[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's proper etiquette when you see someone at the gym
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 1448387817125.jpg (97 KB, 583x874) Image search: [Google]
1448387817125.jpg
97 KB, 583x874
What's proper etiquette when you see someone at the gym doing a shit routine or using poor form? Do you just mind your own business or offer advice?

There's this new guy at my gym, chubby, middle-aged, he starts every session with machine/cable ab work and half ROM. He never misses a gym session and is dedicated, I can tell he's a serious guy ready to put in good work but is doing it wrong, probably following a bullshit routine a PT gave him or believing dumb shit like working abs will reduce stomach fat, it's rather painful to watch. I'm sure we all have guys like these at the gym, in fact we have all been there before, making form mistakes as beginners, etc. What do you do when you see something like that?
>>
As a manlet, what should I expect going to the gym for the first time? I'd be ok with people giving me tips on my form and all that. If I were you OP I would just talk to him nicely and give recommendations.
>>
Let him. He might have reasons you don't know. He doesn't tell you what to do, you don't tell him what to do.
>>
>>35122775
Depends. I tend to mind my own business and don't force my shit upon people, but when I get involved with them in a way, ie. they chat me up about training or ask me to spot them I will point out they shitty things they do.
>>
>>35122775
You could try asking him if he'd like some tips with form?

I'd appreciate if someone took some time out of their day and gym sesh to help me out.
>>
>>35122845
Not sure if this needs to be mentioned but don't start a conversation with him mid set, wait until he's resting.
>>
>>35122775
People seriously don't even want your advice 90% of the time. So many clueless fucks are on the wrong end of dysmorphia and think they're Mr. Olympia. Let them.
>>
>>35122775
I've been training for a number of years and have been in this position more times than I can count. I can tell you that 9 times out of 10, people get offended when you try to offer unsolicited advice, no matter how polite you are.
>>
I have taught 4 people how to squat at my gym, no joke. The kind of shit I've seen people do in the squat rack horrifies me to this day and I'd rather have someone be pissed off at me for being annoying than snapping their shit up. Some people take it well, they genuinely thank you for it. Others (insecure people mostly) will try to defend what they are doing. I have very good form on average and most of it is due to mistakes others pointed out, which I appreciate. It all depends on how you bring it. What works well for me is saying 'hey man, I've been in the same spot as you were, let me show you something that helped me out a lot'. In this way you relate to them instead of confronting them.
>>
>>35122845
This. Tell people but be nice. I really appreciated advice when I started. Still do if people notice I'm doing shit wrong.
>>
>>35122775
Beginner here. I love advice. One guy gave me advice on posture and he was really nice. At least that exercise I won´t make that mistake again. Hopefully.
>>
>>35122775
I've given a lot of advice to people doing excercise wrong if I see that they are really dedicated and in my old gym basically everyone reacted well. I started a conversation during both of us rest's and after some chitchat i asked them if they wanted to get some advice and tips. It basically worked half of the time and the other half i kept seeing them doing wrong ignoring my advice
>>
>>35122930
>People seriously don't even want your advice 90% of the time.

This. Practically nobody wants to hear you.
>>
>I pay for my gym membership, stop telling me what to do
>>
>>35122775
I only point out mistakes that everybody can agree are mistakes, ie heels leaving the ground at the bottom of a squat. I never tell people they should go below parallel for instance. My introduction is "Hey, can I give you advice on your form?" with my body language showing that I don't actually give any fuck if he says no ( this is to avoid triggering insecure faggots like you who will say yes just to avoid conflict).
I also only give advice to obviously new people. Guys who have been around for even a few months tend to have their mind made up already even if they never learned from authoritative sources.
>>
>>35123114
>People seriously don't even want your advice 90% of the time.
Thirded. Mind your own damn business, even if you have helpful advice if they don't want to hear it wtf are you trying to give it for? Also as a man I believe my time is too valuable to go around spouting advice to anyone I think could use it...ironic.
>>
>>35123337
>as a man
but you're not a man, you're 17 and a raging faggot.
First of all, everybody here said something showing they ask people if they want advice.
>if they don't want to hear it
How else are you supposed to know you fucking moron?
>my time is too valuable to go around spouting advice
Your time resting between sets where you just lurk /fit/ you piece of shit? Right.

Like they said, unsuccessful people want others to fail to feel better, Successful people want to help others reach their level :-)
>>
>>35122775
i probably have shitty form, being a newfag, so I would appreciate the advice given to achieve gains
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.