[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dumbbells
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: 616rv8N3l5L._SL1268_.jpg (62 KB, 1268x951) Image search: [Google]
616rv8N3l5L._SL1268_.jpg
62 KB, 1268x951
I'm interested in doing that 5 by 5 stuff most of you seem to do, but I don't have a BB and won't be able to invest in it before some time, if I eventually do.

Are there exercises available with DB that I could do to work the same muscles in a comparable fashion?

Dumbbells general.
>>
Anyone else relies solely on DB?
>>
Start with the db's and then when you ready and seeing gains and got your confidence up get the bb.

You will be able to stack more weight on and lift heavy.
>>
>>35125605

I'm confident enough, but I'm not sure I should invest in equipment. I expect it would be far more expensive than just DB and added weights.

Can one safely use a BB in an apartment?
>>
you can do almost everything with dbs

benchpress, flies
rows
curls
shoulder press, and all other shoulder shit
a little bit triceps

you just cant do legs and i know only rows for the back with dbs
>>
>>35125113
Just go to the gym. Nobody will judge you.
>>
>>35125721
this + pull ups if you can
for legs you could do lunges and bulgarian split squats
>>
>>35125632
just go on cff, fitness factory or amazon for cheaper equipment that holds up
>>
>>35125791
I have the feeling most people here don't even realize just what a shitty deal most gyms are. The cheapest option in the city I'm living in is like 30 EUR/month. That is fucking ridiculous, plus I need at least half an hour to even get there. I pay 360 + registration costs (which are 50 EUR, like wtf?) in one year. I can buy so much shit for that kind of money and it's available whenever I want to, probably my whole life.
>>
>>35125898
the thing is once you registered in a gym you feel the obligation to go, because you already paid. I spent +200€ on a barbell, weights and dumbells and they just stood at my house gathering dust. Once I started going to the gym I never stopped, consistency is the most important factor in 'makin it'. And I jog the whole way to the gym, easy cardio
>>
bump

was away, reading up on this
>>
>>35125791

It's a money issue. Gyms are very expensive here in Switzerland. I can't invest the money.
>>
>>35125850

Thanks. How cheap (and good) can a bench and BB be?

>>35125898

I paid gym for my girl once. It cost me 2000 dollars a year (in your currency). I could have bought so much material with this money. I just didn't know about fitness back then.
>>
>>35125945

True, but having your stuff right at home will make it more likely for others to work out regularly, as is my case. I'm looking forward to working out now, and knowing I don't have to pay for it makes it better, not worse.
>>
>>35125945
Everybody works differently with these kind of things. For me needing to go by bus to the next gym where I feel super uncomfortable and can't go when I want to (24h gyms are rare around here) is the ultimate turn off. If I have everything at home, constantly reminding me to work out, I will actually do it pretty often. I buy used weights whenever I see them in auctions or whatever. It's literally just iron, it doesn't get bad or anything and usually you can get it for a tiny fraction of the new price.
>>
>>35125721
>2015
>be curlbro
>not doing dumbell squats and dumbell power cleans
>>
>>35127830
>If I have everything at home, constantly reminding me to work out, I will actually do it pretty often.

This, for me. I started more seriously 6 months ago and I have never stopped. As soon as I started seeing results, I was motivated as fuck. Then I plateaud for months and months because my routine was a shit circuit thing where I did rounds. Angry as fuck, but motivated by the idea that a better routine will work much better.
>>
Hey, I'm doing a DB novice routine (fierce 5) that I found on bb dot com

Workout A
Split Squat 3x8
Bench 3x8
DB Rows 3x8
Reverse Flies 3x10
Calf raises 2x15/French Press 2x10 Superset

Workout B
Walking Lunge 3x8
Overhead Press 3x8
Romanian Deadlift or Straight Leg Deadlift 3x8
Lat Pulldowns or Pull/Chin ups
Ab work 2x15/Curls 2x10 Superset

what do you guys think about it?
>>
>>35128026

I heard flies are bad.

Is your work out separated by upper/lower body or muscle groups? I'm not familiar with all these exercises.
>>
I'll post my current routine, also interested in opinions.

A
bicep curls 3x8
military bench presses 3x8
shoulder presses 3x8
one armed row 3x8
French presses 3x8
pushups from knees 3x10
shrugs 3x10/20

B
calf raises 3x10 (will add because that ain't enough)
planks 3x
squats 3x15
mountain climbers 3x15
Russian twists 3x8 (Need a new exercise for obliques because I can't get a handle on that shit)
situps 3x20

I think that's it.

AxBxAxx
BxAxBxx
>>
>>35128087
consider these exercises: lunges, glute bridge, side plank, side raises

side bends are good for obliques but gotta warm up properly and be careful
>>
>>35128480

Thanks, I'll look it up.

I used to do A in a circuit, changing exercises after each set. If I did 4 rounds, it'd take virtually 2 hours and left me exhausted but I didn't feel like I worked out my muscles all that much after some months.

As soon as I switched to doing 3 sets in a row, then holy shit, I feel my muscles the next day. I hope it's really habbedig.

I'll look those exercises up right now.
>>
>>35127857
>dumbbell power clean
absolutely retarded
how are you going to rack a serious amount of weight?
pls stop advice
>>
>>35128480

Glute bridge is in.
>>
>all these faggots recommending lunges
at least bulgarian splits give you a nice ass
do this shit, OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN-wQc5dJIY
>>
>>35128670
elevate your shoulders for a deeper ROM, and a bit more hamstring action

foot placement can also introduce or eliminate quad activation
>>
>>35128668

I'm not very strong as of now. Much stronger than when I started, but I think that DB power clean would be challenging enough.

>when I started, my DB were like 2 kilos on each and I could only do 10 minutes

I come from far, far away, in terms of fitness, but you'd be proud of me now. I use 4 DB's and the heaviest are like 9 kilos.
>>
>>35128689

My knees are too weak for this. Even with regular squats, with only my own weight, they're barely OK. I need to strengthen my legs much more before I can hope to do this. I'll keep it in mind.

Only started doing splits this week to be quite honest senpai.
>>
>>35128738
>doing dumbbell power cleans with 2 kilos
...what the actual fuck?
am i being trolled?

when you start as a beginner doing power cleans, you use the empty bar, which is 20 kilos.

>10 minutes
??
i don't even
is this cardio?

nigger you do 3-5 reps max per set (otherwise form breaks down)

i don't even know what you think power cleans are at this point
>>
>>35128751
normally i would recommend kneeling squats to someone with bad knees, but that shit really requires a barbell
>>
>>35128759
>...what the actual fuck?
>am i being trolled?
>when you start as a beginner doing power cleans, you use the empty bar, which is 20 kilos.

No power cleans, just anything, when I started, as a noob, with DB, 2 years ago. Relax, friend.
>>
>>35125113

I did Sean10mm's SS routine with dumbbells before I saved enough money for a rack, bb, weights
>>
Quick question:

Should I invest in a bench and BB or can I absolutely get results with DB?

Gym is out of the question for money.

Also, where can I get a cheap copy of that Rippetoe book on programming for strength?
>>
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B002RY9O6S?keywords=bench%20barbell&qid=1449184879&ref_=sr_1_6&sr=8-6

This isn't all that expensive and I could even do dips with it. Opinion?
>>
>>35125721
Dumbells lunges are serious bruh
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.