[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Lifting with a Bad Back
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1
File: Back Pain.jpg (21 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
Back Pain.jpg
21 KB, 620x413
Who has a bad back here? What are your routines and strategies to avoid re-injuring it? How do you compensate for being unable to do squats and deadlifts?
>>
>>35092236
do this every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI

it's amazing trust me, all your lifts will go up
>>
use a smith machine to squat if you have access to one
>>
Joe Defranco's limber 11
I feel like a new man every time I get done doing it
>>
Do the Bill Star rehab protocol.

3x25 deadlift/ghr with a weight you can handle and with perfect form.
Start doing squats and deadlifts after 2-3 weeks. Do front squats until that.
>>
>>35092270
DO NOT DO THIS.

>>35092290
Do this. Bill Starr is a genius when it comes to strengthening your back and recovering especially lower back.
>>
>>35092236
For some reason, Hindu pushups. They somehow fixed my elbow, shoulder and back injuries. I do em' after every workout and random points in the day. Focus on perfect form and stretching completely when doing the movement
>>
I hurt my back earlier this year. Stick to isolation. I look better now than I ever did with compounds.
>>
I lifted with pain in my lower back plenty of times. Surprisingly deadlifts made the pain in my lower back go away.

Take my advice with a grain of salt.
>>
>>35092335
>Don't fix your shit form instead avoid a huge fucking part of lifting.
Not even bodybuilders (the fags of lifting) avoid compounds.
>>
>>35092236
Yoga. I had a debilitating backbinjury that had me bedridden for two years. The ONLY things that made it better were, beltless squats (lightweight af), yoga and weed.
>>
>>35092356
Similarfag here. There's a Nautilus lower back machine in my gym that I put on maximum and do 3x25 on whenever I show up with lower back pain and it works like a champ.
>>
>>35092262
tl;dw version? Are you doing all of these exercises?
>>
>>35092290
>Bill Star rehab protocol

What does deadlift/ghr means? (the ghr, respectively)

I have a pretty bad lower back on the right side, fucked it up during my travels 10 months ago,came back home,lifted heavy again, got some kind of herniated disc (the kind almost everybody has. Hard to describe,not the kind that makes me crawl on the floor and squirm in pain). Can't really bent over row, deadlift or squat. It's not a bad pain,just like a constant "bad feeling". Kinda routine for me to bend over like an old man,one hand always on the knee
>>
>>35092236
I have some insight into this. Story time:

When I was 16 I had been into lifting pretty hard, for about two years then. At the time I was benching like 225, squating like 340, and deadlifting about 425, at about 175lbs bodyweight. I already was talking with big lacrosse schools, shit was gonna be rad.

At the end of the year, I was trying to get on our school gym's 1000lb club board. I needed to get like another 20 or 30 lbs or so, so I threw it on the bars and tried to deadlift it. I had, lets say, less than perfect form for the lift.

Whoo whoo!!! All aboard the train to snap city!!

Yeah, I fucked my shit up. I didnt even know at first, thought I was just really sore. But getting off the bus later that day my back spasmed and I involuntarily fell to my knees with my back frozen up. I couldnt run anymore, let alone lift. Eventually it got to the point where if I lifted nothing heavy off the ground or with my legs, I could run, sort of, but something got seriously fucked up in my back. I had no health insurance, I no MRIs and CT scans to find out what.

Now, over a decade later I figured it out, about a year or so ago. The answer? Rehabing my back, doing crazy smounts of core excersises and doing the very lift that snapped me up in the first place, deadlifts. Also squats, a little bit.

Start with bodyweight at first. Yes, seriously, do bodyweight deadlifts. As in, lift nothing off the ground, just pretend you are, and concentrate on having perfect form, and squeezing that core. After a while ( weeks, days, up to you, but be careful), move up to lifting like 5-10 lbs. Then weeks later, 15-20, and so on and so forth.

Yeah, you are going to look like a total fag deadlifting 45lbs at the gym. Stick through that shit. I did, and after about a year, I just got 325 up two days ago.

BUT, you have to be careful, and CHECK YOUR EGO MOTHERFUCKER. Do not start throwing heavy weights on too soon, getting re injured can make it worse.
>>
>>35092639
>What does deadlift/ghr means? (the ghr, respectively)
You can pick either one. The protocol calls for the deadlift specifically but I did it with ghr. Form is absolutely essential and I find it's easier to hold my lower back in extension in the ghr than the deadlift. You'll be building a lot of lactic acid see.

I had a similar herniation and it was 90% gone after two weeks of the protocol. Do it 3x per week and add weight when you can do 3x25 with relative ease. You might be stuck with deadlifting less than 135 or doing the ghr with your bodyweight but that's okay.
>>
>>35092236
i literally fixed it by deadlifting.

start with baby weight.

don't worry about the numbers.... just focus on form, and keep doing what feels comfortable.
there is NO better exercise for your back than deadlift.
http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-deadlift-and-your-lower-back-harmful-or-helpful/
>>
>>35092798

If I read correctly the protocol kinda talks about recent injuries like muscle pulls? I don't really know if a herniation is a muscle pull? Or did I just read the wrong shit?
http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Injuries
>>
>>35092236
avoiding sitting long times. Being aware of what bothers me. Not doing PRs in deadlift. Thats it.
>>
>>35092803
The problem with deadlifting is yeah it can help if you have perfect form, but it only takes one rep with bad form to fuck you up again. I was bedridden for around 8 months with a herniated disc, I would prefer to avoid anything that risks putting me there again.
>>
>>35094896
are you me???
>>
How do I avoid lower back pain from squats and OHP? Does having a buttwink have anything to do with the pain?
>>
>>35092374
THIS

I had a very serious sports injury in my lower back, splintered vertebrae, airlifted to world class hospital, very close to needing back surgery, whole nine yards. Basically was in a half body cast for over a year and on pool workout rehab programs for an additional six months.

Fast forward a few years and I have some pretty advanced stages of DDD. I take some nerve blockers if the pain gets too bad but for the most part I do yoga on my rest days and a few rehab exercises if my body is sore from activity. Never felt better even with continuing in the sport and lifting 4 days a week. I still deadlift and squat nearly every week.
>>
>>35095356
What about Pilates? Would that work as well?
>>
>>35095375

Most likely. I'm not as familiar with pilates, but when I talked to my athletic trainers the impression I got was basically that any sort of low impact stretching and core strengthening works. Also weirdly enough they emphasize to stretch and loosen the hamstrings and quads to take pressure off your lower back. The key is consistency and just taking the time to do it every week.

Also: ice baths
Despite the conflicting literature I've honestly always felt pretty good after taking them.
>>
>>35092262
This, fucked my back doing squats one time, it felt like I got stabbed. This was a big part of feeling normal again once the initial pain wore off after a month.
>>
I've been ignoring my upper back pain for a month now.

I'm going to take a week off and try SMR before it becomes anything permanent.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.