[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eating sugar without negative effects?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1
File: 94387.jpg (111 KB, 736x683) Image search: [Google]
94387.jpg
111 KB, 736x683
I was wondering if there is a way to counteract the effects of refined sugar on the body (especially insuline resistance and inflammation).

Apparently fruits and vegetables are healthier, despite containing fructose/glucose, since they are high in fiber.

Would taking fiber (like in psyllium husk) when consuming refined sugar have a similar effect?

Any other ideas?
>>
>>35110816
REEEEEEEE
CHINKRAISED HERE
FRUITS IS HEALTHIER BECAUSE FRUCTOSE>GLUCOSE

IN GENERAL: PROCESSED SHIT IS WORSE
FRUITS IS NATURAL YO
NATURAL IS GOOD FO YOU

>inb4 caps
sorry ;c
>>
>>35110816
Bumping for interest
>>
>>35111155
> FRUCTOSE>GLUCOSE
Grab a fucking biology book.
>>
>>35110816
im really sensitive to sugar
candy makes me feel like shit, even in small amounts
ive decided to just cut all that out
>>
you morons are so fucking gullible it's not even funny anymore
seriously, sugar is the single most basic nutrient that exists. you literally need it to function, and half the other macronutrients you eat get turned into sugar by your metabolic system anyway.
unless your diet consists of nothing but candy and chocolate you have a gorillion other things to worry about that are more important and more impactful than fucking sugar.
>>
>>35112804
>sugar is the single most basic nutrient that exists.

the opinion of anyone who says that can be discounted on the grounds of mental deficiency.
>>
>>35113424
dude
take biochem 101 or something

carbs are THE staple energy source of human nutrition, and are metabolized into glucose for use and glycogen short-term storage
>>
>>35113548
The body can produce glucose on its own and use fat as the energy source, as long as you're eating enough protein.

There is no reason to eat sugar besides taste. You don't need it to live.
>>
>refined sugar
Jesus Christ
>>
>>35113709
Dude staying in permanent ketosis is completely retarded. There's no civilization on Earth to live on a ketogenic diet, even the Eskimos, who eat almost 100% meat, have adapted to prevent ketosis. It's literally a Plan B for you body in times of famine, not a long term solution. You need carbs to be healthy, if only for the fact fruits and veggies have so many nutrients.
>>
>>35113755
Personally I'm in ketosis long term because I have PCOS and its used as a treatment. I dunno about people who stay in ketosis for years for no reason.

I eat tons of veggies on keto and berries sometimes as dessert.
>>
>>35113755
Agreed. Been on it 6 weeks now and it's been giving good results in dropping a few % bf(20-17 already), but I don't see this as sustainable. It is still technically starvation no matter how much butter you eat. I'm cutting a few more percent then going back to bulking. Keto is good for rapid weight loss but I don't see it as a good long-term diet.
>>
>>35114058
You realize that you have to carb load every 2 weeks under ketosis right?

Abstaining from carbs permanently is really dumb and it can fuck your body up really bad.

Isn't there a possibility that your body might start rejecting carbs if a person stops eating carbs after say 3 years?
>>
>>35114270
You don't stop eating carbs completely. Most people can stay in ketosis by eating under 50-30g of carbohydrates. My limit is 20 because I'm petite.

There aren't many long studies of people on the keto diet for reasons other than epilepsy. But they don't seem to have problems with carbs after discontinuing.
>>
Mangoes
>>
>>35113755
this.

if you fell for the paleo meme and want to spend the rest of your life gulping down tons of fat and pissing acetone, ok. but seriously telling people that this freak diet is overall healthier than a standard carb-based diet is just retarded garbage.

keto definitely has its place - as a treatment for severe epilepsy, or as a fad diet for weight loss that actually gets decent results - but it's not a viable long-term diet.
>>
>>35115383
I'm not disagreeing with you but I think it's important to call fad diets what they are, and keto isn't a fad diet like paleo or gluten-free or non-gmo, organic, etc. is. Ketosis is a fundamental metabolic process that your body undergoes during starvation. It's a biochemical process that won't go away like people's preference of gluten or carbs. Of course it is not right to say that it is healthier than a carb-based diet just because a bunch of hamplanets found it and started losing tons of weight. It's expected that after the weight is lost, one should switch to a maintainable diet that doesn't involve your macros being 70% fat, 25% protein, and 5% carbs.
>>
>All of this broscience about carbs being necessary
How far you have fallen fit
>>
There's no evidence that ketosis causes any damage to the body or metabolism, or that it makes using carbs for energy more difficult once the body is back into glycolysis.
>>
>>35117992
Except when you are type I diabetic like I am. Gotta get them carbs in order to administer insulin in order to not go into ketoacidosis. Doomed to mediocrity!
>>
>>35118076
Damn that sucks. Hoping your health stays good.

My endocrinologist said I was at risk for developing type 2 and its why I decided to get fit and do keto. The types are so different.
>>
>>35117992
Numerous harmful side effects have been recorded, dating back to when the first trials tested it for epilepsy. And it would be arrogant to baselessly dismiss the harms that have been found in animal research.
>>
This is anecdotal, but I've noticed that my clinical depression is a lot better when I'm in ketosis. Keto helped more than 6 different medications did.
>>
>>35110816
>Apparently fruits and vegetables are healthier, despite containing fructose/glucose, since they are high in fiber.
They're not considered very healthy in large quantities. If they are better because of their fiber content, it's because it slows down the sugar absorption. The sugar is incapsulated in the cells of the fruit and that structure has to be broken down before accessing the sugar.

Taking fiber when consuming refined sugar would not have this effect.
>>
>>35110816
>premature aging
is there any way to halt or reverse premature aging? not being unhealthy would stop it i imagine, but can you reverse it any at all with good habits?
>>
>>35118076
Type one here also. You can do keto but it is really really hard. The lowest I could ever pull off was 40-50g of carbs per day. Could get away with 1 injection of long acting insulin per day
>>
>>35120076 #
I dont think its possible naturally. Telomerase seems to have that effect (lengthening telomeres as opposed to shortening them in time), although it can easily cause cancer. Maybe people who can be sure that they have not and wont get one mutated cell in their body will not get cancer, but how can you be sure.

Here is some info on how to slow down telomere shortening:

http://www.wellnessresources.com/health/articles/how_nutrition_makes_anti-aging_possible_secrets_of_your_telomeres/
>>
>>35113794
Fair enough,but people with PCOS or other illnesses are the exeption to the rule, not the rule in itself.
>>
>>35114270
it's not possible for the body to reject carbohydrates all together. Every cell in your body is buildt around getting fuel from breaking carbs down and using it to create ATP.

It's equivalent to saying "well what if your lungs one day decided to reject oxygen?"
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.