[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/fit/, is using a smith machine for bench press really that bad?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /fit/ - Fitness

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: bench.jpg (80 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
bench.jpg
80 KB, 1280x720
/fit/, is using a smith machine for bench press really that bad? I have no spotter and feel like this is majorly holding back my press, a Smith would take this out of the equation. I've been focusing on hypertrophy for a while and want to get some strength gains so need to incorporate more bench into my routine.
Inb4 get a spotter - my training times are too erratic for a training partner.
>>
>>35074958
Just ask someone to spot you.Yes it is bad it messes with form since it can only move up and down.
>>
>>35074958
Racks have safeties you know..

And yes, it's pretty bad. Bench on the smith machine for a while and then try doing a regular bench. You'll convulse a bit. It's because your balancing muscles aren't getting worked.

You could tilt the bar any which way, move it side to side, back and forth. Tilting up and down helps balance the weight on each arm too.
>>
>>35074958
You are just pushing and not stabilizing.
Guess how that will play out.

>Inb4 get a spotter - my training times are too erratic for a training partner.

>find someone who is resting
>hey dude, can you spot me real quick?
>dude spots you

Not that fucking hard.
>>
I only have access to one as one. I have no power rack at my gym and the squat racks they have have no "spotter" bar to prevent snap city. Don't have a lifting partner either. Should I be doing Smith Machine Squats or Hack Squats?
>>
>>35074958
I love how you're that autistic and socially awkward that you automatically assume you need a training partner in order for someone to spot you.

All you need to do is ask someone else in the gym, you fucking retard.
>>
>>35074958
>>35074983
I mean, don't get me wrong, you can get fairly impressive on a smith machine, but as soon as you get on a bench in front of people, you'll look like you're struggling no matter how little weight you put on it because you'll be shaking as you press. That shaking is your stabilizing muscles on the fritz.

As far as aesthetics, it affects symmetry and it starts to look funny the higher up in weight you go.

For function, the stabilizers don't do their job. For example, if you look all big and strong and a girl asks you to bench her, you'll feel like you're struggling to her as you shake pressing her 120 lbs. body and it sways side to side and gives out on one arm first
>>
>>35074958
>racks and benches have safeties
>you can ask a nigger to spot you that is not you're partner
>>
>>35074999
? Do high bar squats. If you can't lift the weight dump it behind you. Definitely dont use the fucking smith machine to squat you fucking autist. You sound like you don't lift

>trips doe
>>
File: HF310.jpg (20 KB, 419x366) Image search: [Google]
HF310.jpg
20 KB, 419x366
>>35074999
>I only have access to one as one
Wha?
why would a pwerack or squat rack not have the safety thing.
>You cannot do squats on a smith machine anymore than you could on a pinball machine-rippetoe
>>
>>35075018
I'm not op but I have a related question. Are the stabilizers you use for bench/ohp different than the ones you use for incline press and if so, does that mean that SSers usually shake and wiggle when they incline press? I can bench 275 3*5 and I wiggle on 155 incline press
>>
>>35075078
Yes, of course the stabilizers are different and the same ones used are used at different intensities. Those are different exercises. That's like asking if the same muscle group is used or not.

Yes, they will wiggle a little.But you shouldn't do 5x5's from DYEL to world record lifts without ever branching out into other shit. SS should probably be stopped after noob gains plateau.

Pretty sure at 275 bench you've plateaued once or twice, unless you're 6'7". Either that or you're not correctly doing the math.
>>
>>35075182
SS allows for three plateaus. I went from a 185 3*5 bench @180 lbs over 10 months to 275 3*5 @220. I switched to a ppl program after I plateaued in all SS lifts.
>>
>>35075182
6'2 btw
>>
>>35074958
Smith machines are bad for anything, period.
>>
When I go to the gym it's do or die. No spotter, No assistance.
>>
>tfw only 1 bench at my gym
>its so fucking narrow
>always one shoulder blade falling off the edge
>never get above 2pl8 because I am scared I might slip and hurt myself
>chest looks like shit
>>
My gym has one bench and one smith-jones machine. I often have to use the smith-jones as the regular bench is always busy.

I find no difference between the two. I actually prefer the smith-jones for things like close-grip bench as I find it isolates better.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.