[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fit/ I'm genuinely curious, why crossfit is dumb in /fit/'s
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1
File: wtf.jpg (856 KB, 2000x1333) Image search: [Google]
wtf.jpg
856 KB, 2000x1333
/fit/ I'm genuinely curious, why crossfit is dumb in /fit/'s eyes?, I don't do it, I was just thinkin' when I saw a video in youtube and seriously it looks weird aswell ineffective.
>>
>>35086840
stupid just like oly lifting
>>
>>35086840
>It looked weird and ineffective
>Why is it dumb in /fit/'s eyes?

You're so, so close...
>>
>>35086854
Yeah, sounds like that's the major reason, but I want details to be honest.
>>
no beef
>>
It's also often dangerous.
>>
>>35086840
>Blatant disregard for effective programming
>Blatant disregard for safety of their practisioners
>Annoying cult mentality
Boxes vary highly in quality, there are some great people involved in crossfit. Unfortunately Glassman and his crew has made it blatantly clear that they are not trying to improve on any of their issues.
>>
>>35086847
>talking shit on oly lifting
found the permabulking obese powerlifter.

stay buttmad, /plg/

>>35086840
they preform and encourage ridiculous snap-your-shit up nonsense

like doing one-leg overhead squats on a bosu ball, or kipping pull ups.

plus they have coaches with a few hours of training/certification teaching some of the most complicated lifts you can preform (e.g. the snatch).

its the blind leading the blind.

also they WOD system isn't an effective training system.

no progression, just exercise. can hardly be called training.

elgin mones has some mildly humorous videos shitting all over crossfit.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x20ksfx_how-dumbasses-do-pullups_fun
>>
A 2014 article in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning asked for the opinions on CrossFit from a panel of Strength and Conditioning Coaches at NCAA DI-II athletic programs. The panel praised CrossFit for its role in exercise promotion and for improving general fitness, but found it poorly suited as a training method for competitive sports. Criticisms included not involving any initial assessment of the requirements of the specific sport or the individual athlete, which prevents tailoring it to improve performance in the most important areas for a given athlete in a given sport. It was also noted that CrossFit's low resistances and high repetition ranges would classify it as a muscular endurance activity and fail to meet the training load principle for strength and power development, limiting its benefit for power sports. In addition, CrossFit's simultaneous focus on all elements of an athletes performance at once was considered a limitation on his/her longterm potential, and less effective than individually maximizing strength, power, speed, agility, and endurance first- "When the physiological requirements that make up success in power sports are combined in programs, such as circuit or CrossFit training, the potential for development is compromised." [45] In 2013 a study published in the Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research concluded that the incidents of injury are consistent with weight lifting, power lifting and gymnastics—sports with many movements and exercises in common with CrossFit.[43]
>>
>>35086903
>>35086877
>>35086875
>>35086872
Thanks lads.
>>
Most of this crossfit stuff is basically lifting heavy shit using momentum.
That's dangerous as fuark.
>>
It's quite honestly fucking retarded
Secondly, it's beyond dangerous
Thirdly it will destroy your body
Fourthly it's a goddamned cult
Fifth, it allowed a fat fuck powerlifter from texas to get rich by selling his shit book and getting kickbacks from the dairy industry from pushing the horribly unsafe and utterly retarded "gomad" diet on stupid unsuspecting kids.
>>
requesting that poor form crossfit YouTube video with pregnant women

please respond
>>
>>35086840
no programming, encouraging of shit form on complex lifts, retarded people who are into it

Basically overhyped cardio with barbells and other equipment
>>
>>35086840
crossfit is retarded but damn if smashing a tire with a hammer doesn't look like some fun
>>
>>35087098
kek are you talking about Rippetoe?
>>
>>35086840
to be honest , although there aren't any crossfit gyms close to where I live, this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDXxURPagpM is pretty persuasive
yes, the form is not perfect, but I have a feeling that most people who advise against cf blow that out of proportions.
These people are well balanced athletes, whose main goal is improvement, i would much rather listen to them than to some jocks lifting solely for aesthetics with 0 cardio
That's just my opinion though
>>
>>35087121
This it also seems like a cult a sense kinda like vegans ynow how they don't listen to reason but think they are right
>>
>>35087113
I second this
>>
the concept of crossfit is good; combining oly with gymastics and more

But the execution is absolutely shit. Slso the fact that the goal is to hit a number of reps which makes the athlete use momentum
>>
>>35087125
I read there was a junkyard in Britain that rented hammers and safety gear to people and let them go apeshit on the junk inside, that shit can be therapeutic.
>>
My impression of crossfit is that it is a bunch of lighter weight gymnastic type exercises at the cost of true strength or endurance training. It seems like you would end up not being able to lift a lot and not run very far, but I could be wrong because I really don't know much about the program.
>>
>>35086840
>>35086840

What I don't understand is, on the Crossfit website it gives you all these "workouts," but each one is written like,

SNATCH 175X5
DEADLIFT 300 x 2

Wouldn't the correct way to write a workout be to give percentages? Like:

SNATCH 5 x [75% 1RM]

You can't expect everyone to be at the same strength level, so why would you ever write a workout this way? To stroke your own ego posting numbers?

I mean, I just don't get this. How do people expect to improve if every time they work out they just pick some random exercise and amount of weight and try to mimic what someone three times their size does?
>>
>>35087473
those are reps, not weight :^)
>>
>>35087486

From Crossfit site:

Matt 16

For time:
16 deadlifts, 275 lb.
16 hang power cleans, 185 lb.
16 push presses, 135 lb.
Run 800 meters
16 deadlifts, 275 lb.
16 push presses, 135 lb.
Run 800 meters
16 deadlifts, 275 lb.
16 push presses, 135 lb.

Another one:

TUESDAY 151110

For time:
15 squat cleans, 155 lb.
30 toes-to-bars
30 box jumps, 24-inch box
15 muscle-ups
30 shoulders-to-overheads, 40-lb. dumbbells
30 double-unders
15 thrusters, 135 lb.
30 pull-ups
30 burpees
300-foot walking lunge with a 45-lb. plate held overhead

Post time to comments.
>>
>>35087528
he was trolling m8
anyways, it's just one crossfitter describing his workout
you can adjust numbers to your ability or check many other links available
>>
Exercise should fit your goals.

If you goals are to be entertained at the gym, be a part of a "club," make pals, and burn some calories, then Crossfit will do that.

If you want to significantly increase strength or muscle mass, Crossfit isn't going to do much for you.
>>
>>35087353
I do this on trees. It's fucking awesome.
>>
>>35086840
>why crossfit is dumb in /fit/'s eyes?
People like to hate on things. They watch a "lmfao xfit fails" video on Youtube and conclude that CrossFit is stupid as shit. Nevermind the fact that half of those fails are just regular gym-goers who do equally stupid shit all the time. Seriously, go to any commercial gym and be horrified at all the retarded shit and piss-poor lifting going on. That's in no way exclusive to CrossFit.

Granted, some of the things you see in CrossFit has a risk/reward ratio that is pants-on-head retarded. Simple stuff such as doing burpees and then jumping sideways over the rowing ergometer is begging for an injury to happen.
But, CrossFit is mainly really solid exercise choices. Heavy presses and pulls, squats, loaded carries, pushing, robe climbing, gymnastics etc. These are all great and something everybody should be doing.

Xfit allegedly has a high injury rate. Something that inevitably happens when you lift heavy shit for time in a very competitive atmosphere, although this atmosphere is also what helps a lot of lazy people actually get somewhere with their training, so it's not all bad. It's just that many men need to learn to check their ego and respect the fact that they're still not experts at those lifts they're doing.

The competition aspect leads to another thing that people hate though: kipping technique. A kipping pull-up is simply not a proper pull-up. Personally I think it's bullshit to compromise training effect just to get a better result on paper. But this kind of abusing loopholes in the rules isn't exclusive to Xfit either. It's no different than when a tiny Asian chick sets yet another World Record in powerlifting lifting with a 2 inch ROM. It's ridiculous but it's within the rules.

On a final note, nobody ever got fit from simply showing up and doing the WOD. However, those Crossfitters I know who are serious about their sport, are total badasses, no doubt about it.
>>
Does someone have the crossfit .webm that progressively speeds up. It gets me every time.

Better yet is there a youtube link of the same thing?
>>
>>35087908
>Granted, some of the things you see in CrossFit has a risk/reward ratio that is pants-on-head retarded
It's not high risk/reward
It's high risk/same reward as if you did it safely.

This is the main problem
>>
>>35087925
i think he was saying it was high risk, for little to no reward

hence the ratio is pants-on-head retarded, because people are going to snap city for nogainz
>>
>>35087925
Yeah that was my point. The risk is way too high compared to what benefit you gain, on those few weird things that they do from time to time.

But let's not ignore the fact that they do a bunch of very productive stuff as well.
>>
>>35087908
You didn't touch on what is BY FAR the biggest issue with crossfit, which makes me think your opinion is based on /fit/ memes and a willingness to contradict them.

Yeah, the injuries, the dumb exercises, the prolificness of clueless trainers and shit-tier gyms, the videos of shitty technique, all those are widespread in crossfit, but you can do crossfit style training without making all those mistakes, so those aren't much of a problem if your "box" and trainer are good.

However, crossfit itself, when perfectly executed, has a glaring flaw as an approach to fitness/exercise: Complete lack of any sort of programming, periodization and progress schemes. These are the same problems that ail your typical gym-goer that does random shit and never ups the weights so they end up spending 2 years in a gym only to look exactly the same, except now they're great at moving 15kg in 27 different directions.
>>
>>35087920
Plz someone
>>
>>35087956
>has a glaring flaw as an approach to fitness/exercise: Complete lack of any sort of programming, periodization and progress schemes.
Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was running out of space. But I completely agree - that's what I was referring to when I said that you won't get fit simply by doing the WODs.
If you want to be a good CrossFitter, you must do weightlifting, gymnastics, energy systems work etc. It's tough, and it's hard to plan. But like I said, those who manage to pull it off are really impressive.

But you know, you don't become good at Powerlifting by simply going to the gym and performing a single in the 3 powerlifts either. You need more varied and clever training than that.
>>
>some WODs call for literally hundreds of reps per set for an exercise
>speed-deadlifts
>kipping
>general lack of concern for form
>general lack of knowledge of the trainers
>pointless and/or dangerously stupid exercises

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_3FUHQJOYk
>>
>>35088076
Don't you think you're generalizing a bit there?

A guy who trains at my gym and competes at an international level also teaches weightlifting at the local CrossFit box. Lack of concern of form? Lack of knowledge of trainers?
>>
>>35088245
The qualification for a crossfire trainer is several hours long. What you want is someone with ACSM or NASM certifications.
>>
>>35088287
What you're not realizing is that more often than not - least in my experience - these will be highly motivated people who have all kinds of fitness related educations.
The one CrossFit "qualified" trainer I know is also CSCS and a bunch of other stuff.

Of course there are terrible CrossFit gyms and terrible coaches and instructors, but the points is: That situation is NOT exclusive to CrossFit. I mean, just think about how many ridiculous stories about "personal trainers" you've heard. But there are good PTs too. Just like there are good CrossFit boxes. It's stupid to call CrossFit bad, just because you heard some bad stories.
>>
Mark Rippetoe wrote an article about crossfit on T-nation and essentially took a giant shit on it.
The pros of crossfit is that it has put barbells into more people's hands than ever before. bar none.
The cons is that most crossfitters have no experience preforming these lifts safely and many of these lifts are complex lifts that shouldn't be done after fatigue sets in.
Compounded with the fact that crossfit has no progression so once you hit intermediate status and need more complicated programming, you will struggle to make gains. Crossfit is a good way to induce supercompensation in novices because the load is always changing and a novices body can adapt to just about anything, but every crossfitter will eventually hit a wall where the WOD just cant do it for them anymore.
Also, its fun to look at crossfit fags. the chicks are hot tho
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.