[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Cardio General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (126 KB, 432x200) Image search: [Google]
image.png
126 KB, 432x200
Been running with pic related, new balance minimus, for the last year or so and have loved them for use on grass trails and the like but now I'll be needing to run on concrete and after using them just then I think i might need something with more padding if I'm gonna keep this up, so what shoe do you guys suggest I should get?

Also post your stats
>10km
50min
>5km
22min

How do I get this shit down guys, I've reached a point where going for the occasional run each week isn't dropping these times any further and I might need a routine of sorts
>>
>>35086480
Start off three sessions steady state, one session high intensity.
>>
>>35086480
I donĀ“t do much cardio, but my colleague who runs everyday is a big fan of Asics.
>>
>>35086480
10km
52min
5km
24min
>>
>>35086656
very light weight shoe
>>
Haven't run a 10k in forever
5k 21min
>>
File: Custom.png (148 KB, 300x179) Image search: [Google]
Custom.png
148 KB, 300x179
I've posted a few times before.

>be me. Love Donkeys
>2010, Donkey Sanctuary Ireland ask people to run the Cork City Marathon
>think, fuck it, 4 weeks away I can do that!
>put on my cons, go for a run - fucking die
>finally my vibram 5 fingers arrive
>3 weeks to go
>Day of Marathon, perfect conditions, but the course is very hilly... have never ran an organised run before
>start slow. first half takes longer than my second half, last 2 km are flat out
>finish marathon in 3:48 (just wanted to do it in under 4 hours)

bretty appy.

>fast forward a few years... haven't run since, because I don't run
>decide to do the London Marathon for the Donkey Sanctuary
>have 6 months to train, decide I want to beat 3 hours (I've no idea if this is even possible, I don't run and have only ever ran the 1 marathon)
>order the DIY kit from xero shoes.
>train.
TFW first sub 20min 5km!
TFW first sub 40 minute 10km!!
TFW first sub 1hr 15km!!!
> 2 weeks out, do wicklow gaol break half marathon
>1:36 (I think)
BANG ON TRACK!
>Go to london
>do the Marathon.. it's a very hot day... I do my electrolites badly (inexpereince) cramping from 10k in
>soldier on, fucking cramps the whole way
Finish in 3:08. Pretty happy, but also kinda sad I didn't break the 3 hour barrier (or even the Boston qualifier) but so what, I raised 2.5k for the Donkey Sanctuary and did a massive thing. So I'm happy.

Have ran maybe 3 times in the 18 months since.

Pic related, not my pic, but the absolute epitome of running shoe.

I love the original minimus, but they stopped making them (maybe they were too good, lasted forever!).

If you need padding you're running incorrectly, simple as that. The best thing you can do for yourself is learn to run properly. Correct form is the gift that keeps on giving. You will be faster and more efficient and you'll just keep getting hte most bang for your buck.
>>
>>35086638
can anyone else vouch for em?
>>
>2015
>people still use running as a form of cardio
literally why?
its not even an effective form of cardio, compared to more intense alternatives, it wreaks havoc on your knees, and is boring as fuck.

why not get heart health and endorphins from superior forms of cardio?
>>
>>35087041
You must be naturally very skinny.
>>
>>35088154
A lot of us enjoy running, simple as that. Don't like it? Do something else
>>
Recently stopped running to get back on my weight lifting cycle, fuck, running is great

>>35088154
This is bait and not true
>>
18min 5k
Don't run longer distances than that because I understand the negatives of SSC and of cortisol.
>>
>>35086480
>using balance mememus
>>
>>35087601
I've owned 4 pairs of Asics in the last 4 years. I've also heard great things about Brooks. But it really depends on your foot, your stride, your body, etc. What I highly recommend is going to a specialized running store and having them suggest a pair for you. They'll take into account your foot length, width, arches, and pronation. A local store I go to, has me try on a pair, and then run on a treadmill that has a camera recording the back of my legs. They can use that to see if the shoe is working for me.

Also be prepared to pay 100+ dollars on a pair. But quality really does go a long way
>>
>>35089857
NOBODY LISTEN TO THIS SHIT
All running stores tell every single person (EVERY SINGLE PERSON unless you've already been running for years) that they have overpronation (which may or may no be true of individuals) and that they therefore need "support" shoes to "fix" it.

THOSE SHOES MAKE YOUR FEET, ANKLES, AND CALVES WEAKER BY SUPPORTING THEM!

I'm not saying you have to run barefoot, or that support in shoes is bad 100% of the time, but holy shit stop buying crutches like they're fucking strength trainers.

RUNNING IN SUPPORT SHOES IS LITERALLY THE CARDIO VERSION OF SQUATTING IN THE SMITH MACHINE

>end psa
>>
File: Q1kvSbC.jpg (44 KB, 500x349) Image search: [Google]
Q1kvSbC.jpg
44 KB, 500x349
>>35086480
My stats are : dyel,I swim 2 times a week and can comfortably run 200 metres.

My physiotherapeutist told me to exercise more so I've been looking to do more swimming and hiking(going up a hill in my town). While on the hike an elderly gentleman gave me a flyer to the annual city marathon so I thought I'd apply.

Should I sign myself up? Is 160 days enough to prepare myself for a 21 km run? How do I prepare?
>>
>>35086480
>implying I can run 5km
>>
File: 1443185846390.gif (1 MB, 402x285) Image search: [Google]
1443185846390.gif
1 MB, 402x285
>>35087041
>reads born to run
>thinks he's an expert
>river dances down the street as hi test qts laugh and his knees cry
>>
>>35090360
Holy fuck you're stupid
>>
>>35090360
See
>>35089892

And I've never even heard of the book you're trying to reference, so please take your strawman and place it so far inside your anus that it will never come back out :^)
>>
>>35089892
I bet you run toe strike don't you?
>>
>>35090535
Oh what, you're mad?
>>
>>35090555
When running, you must make sure that you land as flat and hard on your heels as possible, right anon? :^)
>>
Jesus this thread went to shit
>>
>>35086480

Go to a running store and get properly fit. Don't buy any inserts no matter what, at the very most try a stability shoe. If you don't NEED support but are told that you may benefit from it, try a neutral shoe first. Use those terms in what you request. A competent runner store employee will know what that means.

>10km
32:17
>5k
15:40
>>
File: asic cumulus 16.jpg (7 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
asic cumulus 16.jpg
7 KB, 225x225
I use pic related, their pretty all around good.
>>
>>35088154
>>Implying it's not the single most effective way to burn calories in a single hour.
>>Implying it can't be done at high intensity.
>>Implying it wreaks havoc on your knees if done on soft surfaces, with good form, while wearing good properly fitted running shoes.
>>Implying it's not a highly social activity given the prevalence of road races that allows you access to see a considerable amount of a given area by foot in a short period of time.
>>
>>35091139
How do you recommend getting run times down? My Current weekly run schedule is 1 LSD run, 2 sessions of
60/120s and 30/60s, and one two mile run for time. Am I goofing?
>>
>>35087041

I used to work at a running store. New Balance stopped making the Minimus because people were being irresponsible and trying to do too much in them, and NB was afraid of a lawsuit (like what happened with Vibram). It's a good shoe for what it's meant to do, but not much else.
>>
>>35089892

This is a bit hyperbolic. I would agree that there's a tendency to over-recommend support inserts (especially Fleet Feet sports stores, which have a financial relationship with SuperFeet orthotic inserts). But most running stores have tended towards suggesting more neutral shoes than stability in recent years. While over-supporting a foot can be a problem, you're not really doing damage unless you're heavily over-supported (which you WILL feel, typically lateral ankle pain, IT band pain, or hip pain in women). But supporting a pronating foot doesn't weaken it any more than being in a cushioned shoe in the first place. If you're concerned with foot strength, do a few 50-100m barefoot strides on grass 2-3 times per week. That is literally all you need.

'Born to Run' was debunked ages ago, keep up.
>>
>>35090595

Actually, the foot should be as close to parallel to the ground as possible, dorsiflexing through the stride, with weight hitting the center of the foot (which should be directly under your center of gravity) meaning that the heel will make contact with the ground though it won't bear much of a load.
>>
>>35091189

What do you mean by 60/120s and 30/60s?

What are your goals? I don't need to know specific times, but are you trying to get faster for a 5k, mile, marathon, just general fitness? When do you want to be faster by? These probably sound like lame rhetorical questions but they're important in my answer.

Also, any answer I give will be answered better by buying and reading this book --> http://www.amazon.com/Daniels-Running-Formula-3E-Jack-ebook/dp/B00F0X7U2S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1448916906&sr=8-1&keywords=jack+daniels+training+formula

A lot of what I learned, I learned from getting direct coaching clinics from this guy. He is excellent, and helped to revolutionize the running boom in the 70s and 80s by introducing empirically tested exercise physiology into distance running training.
>>
Are other types of cardio 'allowed' in here?
If so, any basketball players around?
>>
>>35091310
Run hard, not dead sprint, but as fast as sustainable for 60 seconds, then walk 120 seconds. Same principle with 30/60, but usually able to run faster since it's a shorter interval. I do 6-8 sets of 60/120s, followed by 4-8 sets of 30/60s.

Goal is a 21 minute 5k and sub45 min 10k. Actually haven't really raced the clock to check PR times, but during workouts am getting about a 25 min 5k and 55-60 min 10k. I just started really running for the first time in my life about 5 months ago.
>>
>>35091508

Yeah, you'd be pretty much prime for that book I linked. Your training will be much more effective the more accurately you know your current fitness across a variety of race distances. They don't have to come from actual races; time trials are effective if done somewhere you can trust the distance.

Your 60/120s and 30/60s are a good form of training, though the volume sounds a bit high to me for a relative novice. Try doing that workout on a track, replacing the 60/120 with a 400m run with a 200m walk, and the 30/60 with a 200m run and a 100m walk. This will allow you to compare efforts and you can see if you're getting faster or slower within a workout or across days. Ideally you should be getting faster both within a workout and across sessions.

If your goal is to drop your 5k and 10k times, I would recommend switching out that workout at least occasionally with some longer intervals run at your goal race pace. Your goal race pace should be faster than your current pace, but within reason. So if you're currently hitting a 25 minute 5k in practice, you can maybe hit a 22-23 minute 5k in a race (that's a very rough guess, actually racing will give you a better idea). 21 is a big jump from 23... not so much from 22 of course. There is something like n00b gains in running though so who knows.

If your current fitness is 23:00, and your goal is 21:00, try running 10x400m with the first 5 reps at 23:00 pace and the second 5 at 21:00 pace. Take a 200m slow jog in between... I would jog, not walk. If that session goes well (it should be effortful but controlled) then try 10x500, then 8x600, then 6x800, then 5x1000, then 4x1200 etc. you get the idea. Get creative with it.

My college coach used to mix up the intervals, so one instead of 8x1000, we might do 2k, 4x1k, 500 (very short rest) another 500 x2, all getting progressively faster.
>>
>>35091771

This all presumes you have access to a 400m track; do you?
>>
>>35088230
I'm naturally very athletic and cardio endurance stuff is what I'm predisposed to. It's great for any kind of sport but gaining weight and strength doesn't come easy to me. I do double body weight squats now though and can dunk as King of manlets 5'11.

>>35090360
I never read born to run. But my background is combat sports where technique is paramount. So I was happy to learn the style. And the results speak for themselves. You fat weakling.
>>
>>35091848
>he doesn't have access to a meticulously cared for grass track used for children's athletics

Not the guy you're talking to but I got lucky as fuck. Search around for little athletics and check which parks they do it at, usually have a simple grass track in a public park
>>
>>35091951

Sure. Anything that is 400m around with each 100m marked off will do just fine.
>>
>>35091192
what kinda things are they for / not for?
>>
>>35092148

They were never meant to be a primary training shoe (with the possible exception of exclusive use on soft surfaces). This is directly from the mouths of the New Balance sales rep and tech. rep to the territory I was working in.
>>
>>35091771
Just got back from a 5mile run. Thanks for the tips and book link, I'll check it out.

We're all gonna make it brah
Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.