[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Signed up for a gym for the first time ever a couple days ago,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8
Signed up for a gym for the first time ever a couple days ago, went in for the first time today. Was pretty scared of looking stupid and doing stupid shit, but slapped myself and got my ass there.

Problem is their free weights start at 10kg and go up to 65kg, and after starting near the bottom and working my way right down to 10kg, I still couldn't lift the fuckers. I didn't think I was that weak, I can do nearly 20 pushups and 15 pullups, which isn't much but it's more than most people.

Surprised that I can't even lift their smallest weights, what gives? Anyway, I lifted 10kg over my head with both hands for 5 sets of 6 reps and my arms are fucking shot, but I'll repeat until I can lift them in regular curls and then work my way up.

What else can I do if I can't even lift the weakling dumbells? Am I unusual? What should I do in the meantime?
>>
I dont think you can do 15 pull ups son
>>
15 pull ups, but can't lift dumbbells.... How much do you weigh?
>>
15 pullups but cant lift 10kg? what?
>>
>Mfw my gym has a sign that says 'please rerack your weights - most of our gym members cannot lift 20kg plates'
>Thought this was just a clever way to get people to rerack their shit
>OP is making me consider the possibility of some truth
>>
File: plzbetroll.jpg (125 KB, 620x465) Image search: [Google]
plzbetroll.jpg
125 KB, 620x465
>>35100557
See those things in the crudely drawn white circles? Those are weight plates, they go on either end of the barbell and range in weight from 1.25kg and then I think went up to 25kg at the Pure Gym I went to, but I imagine it will go up to 20kg weight plates at least. The benefits of barbells to a beginner are outlined in the sticky.

Read the sticky and you will see some efficient workout routines, instead of dicking around with ten pushups, the 15 so called pullups that surely cannot be possible if you cannot lift 10kg and failing to even lift dumbbells, never mind using them in a structured logical manner.

But on to your issue regarding not being able to lift any weight - a barbell with 20kg on either side may seem like a lot of weight to you now, but thanks to something called microloading it is entirely possible to work your way up to it from a low, manageable weight. Once again the sticky proves its usefulness by giving you this information and everything else you could need as a beginner. Seriously, read the sticky and apply what you learn from it. It is the best thing you could do for yourself right now.

On a side note, congratulations on overcoming your fear of going to the gym for the first time. You have taken a step in the right direction. Now that you have a gym membership you might as well utilise it as much as you can by following the advice i the sticky.

>tl;dr Read the Sticky
>>
File: StCgryF.jpg (991 KB, 2600x2061) Image search: [Google]
StCgryF.jpg
991 KB, 2600x2061
>>35100674
>>35100686
>>35100744

Yeah I couldn't figure out why I couldn't either. I can do 15~ pullups and 20~ chinups, 15-20 pushups, but apparently my arms are weak as piss? I don't get it either.

I'm average weight, maybe a little pudge in my love handles. That's why I can't figure it out. I don't know how much I weigh but going from the average white male on google puts me at 88kg, so if I can lift that 15 times why the fuck can't I lift 10kg dumbells?

>>35100893
Yeah there're plenty adjustable lifters and curl machines, still being a fucking bewildered idiot when it comes to the gym I'll stay away from the big guy stuff for the time being, but thanks for the suggestions
>>
>>35101076
Maybe your form is all shit when you do it? like ive seen guys barely let them selves down before starting to pull up again, thats not even half a pullup and ofc you can do more of those
>>
>>35100557
When I first started lifting, I could barely curl 10lb dumbbells (which is what most women comfortably do). That was a few years back, and now I can easily curl 60-70lbs.

My advice is just to keep at it. You'll be sore as shit, and you won't jump from the lowest weights to the highest weights overnight, but unless you have some type of physical disability, you'll eventually get stronger.
>>
>>35101076
please film yourself doing pullups. i must see this.
>>
>>35101164
THIS
>>
>>35101076
You are half repping
>>
>>35100557
> I can do nearly 20 pushups and 15 pullups
no way you're doing 15 pullups and you cant lift 10kg dumbbells,your form is probably shit and your range of motion is 1/8 while also jerking your legs.
I do 13 perfect pullups and i easily curl 25kg with the slowest possible motion,and thats curls.
dumbbell bench press should be 30+
tldr; fix your shitty form and start lifting
>>
>>35101076
You're probably half repping those chin/pull ups. Do you fully extend your elbows on every rep and does your chin actually pass the bar? Proper form is important and you need to perform any given exercise as it should, otherwise you're cheating yourself and greatly hindering your progress
>>
>>35101274
on pullups he must pass his chin.on chinups he must touch his chest.
on both he must take at least 1.5 second to go up,half second still on top and 1.5 second down
he is probably ego e-statting and repping quarter pullups on a bar set at 1.5m height so he can jump and cheat on his first rep and rom.
>>
>>35101076
It's not "big guys stuff". You don't have to bench 3 plates the first time you step in a gym, you start where you start (however low that may be) and build your way up. You can only squat 30 kg and bench 15? Fine, go on from there
>>
>>35101076
You don't do the pull ups correctly, I assure you. Actual pull ups are a pretty hard fucking exercise, even for more intermediate guys. Using correct form I honestly can maybe do three of them. However, Pushups are fucking nothing in comparison, I can easily do 40 of them in one set going down to the nose.

Now, of course you might have extraordinarily trained lats for some reason, but I honestly doubt it. Just doesn't seem right if all you can to is 15-20 push ups, doesn't work out for me.

Watch some video of correct pull up form. Arms wider than shoulder width, you go down until your arms are almost straight, but not quite, then go up until your elbows are horizontally aligned with your shoulders, or maybe a little higher.
>>
Op i was curling 18 kg before my surgery, post op when i got out of hospital i lost 9 kg and i vouldnt even get out of bed on my own i got sore from 3kgs and now im back in the gym after 3 months and thanks to muscle memory im curling now like 14kgs my point is you just gotta take it slow, do lots of research, sleep well eat well and youll see results
>>
>>35101537
>lifting for 3 months
>still curling 14kg
kek
>>
File: edinburgh_-_calton_hill_nov_12_0.jpg (366 KB, 1698x1131) Image search: [Google]
edinburgh_-_calton_hill_nov_12_0.jpg
366 KB, 1698x1131
>>35101097
>>35101274
Nah, I'm using an overhead bar and doing full form pullups/chinups, typically lifting my legs into my stomach while I'm at it too, bar touches the top line of my chest each time, I'm not unfit.

>>35101164
>>35101216
>>35101237
>>35101271
>>35101299
>>35101383
No.
If you don't believe me then why respond at all?

>>35101152
The first on point reply here, thanks.

>>35101309
Alrighty, kinda intimidated by the meatheads on the plated machines, but I'll take this into account and re-approach, cheers.

>>35101537
Interesting. My sleep and diet are a little off skew at the moment, so I appreciate the comments here

I figure I've either completely vegetized my biceps from 10 years of basically sitting on my ass all day, or I was doing something retarded like lifting a heavier dumbell than I realized, either way I'll follow the only sensible replies and keep at it, cheers everyone.
>>
File: 12.png (2 MB, 1160x840) Image search: [Google]
12.png
2 MB, 1160x840
>>35100557

How much do you weight?

Anyway keep lifting the weakest dumbells you find, you will lift heavier and heavier ith time, just be constant and eat right cause something tells me that you're skelly mode
>>
>>35101901
>I figure I've either completely vegetized my biceps from 10 years of basically sitting on my ass all day
pullups and chinups are literally the best bicep exercise.
Your form is just shit or you're lying about the reps.
Post vid of 10 proper reps if you want to be taken seriously.
>>
>>35101901
You know youre doing it wrong or you wouldbt be afraid to film it
>>
>>35101901
>If you don't believe me then why respond at all?
because it's a public message board and i can post whatever i want. also if you aren't lieing then you doing something that is basically superhuman so we want to see it.
>>
There will be alot of bullies and they WILL laugh at you.
You will feel terrible.
You will be ashamed of your body.
Everyone else will look fucking joozy.
You will quit after two days.
You will never try again.
>>
>>35101913
I'm average weight and 5'10, I don't have scales but google says that puts me at around 88kg. I'm not a skeleton, I'm pretty much visually this body, maybe an inch or two shorter and with stronger/more defined shoulders.

Will do, cheers.

>>35101918
>>35101926
>>35101933
Then you got me, I'm lying. You can tell everyone you beat the guy on the internet and go do something useful now.
>>
>>35102016
You can be sarcastic all you like but the only person who youre trying to fool here is your self.

I can do 20 pushups by cheating and im skinny 60kg fag, but it doesnt mean that im actually doing them
>>
>>35102016
you just admitted you're fat,and judging by the pic and the fact you can't lift 11kg dumbbells im sure you're a weak faggot lying on the internet
now get the fuck out of here and go lift you filthy lying pleb
>>
>>35101913
>pic on the left

1990's?
>>
>>35101988
Fucking die you useless piece of shit
I hope you were molested when you were young
>>
>>35102094
>i'm on a boat
>1990s

are you retarded?
>>
>>35102042
>>35102046
Just to summarize, you opened a thread on an imageboard, accused someone of lying and demanded they prove you wrong, called them names when they wouldn't, and then got butthurt and attacked them with names again.

I'm not sure what's wrong with you but you guys but you should probably step away from the computer and try to figure that out.
>>
>>35102353
>I'm a superman
>no youre not lol
>hurr durr do something productive im not lying

yeah right faggot
>>
>>35102016
Stumbled on this thread and I must say, this pic doing 15 proper pull ups is laughable. I really want to see this, please.

You must be kipping/swinging your legs.

You do realize a *perfect* score on the marines' fitness test is 20 pull ups? Don't estat bro, it's unbecoming and it sets unrealistic expectations for others. If you're not estating then just accept that your form is shit, admit it, and move on.
>>
>>35102353
you created a thread,claimed your biceps are vegetized because you never worked them,and minutes ago you were claiming you do 15 perfect pullups but cant do a single 10kg curl.
Fuck off with your lying shit.
The burden of proof is on you anyway.
>>
>>35100557
If you go to a Puregym, then there should be pussy dumbells in another area (probably next to yoga mats or something). They'd be losing out on a lot of memberships if they couldn't keep their cardio bunnies doing 2kg curls for sick tonage.
>>
LIES LIES FROM TINY EYES.

THE EYES OF A COCKEREL IN A MANS FACE.

LIES I TELL THEE.
>>
>>35102514
>>35102537
>>35102538
>>35102632
>You're lying, you're a fag, prove it
>No
>HERP DERP YOU'RE LYING
>I'm lying, move on
>I'M BUTTHURT ALSO YOU'RE LYING ABOUT LYING

Get a job kids

>>35102629
Yeah it was my first time there and I only spent a few minutes, but there's a separate induction area with a bunch of pussy weights, and the free weight rack in the main area stretched literally from one end of the room to the other, I was impressed. 10kg was the smallest I could find but I probably overlooked something like you suggest, cheers.
>>
>>35102774
So if i said i can bench 1ton and i never liften in my life you would believe me?

Its basically what youre saying here
>>
File: 1448347425499.jpg (29 KB, 485x340) Image search: [Google]
1448347425499.jpg
29 KB, 485x340
>>35100557
you're full of shit
>>
>>35102774
>cant lift 10kg
>calls others kids
my 13 year old nephew lifts harder than you gayboy
>>
Piss poor crappy b8

SAGED and hidden
>>
>>35102353

/fit/ is typically great at giving beginners advice and being supportive. Naysayers and assholes are usually shot down by us. It's when delusional faggots like you start posting that we behave like you see in this thread.
>>
>>35102788
No, but I wouldn't call you names and act like a 12 year old and shit all over you for 10 posts, then get butthurt and call you a double liar and repeat this process another 5 times for no reason either.

Whether I'm lying or not people are shitposting, not actually trying to establish anything, the result of me posting proof is the exact same as the result if I don't: everybody posts useful responses or shitposts.

>>35102896
Nonsense, I've seen plenty of these sort of jerk off shitfests on here that don't benefit anyone and seemingly stem from the way something is phrased or responded to rather than actual useful ends. But that's human nature in a nutshell, it's just more prominent here.
>>
ITT:

>OP: I can do something that is literally impossible
>everyone: Prove it
>OP: I DONT HAVE TO YOU IMMATURE FUCKS
>>
>>35102986
You are the one shitposting and expect others to shitpost in the same way you do? Jesus you are so delusional it hurts.
>>
so much bait I'm fishing for godzilla
>>
>>35103026
If you think 15 pullups is impossible you have worse delusions than the ones I'm said to have.

>>35103041
Where did I shitpost? What thing did I say that makes a series of trolling shitposts the only legitimate response?
>>
>>35103222
>hey guys i cant lift 10kg but i can lift my own body weight 15 times without a break
>no guys im totally not lying!

Youre either the most delusional person I have ever seen or just trolling which i give 7/10, im fairly rustled
>>
>>35102774

>pussy weights
>Can't curl 10kg
>Lies on the internet

Nice one OP.
>>
>>35100557
I'm in the same boat as you OP. I can't even do a complete set of 4kg lateral raises. My arms are vegetables thanks to 2 decades of neglect
>>
is gaining 20 lbs on db curl good for only working out for 4 weeks
>>
>>35103259
keked pretty hard at this comment. Be happy knowing that people like this will never make
>>
>>35103331

Same here I can do 2 reps of 3kg lateral raises.

At least I can do 25 pull ups though.
>>
I'm weak as shit, I can do maybe 4 chin ups without pause but I can curl 50 pounds barbell with perfect form. OP is probably doing 1/8th reps lmao
>>
>>35101988
This made me laugh.
>>
>>35103461
me too i can i can do 1 rep of 2kg lateral raises

but hey at least i can do 35 pushups
>>
>>35103461
damn, i can't even curl a grapefruit using both hands but I can do 50 pull ups and so many dips i lose count
>>
>>35103766
shiet i can do pushup but i can do like 70 pullups
>>
>>35103766

> dips

clearly trolling, dips are actually a hard exercise unlike pullups.
>>
>>35100557
>can't curl 10kg
alright, that's normal.

>can only do 20 pushups
seems about right.

>can do 15 pullups
wut.

I'm going to assume you're a troll. You also claim to lurk /fit/, so I'll bet you're disappointed people aren't calling you out for curling to begin with.

What actually triggers me the most is that I know I'll be seeing 1000 times worse than this at my gym a month from now...
>>
>>35100557
>signed up for gym a couple of days ago
>went in first time today

nigga gtfo of /fit/
>>
>>35103919
>What actually triggers me the most is that I know I'll be seeing 1000 times worse than this at my gym a month from now..
This will be my first new year at a gym. How bad is it going to be?
>>
>>35102016
Fuck you man people are trying to give you advice you raging cum guzzler.

There's no way you can do 15 pull ups with good form.
>>
>>35101913
who is that chick in the background
fuck bro i am in looooooooooooove
>>
>>35103919

He said he can't LIFT 10kg. As in, physically pick up the dumbbell.
>>
>>35103974
No he didn't.
>>35100557
>Anyway, I lifted 10kg over my head with both hands for 5 sets of 6 reps and my arms are fucking shot, but I'll repeat until I can lift them in regular curls
Read the fucking post dumb cunt
>>
File: new year new gym.jpg (660 KB, 1755x3285) Image search: [Google]
new year new gym.jpg
660 KB, 1755x3285
>>35103952
Believe it or not, this is pretty accurate...
>>
>>35103766
jeez dude that's harsh, I've been practicing curling my morning mug of coffee (approx 500ml = 0.5kg) to my face every morning.
I can do roughly 32 handstand pushups though
>>
>>35104028
I can barely get out of bed in the morning and I can only do 50 muscle ups.
>>
>>35103259
Hence the thread in the first place, you're either shitposting or you're completely missing the point or trolling which I give 7/10, im fairly rustled

>>35103974
No I didn't

The autism and shitposting on this board is unmitigated
>>
>>35104050

You did imply it to be fair.
>>
>>35100557
the only explanation for this is that he weights 20 kg or less.
>>
>>35103461
Same here I can do 1 rep of 0,5kg lateral raises.

Atleast I can do 45 pullups though
>>
>>35103993
I'm scared. How long does it last?
>>
Op the reason people are freaking out is because pull ups and chinups require a fair bit of work from the biceps and forearms, and unless you are quite light, which you've specified you aren't, they are a fairly challenging exercise overall. Having biceps that can physically assist in doing 10-15 (even shit form) pullups/chinups and then not being able to curl a 10kg DB for even one struggling rep is highly anomalous and sounds almost anatomically impossible, this is why people are asking for some sort of proof, it just sounds insane. Like being able to complete 100 pushups with good form at a high bodyweight and failing to bench press an empty 20kg bar, it just sounds impossible.
>>
>>35104275
>inb4 op calls you a kid and continues doing his 15 imaginary pullups
>>
>>35104275
Yeah, and like I've clarified a few times, I'm aware of this, it's the entire point for the thread in the first place, not to mention the sole reason I mentioned my ability level. But autistic shitposting and trolling equates to precisely dick even if I had proved it, so it's benign either way.
>>
>>35100557
OP i'll ignore all the controversy with pullups etc...

Anyway we all start somewhere just find a decent routine (go to sticky) and start from the bottom.
>>
>>35104365
I get what you're saying, it's just the disparity is too large to just be some freak thing, it sounds downright impossible, unless your pullups/chins are the most freakish, entirely momentum based, kipping out the wazoo pullups of all time. At what point to your legs swing up? Can you grab the bar, lower yourself into the starting position, and pull yourself up without swinging or moving your lower body?
>>
>>35103222
I think he meant that it is impossible for you to do 15 pullups and not be able to lift anything.
>>
>>35104419
C'est la vie, I'm only still replying because the thread is still open. Appreciate the positive advice

>>35104424
Given, I've gone with assuming I was doing something retarded like I was lifting a heavier weight somehow without noticing, even if it doesn't make sense to me.

Heading back in around 10 hours anyway, so I'm not going to gain anything more from the thread either way, but for the sake of completion, I lift my legs up after or during lifting myself up and it's purely because I like feeling the burn in my abs while I'm doing it anyway. Yeah, I can lift and lower myself slow and controlled for the full 15, full form from head under and arms reaching to neck above. I'm not an idiot doing half reps or whatever else was suggested by the troll brigade.
>>
>>35104543
Whatever you lifted was not 10kg. You cant perform 15 full rom chinups at 80kg~ bodyweight and fail to curl 10kg for one rep.
>>
>>35104594
It's over OP admited hes baiting with that post, it cant be any more obvious than that time to abandon the thread
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.