[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anyone here done an Ironman? I'm thinking about it.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: Ironman-Logo.jpg (52 KB, 516x340) Image search: [Google]
Ironman-Logo.jpg
52 KB, 516x340
Has anyone here done an Ironman? I'm thinking about it. I can run a marathon in under 3 hours and swim for days but I've never done anything related to biking.
>>
no one here does anything outside of lifting?
>>
>>35098332

Very, very few people are capable of doing a full ironman. Even most people who train for distance cardio aren't going to be up for it.

Asking a random selection of people whether they've done an ironman is about as likely to get a positive response as asking random people whether they can bench 500.
>>
>>35098245
>I can run a marathon
already pretty impressive. i guess you can easily find out by moving your ass on a bicycle
>>
If you're doing a marathon in 3 hours that's already a great base to build on.

The real challenge you will have is going from bike to run, I've done a half IM last year and half way through the run I had to resort to run walk intervals, despite the fact my training runs were in the 20 mile range.

My advice would be to get a lot of time on the bike, and do lots of brick workouts.
>>
I know a guy that has done it. He doesn't look impressive physique-wise to be fairly honest with you family
>>
>>35098245
Did a half ironman this past summer with barely training, doing a full and another half this summer.

It certainly is not easy, but with your baseline you should easily be able to finish.

My half was just over 7 hours.
>>
>>35098332
Literally anything besides lifting goes in the alternative sports board, according to the wide retards here on /fit/.
>>
Why would you do that?
Cardio kills gains
>>
File: profile_normal.jpg (45 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
profile_normal.jpg
45 KB, 640x480
>>35099425
>Cardio kills gains
Well meme'd, my friend!
>>
>>35098245
There are lots of different length triathlons. Why not start with a sprint tri and see how you like dealing with the transitions, then go for longer ones.
>>
>>35098245
>I can run a marathon in under 3 hours and swim for days
You'd probs be fine then. There are a handful of nuances to cycling but it's easier to go from running and do okay in cycling than the other way around.

If you've never ever cycled before it's obv different.
>>
File: front1.jpg (171 KB, 683x1000) Image search: [Google]
front1.jpg
171 KB, 683x1000
>>35098905
We all know a ironman guy
>>
>>35099602
How do I get into cycling? Where do I even start? What bikes do I buy? I want to do a full iron man. I don't want to start at half - I want to go for the big prize.
>>
>>35099677
Find a local bike shop from the net and go there, you'll probably want to start with a lower tier road bike to learn the basics and get used to riding long distances.

If you put in a years worth of big training for an ironman (get a good coach and listen to him) and avoid getting injured you'll likely be able to do a full ironman.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.