB, 500x281
>>35131562
>>
>>35131562
look at that squat form.

does he look like he's working hard? or does he look relaxed?
>>
>>35139119
It just takes work, that's all.
I've managed to struggle my way up to a 152.5 kg squat 5RM, and I'll be seeing about getting up to 155 next week. I trained stupid for a while, but in less than 6 months after forcing ridiculously bitch weight up, nearly at the cost of my back, I was finally able to squat more weight than before, entirely pain free.
If you feel like it's an extra challenge, just be a sick cunt and take it head on. It will all work out with enough training.
>>
>>35131589
lanklets in charge of not making excuses over everything
>>
>>35132620
You are retarded. I am 6'1 and can easily squat. Big Z is 6'1 and squats 340kg for 15 reps..
You know squats are sometimes included in WSM where most competitors are above 2 meters
>>
>>35131270
>TFW I atg pause squat 275 for easy sets of 5
>>
>>35143348
but can you rest in that natural position comfortably?
>>
>>35143352
>anon doesn't know what paused squat means, probably doesn't squat himself
>>
>>35143352
I literally sit on my heels like that with 275 lbs on my back, and could sit there comfortably probably a minute or two with that weight on my back. So yeah, I would say I can do it comfortably.

>>35143365
Seriously.
>>
>>35143378
you would say so? or you do so, smug mcgee?
>>
>>35131270
i can but my legs fall asleep
>>
File: doin it wrong.gif (2 MB, 320x289) Image search: [Google]
doin it wrong.gif
2 MB, 320x289
>>35143397
you're probably doin it wrong
>>
>>35132620
You're my exact height presuming you're 186cm.

It is absolutely not too tall to squat.
>>
>>35131562
aww man you making me all faggy and shit
>>
I can do it easily buy if I remain for a few minutes in that position I tend to want to take a shit
>>
>>35131270
>http://www.marksdailyapple.com
top kek
>>
>>35143780
pajeet pls go
>>
>>35143780
lol then you need to take a shit, why fight it?

>>35143813
lol
>>
>>35135032
Bodybuildingrev squat workshop.

It's in German so you need the subtitles
>>
Because I am not an Indonesian rice field/road worker
>>
>>35144354
>people from other countries are inferior to me :^)
>>
>>35131270
i dont have an excuses. born in raise in ukraine, this is breakfast lunch and 2nd dinner for me.
inb4 vareniki before borscht
>>
>>35144562
pelmeni > vareniki > borscht
who likes borscht, honestly
>>
>>35144407
American here. They are.
>>
>>35131589
6'1 here. I shit squatting since being 5, so it helps. I don't think it has anything to do with height.
>>
>>35132633
Sad thing is we missed on the age period when such bullshit worked with girls.
>>
>>35144755
Americans thiking they are better than anyone. That's a good laff buddy
>>
I'm 6'2

I cannot even get close to doing that shit, I start toppling almost straight away
>>
>>35144562
So what's up with separatists now? Are your soldiers fighting or is it a status quo for now?
>>
>>35132620
I'm 6'4" and squat atg.
>>
>>35131562
My grandma had 3 gooses that were dicking around you and waiting for somebody to caress them.
They were so happy ;_;
>>
>>35131589
A friend of mine who's 2m tall can easily squat atg with good form. It's about the lenght of your femur compared to the rest of your body meaning that if
Lenght of femur/lenght of body < 0.25 you'll have an easier time squatting atg
Lenght of femur/lenght of body > 0.25 it will be harder
>>
>>35135899

fuck bro is this true as a scot my squat is weak as fuck LMAO
>>
>>35131270
But I can?
Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.