[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hernia Surgery Recovery Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: IMG_20151128_160428.jpg (383 KB, 1600x960) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151128_160428.jpg
383 KB, 1600x960
Okay, starting the thread last night after taking my painkiller was not the best way to share info.

I'm awake and only on ibuprofen right now, with nothing to do but rest and get fat. No work all week, no gym all month, maybe I'll get on the treadmill soon.

I had surgery to fix an inguinal hernia but upon opening me up, they found a femoral hernia. This is apparently a much rarer, more dangerous type.

I got it from genetics and lifting.

If you have questions, go ahead and ask. I'm home all the live long day.
>>
>>35088449
Do you have any post-op questions anon? i am a nurse
>>
>>35088470
Shit really? cool. My biggest complaint about this is the near total lack of post-op info I was given. I was only told not to lift more than 5kg for a month and no contact sports for 3 weeks.

I feel really gross. Can I walk on the treadmill? I'm taking stool softener but it isn't working. Can I jam a glycerin suppository up my butthole? I had like two dozen desserts last weekend and my guts are locked up something fierce.

And should I vape instead of smoke cigs or are they equally bad?
>>
How did you get the hernia OP?
>>
>>35088449
I had my surgery in August. I started walking on the treadmill after a week and started lifting light 3 weeks later even though I was told not to lift more than 15 pounds for a month. But I never had any pain, I didn't even take any painkillers.
>>
>>35088493
lifting and genetics. Probably bad form trying to preserve my lifts on a cut was what popped it out.

>>35088512
I was able to lift rigth up to the day of my surgery and am having some pretty serious anxiety about losing gains. Like others here, the gym and adding weight to the bar is basically all I have.
>>
File: WP_20141109_009.jpg (573 KB, 1804x1149) Image search: [Google]
WP_20141109_009.jpg
573 KB, 1804x1149
>>35088449
Fellow hernia patient here. Genes and lifting did it for me also. My operation wasnt internal so I have a bigger scar. When lying down even lifting my head hurt. Id suggest walk first down the street and not on the treadmill so you see how tired you get. For me when I walked 1 mile I was fucking tired, hurt and sweaty.
I had my operation a year ago.
>>
>>35088527
Diet is key in keeping your gains. I didn't lose any strength or muscle because I kept my calories about the same as before. I increased the protein a little bit. Just don't go in a caloric deficit.
>>
File: WP_20150311_003.jpg (2 MB, 3088x1744) Image search: [Google]
WP_20150311_003.jpg
2 MB, 3088x1744
>>35088539
And pic after healed.
>>
>>35088488
You can walk as much as you want, as long as it doesn't provoke pain. But keep your treadmill flat, one of the most important parts of post-op is getting mobilized. getting mobilized will also help peristaltic contractions in your colon and prevent getting constipated
Stop eating two dozen desserts, propper dieting will heal your wound faster and not make you constipated.
As for lifting and doing sports, listen to your doctor and keep it off for atleast a month, and go easy on the squats and deadlifts, you want to ease it on your scar the first month or two.
>>
>>35088449
cost?
>>
>>35088631
a whole bunch. You don't want to do this without insurance.

>>35088554
Thanks! Any advice on vaping? Is it jsut as bad as smoking? I've got nothing but time right now and I'm really tyring not to smoke.

>>35088543
I've got tons of chicken and green veggies for the next few weeks. Two scoops at night.

>>35088539
>>35088545
Open surgey seems much more painful. I had lap, as you can see from the pics. Since the hernia ended up beign a different type, I still don't know what they did in there, but I imagine it's a similar fix.
>>
>>35088708
For me there was a plastic net sewed in to keep it in place. Im just waiting when I'll get hernia on the other side.
And yeah it was very painfull 1000mg panadol didnt help at all.
>>
>>35088708
Not the nirse but here you go.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/e-cigarettes-around-95-less-harmful-than-tobacco-estimates-landmark-review
>>
>>35088708
I don't know which substances you use for your vaping, but my advice would be not to do it.
Smoking constricts the small capillaries, and therefore limits the amount of blood (think oxygen and such) your scar has accessible. This will problematize your scar healing, and can even lead to some nasty complications.
As said before, i don't know which substances you use for your vape, and the effects of these. My advice would be to hold off on the vaping untill your scar has healed fully
>>
>>35088545

Your intestines got herniated??
>>
>>35088850
Yes thats what inguinal hernia is.
>>
>>35088850
What did you think a hernia was anon?
>>
>>35088888

Nice quints

I associate hernia with back problems
>>
>>35088938
Thank you anon, these are my first quints ever.
>>
i really should have gotten some vodeo games. this is sooooo fuggin boring,
>>
who wants to talk vaping then? can i get stuff at walgreens?
>>
>>35088449
While I haven't had a hernia, I did have to get surgery for IBD. I'm not completely sure but I wouldn't even try go to the gym to lift at 4 weeks post-op. You're just asking for trouble. Might not be as bad with yours as say the other guys posted, but if you fuck yourself up again it's just more time wasted. The second you feel it stop.
>>
I had an inguinal hernia repaired a few years ago and it's apparently 100% healed and strong but I've recently started powerlifting and putting on muscle +fat in my abdomen and so it aches every once in a while (apparently normal?).

Anyways, my question is, should I be wearing a weight belt and practicing valsalva, or continue breathing constantly and lifting without a belt?
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.